NEWS

Jumping back into Shadowrun

• 35 Replies

Malroth

• Newb
« on: <10-03-10/2031:21> »
So, after taking about 10 years off from Shadowrun, I decided to pick it back up again and start running.  I thought the best thing to do was to pick up the Artifacts adventures and start the group on those, since I'm a bit rusty, and half the group are completely new to the game.  So far it has been going quite well.

That being said, I'm starting to look at what books I really should pick up, since I'd really like this thing to continue - not to mention having some filler runs between the main adventures.  What main sourcebooks would people recommend?  So far I've just got the main book (anniversary edition) and Street Magic.

I'll say this though, it is great being back. :)

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <10-03-10/2036:21> »
Well being a Catalyst Freelancer (For BattleTech mostly) I have an advantage of being able to ask experts. When I asked Randall what were the things I should read to get back into the universe his answer was. SR4A, Runner's Companion, 6th World Almanac, Unwired, Augmentation, Arsenal and Street Magic.

For just game play you can probably skip the Almanac. It's a great "universe" source book, but doesn't have rules and must have info.

Best,
Joel BC
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

Malroth

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-03-10/2048:09> »
Sweet, thanks.  Actually picking up all of those is exactly within my budget too - I really do want the almanac.  The background stuff is always good, especially when 20 years of game time have passed since I last played.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <10-03-10/2050:21> »
Don't forget Runner's Companion. Like it's predecessors, it gives a lot of great alternatives and additions to the game.

Also, remember that most of the additional rules in the other books are Advanced rules, so don't feel you have to use something if you're not comfortable with it.

Malroth

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-03-10/2105:50> »
Absolutely.  I'm in the "fun" area of knowing things that I (or my players) should be able to do, because of 2nd (and a bit of 3rd) edition experience.  More than once already in the 4 sessions we've played so far I've thought "Well, why don't they do this....oh wait, I have no rules for that.  Huh.  I bet it's in 'x' book."  But then you throw the new Matrix rules at me, and I'm basically useless, flipping from page to page trying to figure out what they're doing. :)

For that reason I might skip initially on the Unwired book, since I'm still trying to grasp the rules of the basic set, though getting it now and just shelving it for the time being might be better.  Still deciding.

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <10-03-10/2156:09> »
Psst, Jack. I did mention the Runner's Companion. I think you've got a data loop running, might want to clear your cache and check for tracer programs messing up your reads. :)
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <10-03-10/2211:24> »
Okay, listen. YOU go to a day of seminars (highlighted by a keynote speech by Greek Squad founder Robert Stephens), then a day of training, then sleep in the lobby of MSP airport to catch a 6AM flight back to PA, meet with friends, stay with family, watch the Eagle self-destruct, then go on TWO job interviews before flying BACK to Minnesota that night so you can get to work Tuesday morning at 7AM. lol

;D

Malroth

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <10-03-10/2215:35> »
Aaaaand Fastjack wins.  :)  But then again, just being in Minnesota is a win.

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-03-10/2219:35> »
Okay, listen. YOU go to a day of seminars (highlighted by a keynote speech by Greek Squad founder Robert Stephens), then a day of training, then sleep in the lobby of MSP airport to catch a 6AM flight back to PA, meet with friends, stay with family, watch the Eagle self-destruct, then go on TWO job interviews before flying BACK to Minnesota that night so you can get to work Tuesday morning at 7AM. lol

I think we give the Hacker a pass. No one wants to wake up to have their toaster trying to assassinate them.

Cheers FJ and good luck on the job interviews.
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #9 on: <10-04-10/0813:09> »
Arsenal greatly increases the survivability and power of riggers and all personal combatants through an infusion of weapons, armor and vehicles, along with the rules to modify them all to gleaming goodness.  Martial arts and the toxins and drugs are also very good additions to help people keep up with the mage.

Runner's Companion, despite its flaws is still a great source of character depth for people getting into the game.  There are a lot of new options and qualities that can destabilize a game if abused, but which generally just add to the flavor.  I'm a big fan of the "Advanced Lifestyles" in their more intricate look at life in the 6th world.  Ever wondered just what it means to have a "Street" lifestyle?  Well, it's there on the page.  Great resources for Players and GMs to draw from.

Unwired might seem like it is only useful to Hackers, Riggers and Technomancers, but.. well.. it pretty much is.  There is a lot of internal contradiction as to just what can be done with and in the matrix.  Enough that lots of tables just outright handwave it away.  I feel like this is a terrible thing though, because the Matrix is literally everywhere in the 4th ed setting.  Without it, there's really something missing.  Big utility of this book is for GMs to help develop their setting.  Also, things like program options and commlink upgrades are useful to all the characters, so long as you're playing in a truly jacked-in world.  Technomancers are made considerably more powerful by the rules included here.

Augmentation is the mundanes' best friend.  Another step closer to non-mage characters being able to bust heads like a wizard.  The section on biodrones, cyberzombies and other monstrosities are pretty good GM fodder.  The advanced medicine rules are great fluff as well.

Hope this helps you figure out where your priorities are bound to take you first.

mortonstromgal

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-04-10/1240:40> »
Other than SR4A the only other book I recommend is Seattle 2072 for a GM. If your not going to play in Seattle then that becomes much less important. The "core" books do add a lot of options/gear but I don't feel any of it is needed, especially unwired, but it will all depend on what your PCs create if you'll use them or not.

[edit] The reason I recommend Seattle 2072 is the street talk is full of adventure ideas, I could run years of gaming just off the ideas presented from the street talk, none of the core books street talk or fiction did this for me.
« Last Edit: <10-04-10/1244:59> by mortonstromgal »

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <10-04-10/1611:04> »
Also keep in mind, that the core books (http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/2010/09/more-street-dates/) will all be reprinted to match the page numbers in SR4A edition (along with minor errata fixed).  You may want to wait until after the reprints if you can.  Or just pick up the PDFs for now.

Street Magic is the first to be reprinted.  Ironically, that is the first core book I picked up in hardcopy aside from the main SR4A book.

EDIT:  Actually, now that I re-read that link, it looks like only the Street Magic book is being reprinted so far.  Nothing else has been announced.
« Last Edit: <10-04-10/1613:40> by Qemuel »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #12 on: <10-04-10/1630:45> »
Also keep in mind, that the core books (http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/2010/09/more-street-dates/) will all be reprinted to match the page numbers in SR4A edition (along with minor errata fixed).  You may want to wait until after the reprints if you can.  Or just pick up the PDFs for now.

Street Magic is the first to be reprinted.  Ironically, that is the first core book I picked up in hardcopy aside from the main SR4A book.

EDIT:  Actually, now that I re-read that link, it looks like only the Street Magic book is being reprinted so far.  Nothing else has been announced.
You were right the first time. Nothing's been announced, but JMH is working on it.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <10-04-10/1740:19> »
Thanks for the list Joel! Now where's my sammich'...err...3039 list?  ;)
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <10-04-10/1914:43> »
Also keep in mind, that the core books (http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/2010/09/more-street-dates/) will all be reprinted to match the page numbers in SR4A edition (along with minor errata fixed).  You may want to wait until after the reprints if you can.  Or just pick up the PDFs for now.

Street Magic is the first to be reprinted.  Ironically, that is the first core book I picked up in hardcopy aside from the main SR4A book.

You were right the first time. Nothing's been announced, but JMH is working on it.

Doh!  and of course I replied to the thread, then promptly forgot about it.