What's your 'plex?

• 62 Replies

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« on: <09-09-10/1809:51> »
Hoi all.

Just wondering, where is everyone from and does anyone use their hometown in their games or just stick to Seattle as their main setting?

Me, I hail from Northwest Ohio near Toledo. I got bored with Seattle and decided to use my home area in my games (one factor being the relative familiarity of home to draw in new players). I even converted the Glass City into a sort of Mini-Detroit with a lot of local landmarks and places of interest for flavor. Add in a few political factions, organized crime, and gangs, and BLAMMO, instant Plex.

Anyone else done this?
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #1 on: <09-09-10/1943:42> »
I'm near Orlando....

I use alot of the locations already detailed in the books I even did one where the team traveled the world.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <09-09-10/2000:07> »
Mystic:  I used Cleveland for a long time.  Used to have the file up on my webpage...  i should really get that stuff back up and running one of these days.

When i played my original long running game, Bull & Co. originally ran out of Chicago, and after the bugs hit and we finally escaped, we went to Cleveland, since that's where I was originally from.  Since Chicago had been such a Corp hub for the Midwest, after it fell some of the corps set up shop in Cleveland.  I had Ashtabula nuked (They set up a power plant that went critical and melted down), there was a partially built Renraku Archology (Which is where we did our Shutdown adventures), etc...

Bull

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-09-10/2028:48> »
From Seattle, and use allot of the places i have been to in my running....Italy, Australia, lived in Germany (BEST place ever), London, Austin Tx, Korea (awesome place, and using Seoul as a sprawl is great...lived there for 15 months), And i include some runs to the Middle east. But my main place is still Seattle; I like the feel and know the area. Also use allot of the country side and the ocean as well. Take care runners!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <09-09-10/2031:44> »
I like to have the runners jump all over the world, going where the work sends them. Usually I'll base it out of Seattle, though.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-10/2038:39> »
Mystic:  I used Cleveland for a long time.  Used to have the file up on my webpage...  i should really get that stuff back up and running one of these days.

When i played my original long running game, Bull & Co. originally ran out of Chicago, and after the bugs hit and we finally escaped, we went to Cleveland, since that's where I was originally from.  Since Chicago had been such a Corp hub for the Midwest, after it fell some of the corps set up shop in Cleveland.  I had Ashtabula nuked (They set up a power plant that went critical and melted down), there was a partially built Renraku Archology (Which is where we did our Shutdown adventures), etc...

Bull

Sweet, I turned Perrysburg (the RICH area) turn into a gang-riddled free-fire zone.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Hand Amputation

• Newb
  • GUNK!
« Reply #6 on: <09-09-10/2127:43> »
The bleak suburban sprawl known as Oklahoma.

Beansidhe

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-09-10/2158:59> »
For Shadowrun I have based out of Seattle, though I live in San Francisco (just south).  When I have run in the past I have sent people around the world at times to where they are needed for the run.

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« Reply #8 on: <09-09-10/2204:12> »
I live in the Washington D.C. area these days, but my preferred locale for games is my old hometown of Denver.
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

Faradon

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-09-10/2228:21> »
Sorry that's too much personal information for you... god knows what sort of scheme you have brewing.... damn deckers...er... hackers!

In all seriousness though, I try to encourage players to move on to a new sprawl, if only for a while once they have gained enough public awareness / noteriety... plus it just keeps things fun.  My favorite places to run games are Chicago, Seattle, and Las Vegas.  In the near future I plan to send players to Lagos, Hong Kong, Vladivostok, and somewhere in Japan.  Some places I enjoy because of the home turf advantage, some due to experiences with being stationed there in the military, and some because I really like the way they are written up in the sourcebooks.

raben-aas

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-10-10/0446:16> »
I've been running the shadows of Seattle, Hamburg and the ones of my hometown Berlin, where I run most of the time by now.
-+-+-+-+-
Visit my Deviantart gallery: http://raben-aas.deviantart.com/gallery/
And my German SR website with lots of equipment: http://www.raben-aas.de/

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <09-10-10/0452:37> »
Munich, AGS, erm, germany. Years ago, when we started out with Shadowrun we used to run Seattle. But now we stick to german cities. Some we know (Munich, Regensburg), some we don't (Dortmund/Bochum/Essen/Etc.) but run them nevertheless :)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Inverse

• Newb
  • Fireball!
« Reply #12 on: <09-10-10/0626:37> »
Yokohama, Though I've made runs as far south as Okinawa before changing locales to Seattle. Lone Star can't touch whatever files Renraku has on me without causing an "inter-corporational incident". ;D
Oh, source of all power, light which burns beyond crimson, let thy power gather in my hand.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #13 on: <09-10-10/0721:08> »
Novi... Not exactly the Mean streets. ;)
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #14 on: <09-10-10/1434:36> »
I prefer seattle just because I like the "feel" of it. It's not overly balanced to any one "side" it's kept in balance by everyone being a little nutz. ;)

I live in orlando but before that i was in south georgia (basically in the okeefenokee swamp); and I started (but never finished) a Fanbook on southern GA down to central FLA. There is a TERRIBLE lack of detail on the CAS so i figgered i would flesh out kings bay (CAS's nuke sub head quarters), jacksonville (one of three of the Cas's main ports), the central FLA megaplex (the AA corp that diseny had become) and finally detail out how the okeefenokee swamp and the everglades responded to the awakening.
I'll have to look for all that stuff sometime to see if i can get the inspiration to finish it.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept