NEWS

Welcome!

• 772 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #390 on: <08-11-12/1625:28> »
Yeah, it's not like the old days.   :'(  There was RESPECT back in the old days.

GIT OFF MAH LAWN!!!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #391 on: <08-11-12/1851:45> »
The "three guys in a garage" community is coming back slowly.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #392 on: <08-11-12/2058:39> »
The "three guys in a garage" community is coming back slowly.
My garage is too cold to write in, otherwise my stuff would be one-guy-in-a-garage.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #393 on: <08-11-12/2111:24> »
He was active in the old UseNet boards, which even *I* can't claim, and I'm older'n dirt. He was a frequent chatter there, so ...

Yeah, that's basically how TWO was put in.

... writers do *not* put their own avatars in the game. Editorial would pull 'em out, and the rest of the gang would mercilessly pummel them. Seriously, if CanRay was in the books, you think the freelancers could stop themselves from abusing him in every product? :)

Well, not CanRay - but still, avatars get put in, in one manner or another.  Demonseed Elite certainly wasn't an on-the-spot invention, and I'd be willing to bet that other names in the supplements have personal-game origins.  Besides that, though, every author of fiction puts notable elements of themselves in the people they write about.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #394 on: <08-11-12/2116:52> »
Personally, I'd love to see a little bit of that old giveback to the community at large, but, these days, RPG companies are owned by conglomerates, not three guys in a garage. There're legal hurdles, NDA agreements, copyright issues ... it makes it tricky.

Yeah...like the guy that "borrowed" a large section of the old Eridani Light Horse write-up, then added his own fan-fiction
to it(putting himself in) and tried to claim that because of that, he should own the BattleTech IP....and tried to fight for
that in court(thankfully..he LOST)... It is a sad state when there cannot be nods like that to fans anymore because
of guys like that..

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #395 on: <08-11-12/2257:20> »
... writers do *not* put their own avatars in the game. Editorial would pull 'em out, and the rest of the gang would mercilessly pummel them. Seriously, if CanRay was in the books, you think the freelancers could stop themselves from abusing him in every product? :)
Well, not CanRay
Why not, I'm abused here, I'm abused in real life, I might as well shove an avatar into the books to get some abuse as well.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #396 on: <08-12-12/1023:08> »
Personally, I'd love to see a little bit of that old giveback to the community at large, but, these days, RPG companies are owned by conglomerates, not three guys in a garage. There're legal hurdles, NDA agreements, copyright issues ... it makes it tricky.

Yeah...like the guy that "borrowed" a large section of the old Eridani Light Horse write-up, then added his own fan-fiction
to it(putting himself in) and tried to claim that because of that, he should own the BattleTech IP....and tried to fight for
that in court(thankfully..he LOST)... It is a sad state when there cannot be nods like that to fans anymore because
of guys like that..

Oof. Missed that.Yeah, that guy was a bonehead and things like that screw things up for everybody.

Brief aside to the people of the world? Don't be That Guy. You mean the Light Horse Guy up above? Him, and others. Any time there's something that hurts society, like the guy who weaves through traffic to get a few inches ahead, or the guy who opens a box in a store to look at a product, then sets it down and buys a different one because "Somebody's opened that one already", etc etc ect? Just don't be That Guy.

Everybody comes out better. (But we're now way off topic, so, hi new people! Welcome!)

grumble

« Reply #397 on: <08-17-12/0938:11> »
Hello all. *nervously*

I am new to shadowrun in fact ive never played it before. I am an AD&D player form the 80's till 2nd ed. (summer camp beginings) and im ready to jump into Shadowrun.

I am starting fresh with no opinions past liking the ruleset ive been exposed to in the past. I read Gamma World rules (and played em) back i n the 80's and somewhat, just a little think its compareable.

I dont even have any of the books yet.

the Grumble  ;D
« Last Edit: <08-17-12/1007:59> by grumble »

grumble

« Reply #398 on: <08-17-12/1009:52> »
and if anyone cares....

grumble was the name of the first character i ever RPed. also the first online forum name i ever used.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #399 on: <08-17-12/1023:29> »
Welcome! Feel free to cruise around, ask questions, and join the discussions. If you're looking at picking up the game, I recommend getting the Shadowrun 20th Anniversary book (available at Amazon, Battlecorps;or in PDF at BattleCorps and DriveThruRPG). Also, the Quick-start rules are free here and here.

grumble

« Reply #400 on: <08-17-12/1033:13> »
greetings Mr FastJack!

I plan to go shooping for book rules soon and ill be sure to take a look at that title.

The forums are pretty extensive.

lots to do!

Edit:

Im going to the hobby store soon to pick up a 4ed book. As it seem most popular.

Any die-hard 'previous' edition players out there please let yourselves be known. I want to explorer the chance that folk play older editions as their campaign settings. They reflect the timline or does it matter....etc, etc.
« Last Edit: <08-17-12/1127:44> by grumble »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #401 on: <08-17-12/1235:48> »
<corporate shilling>
Well, if you REALLY like the old school (and who doesn't?), Catalyst just released a brand new setting book: Shadowrun 2050 which let's you play in the classic era with the current rules set
</corporate shilling>

KnightAries

• Newb
« Reply #402 on: <08-18-12/0124:30> »
<corporate shilling>
Well, if you REALLY like the old school (and who doesn't?), Catalyst just released a brand new setting book: Shadowrun 2050 which let's you play in the classic era with the current rules set
</corporate shilling>

It's really going to stir some memories; hatchetman, capt chaos, and deckers commenting on combat gear (somebody has to :-D )
Ramirez: Most people have a full measure of life... and most people just watch it slowly drip away. But if you can summon it all up... at one time... in one place... you can accomplish something... glorious.

Apokalyptyka2012

• Newb
« Reply #403 on: <09-12-12/1409:40> »
Hi all, I'm kind of new to SR, though I've read at least 20 of the novels, (some were written before I was born XD) I also own copies of SR4A, Augmentation, Arsenal, Street Magic, and Unwired. (btw the first SR books I read were that trilogy from the 80's something to do with a dragon in the title of one of them...can't remember now)
"To Run...Or Not To Run...THAT is the fragging question!"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #404 on: <09-12-12/1427:20> »
Hi all, I'm kind of new to SR, though I've read at least 20 of the novels, (some were written before I was born XD) I also own copies of SR4A, Augmentation, Arsenal, Street Magic, and Unwired. (btw the first SR books I read were that trilogy from the 80's something to do with a dragon in the title of one of them...can't remember now)
Never Trust a Dragon by Robert N. Charrette.

And welcome to the boards! Have fun, ask questions, and join in the conversations.