NEWS

Damage Reduction x Armor

• 8 Replies

LemosNAM

• Newb
« on: <06-05-20/2356:14> »
Hello runners. Give me a hand will ya?

In SRA armor works like an extra HP layer, once per combat. When the armor has soaked its maximum value, it stops working right?

How about damage reduction (DR)? The book gives no explanation whatsoever. I am guessing that it reduces damage from each source every single time.

So if you are hit twice for 6 and 8 damage and you have DR3, you take 3dmg from source #1 and 5dmg from source #2.
Also, I assume this only happens once the armor is gone.

Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Mainly I`d like to know it there is an official guide to handling this. My main concers are threefold:
(1) Does DR work every time you  take damage (each source)?
(2) Or does it work once per combat scene (seems very weak this way).
(3) Does it work while armor is on?
« Last Edit: <06-10-20/1420:42> by LemosNAM »

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <06-08-20/0628:16> »
I hope someone answers these questions.  I am confused as well.

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-08-20/1214:01> »
The nice thing about Anarchy: If you feel that DR should work only after Armor is depleted, and you feel that THAT is how it should work, then THAT is how it works. Just be consistent with the players and NPCs.

If you feel that DR works even when taking damage to Armor, then THAT is how it works.  Just be consistent with the players and NPCs.

You might make exceptions for AA damage (like manabolt) or certain types of damage (like, does having metal bones help you survive fire damage?).
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <06-08-20/2001:05> »
What is AA damage?

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-08-20/2338:07> »
Armor Avoidance. A few spells have this quality. It will say in the Amp.

net hits go toward bypassing armor instead of ramping up damage.
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

LemosNAM

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-10-20/1412:07> »
What is AA damage?
Moonrunner, there is a topic about it on Shadowrun Anarchy Forum. Check it out. But basicaly it bypasses the armor layer inflicting damage directl;y to the character Condition Monitor.

LemosNAM

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-10-20/1416:55> »
The nice thing about Anarchy: If you feel that DR should work only after Armor is depleted, and you feel that THAT is how it should work, then THAT is how it works. Just be consistent with the players and NPCs.

If you feel that DR works even when taking damage to Armor, then THAT is how it works.  Just be consistent with the players and NPCs.

You might make exceptions for AA damage (like manabolt) or certain types of damage (like, does having metal bones help you survive fire damage?).

Hey Gingivitis, thanks for your time.
I get it that SRA is meant to be rules light and all that. But for me I personaly feel there is much gapping in the rules. Been rules light doesn`t mean there shouldn`t be hard definitions on the game mechanics. So wehile I appreciate you answering the topic, I was kinda hoping that there was sort of an official   answer to these kind of thing.
While we are at it, what is YOUR take on the problem?
Thanks anyhow.

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <06-11-20/0013:28> »
My take on the problem of being an incomplete game was to create the www.surprisethreat.com site to collect all my houserules and share them with others.

My take on Armor and DR specifically? I run that DR applies to incoming damage before its applied to Armor or CM. It makes it easier to run for NPC threats and it removes any calculations from happening when an attack bypasses armor or finishes armor and then bleeds into CM. Calculations are the enemy of a fast-paced game.

LemosNAM

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <06-11-20/1547:19> »
 :D Wow, impressive this Surprisethreat thing.
I will definitly check it out.
That said, thanks again for your input.
o/