NEWS

Anonymous: Project Facebook, November 5, 2011

• 24 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <08-12-11/1019:52> »
Can't the "CrunchBox" help protect against DDoS?  Or does it just handle exploits?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Dysth

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <08-13-11/0610:16> »
just a thought, is there maybe a connection to anon+, their planned social network?

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-13-11/1441:21> »
just a thought, is there maybe a connection to anon+, their planned social network?
I wouldn't put it past the little attention whores. they are almost as bad as Julian Assange for the "Look at me,Look at me!!" need for spotlight.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

VileTerror

• Newb
  • Anti-Villain
« Reply #18 on: <08-22-11/1303:53> »
Personally, I think announcing their plans like that, and giving the specific date, were decisions as dumb as pickled shit.
Still . . . if they manage to kill Facebook, I will be suitably impressed and remarkably relieved.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #19 on: <08-23-11/1119:09> »
Can Anon crash Facebook? It's entirely possible, not knowing specifics about  Facebooks capability for handling large spikes in traffic (which is,essentially,what a DDoS is) I couldn't say. However, when Anon tried this against Amazon it failed, precisely because Amazon has the capacity and ability to handle a large spike in traffic.

But the bigger question I think is - SHOULD they? If, as Anon claims, they have evidence of Facebook selling out users to the government, of giving personal information to various agencies - isn't it better to share that information with the world via a site like Cryptome or even Wikileaks (ugh)? What actual,tangible good comes from taking down Facebook beyond drawing attention specifically to Anon? And that I think is the crux of it here - it's not about striking a blow for privacy or personal freedom for Anon, its about doing whatever they wish and getting attention for it.
It's unlikely that WikiLeaks can really do ass to stop Facebook from selling your personal info to other people. Whereas causing a site to go into complete shutdown? Well, that'll probably be something other Social Networking sites remember and take note not to follow Facebook's example and not sell people's personal info. Though I doubt Anonymous really took that into account, as a group they do most of what they do for shits, giggles 'n cause they feel like it.

Edit: Aww, they're back to that Old School "We do not forgive. We do not Forget." spiel, I preferred the "We stand as One" bit myself that they brought out for the Scientology
« Last Edit: <08-23-11/1123:22> by Red Canti »
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #20 on: <08-23-11/1123:52> »
Personally, I think announcing their plans like that, and giving the specific date, were decisions as dumb as pickled shit.
Still . . . if they manage to kill Facebook, I will be suitably impressed and remarkably relieved.
Any half-assed group can attack a site when it's weak and vulnerable.

It's a challenge to do it when they're ready and prepared!

Which is why you should never take a negative quality to do stuff like that as a Decker/Hacker in Shadowrun.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #21 on: <08-23-11/1153:10> »
Never Watched Cat's Eye, eh Can?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <08-23-11/1155:22> »
Lots of Lupin the 3rd.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

TTNTM#2

• Newb
  • I was 2nd placed in Tir Tairngire's Next TopModel!
« Reply #23 on: <09-03-11/2228:37> »
Couldnt care less, got no SIN there ;D
Current P2.0:
Cline-Rating: 5
Membership: 917
Subscribstion Value: 143

This user is currently feeding!
Watch this user live right now shopping!
Category: Reality/Supported by Product Placement

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <09-03-11/2302:45> »
Couldnt care less, got no SIN there ;D
No, but you do have an IP and a MAC Address.

Me, I got a SIN.  :(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11