NEWS

NPC's?

• 4 Replies

Arioch

• Newb
« on: <10-10-13/1433:40> »
Have any GM's ever run NPC's with their Missions groups? When only 2 or 3 people show up to play a Missions game do you just let them run it as the 3 of them if they have a mage, decker and sam?

I'm just curious how it would be perceived to have an NPC runner fill in any gaps the rest of the party is missing.

Deacon

• Newb
  • Call me... Deacon Blues
« Reply #1 on: <10-11-13/1316:00> »
I resolve this by allowing the PCs to hire some short-term help, for a flat fee (negotiated like a contact).  This individual is one of the archetypes out of the basic rule book, no karma (even if the same guy's been running with the group for a while).  He comes in, does the job he was hired to and nothing else.  No special tasks can be completed by the hireling.  The hireling isn't part of their crew and isn't paid by the J.  If in the context of the job, the hireling takes damage, that's fine -- he knew the risks -- but he's not going to throw his life away.  After six boxes of damage, the hireling is of the opinion "I am not being paid to die", and retreats or surrenders.

Hirelings do not spend nor do they have Edge.

Hirelings do not, under any circumstances, give any of their gear away.  In fact, any gear acquired from the hireling mysteriously disappears very shortly after acquisition.

Hirelings do not negotiate for the team.  In fact, due to the amount of roleplaying implied in the role, 'Face' hirelings are not available.

Having such a hireling as a contact is advisable for a team that finds itself consistently short-handed for a run. 
"Of course I have a superpower.  It's called a brain.  I use it."
--Johnny Zero, Children of the Atom

Spook

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-03-14/1326:58> »
Since Deckers are not that popular in the group I run missions for I usually have a NPC decker to help them out. He does of course demand equal share of everything they get.

As far as I have noticed everybody seams happy with that.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <03-03-14/1556:07> »
Since Deckers are not that popular in the group I run missions for I usually have a NPC decker to help them out. He does of course demand equal share of everything they get.

As far as I have noticed everybody seams happy with that.

The nice thing about using these pocket NPCs is that you can steer them however you want.  Maybe the players are making the decker work overtime, so he develops an addiction to Cram?  Now there's a mission where the players might have to force the decker into rehab against his will, and getting past his defenses might be harder without his help....

In some cases, I like to convert retired PCs into NPCs.  In a 3rd edition game, I had a rigger on my team who eventually retired.  In 5th edition, I re-introduced him as the same rigger, but now as a Technomancer.  The Crash had made some serious changes to his body.  Obviously his connection with the Resonance is tenuous, so he stopped rigging - now he's an information broker instead.  He likes to say he's "rigging the system."
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-13-14/1531:15> »
He likes to say he's "rigging the system."

BOO.

;D