NEWS

Best Novels to Get the "Fluff" in Non-Infodump Form?

• 5 Replies

DSDragon

• Newb
« on: <01-11-20/2011:07> »
I asked this question of the Catalyst folks at Origins last summer, but unfortunately didn't write down the answer, so I'm asking again here.

I'm relatively new to the Shadowrun universe.  I played a few Missions scenarios from 5th edition, and I read Deniable Assets.  I'm also starting a small 6th edition (probably mini-)campaign with our local gaming group.

I just have one problem:  All of the infodump about the setting and the history of the Shadowrun universe doesn't really help me to understand it all/get it to sink into my brain.

So my question is this:  What are the best novels that have been written that explain how all this came about in story form?  Are there any novels about the "beginning" of it all?    How the corps came to take control?  How the sociopolitical/geographic borders got changed?  All that good stuff?  I basically want to get a good feel for the fluff, and I'd like recommendations for specific Shadowrun novels that can give me that.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to read them all (especially not between game sessions), and I would prefer not to spend money on more than five or six.
« Last Edit: <01-11-20/2013:13> by DSDragon »

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-12-20/1415:10> »
Never Deal with a Dragon by Robert N. Charrette
Changeling by Chris Kubasik
2XS by Nigel Findley
Night's Pawn by Tom Dowd
Preying for Keeps by Mel Odom

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-13-20/0334:30> »
Burning Bright is also an awesome novel about the origins of Bug Town (Chicago), given some of the 6th Edition plot lines that might be a good read
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« Reply #3 on: <01-14-20/1710:35> »
I just finished reading "Sprawl Stories 1" its a collection of 4 novellas. I liked it a lot.
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-14-20/2304:07> »
 Has Changeling been released in digital format yet? I'm still missing that one

Never Deal with a Dragon by Robert N. Charrette
Changeling by Chris Kubasik
2XS by Nigel Findley
Night's Pawn by Tom Dowd
Preying for Keeps by Mel Odom

DSDragon

• Newb