NEWS

Restricted Gear and Starting Characters

• 4 Replies

Ryushiroi

• Newb
« on: <12-12-11/1708:21> »
While this has probably been covered before, I thought I'd ask this question since it just popped up for me.

In Runner's Companion there is a positive quality called Restricted Gear, which you can take three times. Each allows you to purchase an item up to Availability 20. At character creation. Yet, Missions seems to have the Availability 12 cap. So if you take this quality can you buy that rarer item, or do you have to purchase it later (which is the secondary option under the quality).

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #1 on: <12-12-11/1739:58> »
So if you take this quality can you buy that rarer item, or do you have to purchase it later (which is the secondary option under the quality)?

Restricted Gear quality will let you bypass that Availability 12 at character generation, yes.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #2 on: <12-15-11/1200:28> »
You have a specific rule that overrides a general rule.

Both rules are allowed.

I don't see where the confusion lies.

-k

Ryushiroi

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-15-11/1617:13> »
Because in some other games, I have run into some really sphincter-retentive personalities in the Gamemaster's chair... and in some of the other player's as well.

Just keeping my bases covered.

Crash_00

« Reply #4 on: <12-15-11/2255:17> »
Well Missions is supposed to be a RAW (other than the exceptions listed in the FAQ) game. I'm an extremely restrictive GM when it comes to running mission (meaning I use the RAW most of the times even when I don't like it), and a lot of people tend to not like or really agree on my interpretations since I tend to interpret ambiguous things along the most restrictive route. That said, there is no ambiguity here so consider your bases fully covered.

This is of course assuming you're playing a Missions game rather than just a game in which the GM is running some Missions.