NEWS

Deciphering the Coded Text in SR5

• 14 Replies

Wilhelm R.

• Newb
« on: <07-19-13/2345:49> »
Those of you who have the SR5 Core Book in their hands may or may not have noticed, that on the second page of every chapter, there is a little coded text in the top right corner...

I first noticed page 21, and quickly recognized the letters as Enochian, so compelled and delighted at the same time, I popped out my copy of Enochian Magick Referrence by Benjamin Rowe and got to work. 

"In the councils of gouernrent (government?), ue(we) must guard"
"Against the acquisition of unuaRRanted (unwarranted)"
at this point I realized this sounded familiar, and with a little bit of thinking it clicked,  this was Eisenhower's Farewell Address... a portion of it, at least:
"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."
-------------------------------------
Missed the Enochian on page 15 till I went back and checked..  thankfully it was another one I recognized from the first line... It's a section of "The Cats" by HP Lovecraft:

Legions of cats from the alleys nocturnal,
      Howling and lean in the glare of the moon,
Screaming the future with mouthings infernal,
      Yelling the burden of Pluto’s red rune.
Page 63:  Malachim text reads:
Back in action
ready for danger

A simple one, and a good break from the Enochian, once I figured out what it WAS.
Still haven't figured out what page 129 is... but it bugs me because I KNOW it looks familiar...
159: Ooh!  It's a passage from The Necronomicon!!... or so read in another Lovecraft writing, the Festival:

"happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes. For it is of old rumour that the soul of the devil-bought hastes not from his charnel clay, but fats and instructs the very worm that gnaws"

Thought I did have to google that one to remember WHERE it was from...
pg 215:
Binary...?   BINARY!!!!  Damn you, I can't translate this!  lol....   Eventually I'll type it all out and run it through something... 
In the meanwhile, the text on pg45 zoomed in, and cleaned up, is "Ever Burning Lights ascribed to Johannes Trithemius"  (Yes, I googled it!)

Two unquenchable eternal lights are founder and to be seen hearin, which I Bartholomeus Korndorffer have written of a disciple of Mr Trittemius Abbot of Sponheim, which did affirme with an oath that they were never published nor opened before, only that his Mr the Abbot had bestowed one of them unto a great potentat. this famous Maus Trittemius, which lived in time of the great Imperiour Maximilian the first, and none like unto him was to be founde in his age, hath done much good with his artes, not mingled with divilish worcke, as some malicious men doe accuse his, butt he did knowe all what was done in the world of what he desireth by the starres of ministerie, he hath also tolde of things to come manie times.

(...and is this barcode at the bottom???  evil!)
Page 265: Yowza…  Can’t recognize this one.  Anyone able to tag in?
277: Enochian again!  At least I’m getting practice…  Wait… is this… backwards?  Sneaky…

Hororatredhook (horror at red hook, another lovecraft story)
Piccmansmodel (Pickman’s Model… another HPL story, I think I get the pattern)
Caseofcharlesdexterward (you see where I’m going with this…)
Thelasttests  (The last test.  Not sure why the S)
Coolair (Cool Air)
Unerthepiramids (This one took me a while…  It’s ‘Under the Pyramids’, but that missing d at the beginning trapped me!)   
Onward!!!!
Page 322:  Same lettering as 265.. skipping for now until I can get a read on what it is.
Awww... the rest are some sort of numerical code...  Not binary, could be just random numbering, but I kinda doubt it.

I've done what I can, the rest is in other folks hands! 
...Until I get bored again.

Thank you, whoever is responsible for this.  You gave me a chance to feel like a manic sorcerer pouring over all manner of forbidden tomes..  and I loved it! hahahahah

« Last Edit: <07-20-13/0132:57> by Wilhelm R. »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <07-20-13/0343:02> »
That's really cool that you're recognizing and translating the little texts.  Especially since they're Enochian.  I love Enochian!
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

SpiderWord

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-20-13/0458:48> »
Thanks for sharing the data mate! That's acutally interesting! Thanks again.
"Where's the Dragon?" *Stomped*

Shade

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <07-30-13/1934:24> »
That's friggin sweet. Keep us updated!

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-30-13/1940:23> »
Lots of Cthulu references. Maybe its an easter egg alluding to something related to the Horrors in the near future of the lore?

Aaron

« Reply #5 on: <07-30-13/2341:03> »
277: Enochian again!  At least I’m getting practice…  Wait… is this… backwards?  Sneaky…

Isn't Enochian written right-to-left?

Wilhelm R.

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-31-13/1826:13> »
The letters themselves were backwards from normal Enochian script, which is what got me.  :D

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <07-31-13/1914:43> »
Isn't Enochian written right-to-left?
I think French is.

That might explain why I failed French.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Caradoc

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <08-01-13/0114:58> »
Thanks for the heads up, Wilhelm R.

I checked out the barcode on page 44 under Section.02 Shadowrun Concepts.

It uses Code 39 and reads 'Make a deal with a dragon, its really OK.'

Edit:
It looks like the barcode under each of the section headings makes a reference to the purpose for that section:
Page 62, Section 3: Creating a Shadowrunner with the barcode reading 'Something from nothing'.
Page 128, Section 4: Skills. 'Oh shit. My man, this is too long.'

PS. I added my own punctuation.
« Last Edit: <08-01-13/0209:57> by Caradoc »

Caradoc

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <08-01-13/0300:01> »
In the meanwhile, the text on pg45 zoomed in, and cleaned up, is "Ever Burning Lights ascribed to Johannes Trithemius"  (Yes, I googled it!)

Two unquenchable eternal lights are founder and to be seen hearin, which I Bartholomeus Korndorffer have written of a disciple of Mr Trittemius Abbot of Sponheim, which did affirme with an oath that they were never published nor opened before, only that his Mr the Abbot had bestowed one of them unto a great potentat. this famous Maus Trittemius, which lived in time of the great Imperiour Maximilian the first, and none like unto him was to be founde in his age, hath done much good with his artes, not mingled with divilish worcke, as some malicious men doe accuse his, butt he did knowe all what was done in the world of what he desireth by the starres of ministerie, he hath also tolde of things to come manie times.

(...and is this barcode at the bottom???  evil!)

The barcode actually does read 'The Everburning Lights ascribed to Trithemius'.   ;) So you had correctly guessed its meaning anyway...

Page 129 looks like the Pigpen Cipher, but my initial attempt doesn't work, so maybe the letters have been scrambled and needs further work.
Pigpen Cipher

Edit:
It appears to be a Grid X Grid X version instead of the Grid Grid X X, so that the text reads:

O-hi O-ri dark of the sea
I am giving the sins of a dead man to thee
By the Stones, by the Wind, by the Fire, by the Tree
From the dead man's sins set me free
Adam mhic Anndra mhic Adam and me
Set us free, set us free

The 2nd last line is gaelic and to do with someone's lineage while the verse appears to come from an Irish/Scottish legend:
The Sin Eater by Fiona Macleod
« Last Edit: <08-01-13/1033:13> by Caradoc »

Wilhelm R.

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <08-01-13/1755:22> »
Wunderbar, chummer!

All that remains is 265 and 333, nein?

Caradoc

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <08-01-13/2045:53> »
Wunderbar, chummer!

All that remains is 265 and 333, nein?
I assume these are just a substitution cipher, but I don't have any reference to the symbols used and am too busy atm to try and brute force it. :(

The binary on page 215 is not complete and so only gives a partial translation, but I got enough to google it to find it is a quote from a Philip K Dick novel VALIS which is an acronym for Vast Active Living Intelligence System.
"We hypostasize information into objects. Rearrangement of objects is change in the content of the information; the message has changed. This is a language which we have lost the ability to read. We ourselves are a part of this language; changes in us are changes in the content of the information. We ourselves are information-rich; information enters us, is processed and is then projected outwards once more, now in an altered form. We are not aware that we are doing this, that in fact this is all we are doing."
The bold text is the section the binary code deals with.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-01-13/2343:24> »
VALIS is a great novel. One of the ones he wrote AFTER he went bug nuts crazy and decided that aliens were beaming thoughts into his crappy apartment.

Caradoc

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <08-02-13/0820:08> »
I used brute force to decode the texts on pages 265 and 333.

Page 265 text reads:
'(...) am at the top
but fail at my easy tasks
(...) should delegate'
The bracket represents the possibility words are missing from the text.
I don't recognize the source, but since it was in the Rigger section, I was assuming it was something like a Henry Ford quote, but apparently Google would like to make me believe that Bill Gates said something along these lines...

Page 333 text reads:
'A word to the
wise ain't neces(sary)
(it's the) stupid ones that
need the advice'
Here the brackets have words completed since this is a Bill Cosby quote!
Just goes to show what advice they'll give out in the Gamemaster Advice section... ::)

Edit:
I still have no idea where the symbols come from or even whether they were made up just for the 5th edition.
« Last Edit: <08-02-13/0824:38> by Caradoc »

Maelflux

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <08-07-13/1711:00> »
Really awesome by all of you! Thanks! (and I like how much work was put into these things from the developers as well!)