NEWS

Immortals

• 110 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #30 on: <10-29-11/1956:35> »
I like how the English cover the war as the "War of the Colonies".

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #31 on: <10-29-11/1958:14> »
You know, I wonder how the BBC and CBC would have covered that if they had TV back in those days?  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #32 on: <10-29-11/2057:51> »
No, no, no... Let this go. I'd LOVE to say I locked a thread because of Franco-American relations during the War of Independence from almost 250 years ago.
You're the mod, Jack. I leave it up to you. I just know that I tried. :)
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #33 on: <10-29-11/2223:52> »
No, no, no... Let this go. I'd LOVE to say I locked a thread because of Franco-American relations during the War of Independence from almost 250 years ago.
You're the mod, Jack. I leave it up to you. I just know that I tried. :)
It'd win him some awards at Forum Mod Conventions in Las Vegas, that's for sure!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <10-29-11/2247:32> »
Yeah the "What was your most 'out of left field' reason for locking a thread?" award.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <10-30-11/0201:12> »
And if the French didn't get involved in the American war of independence in the first place, the American colonies would have had to send troops in when London ordered it.

Yes the French did help the US in the Revolution.  This I cannot deny, but remember, that was mainly because they were still ticked off at England for the 100 Years War.

They held their own the first time (With British help, of course), and the second time, their government screwed the military over and they didn't have a chance (They certainly showed their courage at Dunkirk, however.).

And the US showed up late to both events.  Try to be on time next time.  ;)

Yes we didn't come to the party along with everyone else.  I'm sorry but technically speaking, we are still a young nation.  Why should a 5 year old have to settle things between midde schoolers.

Now we do accept blame for Vietnam, though it was a French Colony.
As a descendant of UE Loyalists that got to Canada a few steps ahead of being tarred and feathered, I only have this to say:  "Bloody Seps."  :P

I can't argue there.  My family has defended the US since it was a british colony.  Including the French and Indian war (our expansion of the 100 Years war). My family has killed it's share of French, British, German, and Viet-kong.

And I still blame the UK for Iraq.  Their empire crumbling allowed a madman into power there.  Yes, Cuba is our fault.  We may not be perfect but we are still a little kid compared to the European powers.
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #36 on: <10-30-11/0226:40> »
Now I know more about the War of Northern Aggression, I suppose ;)

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <10-30-11/0356:32> »

What can I say, I am studying to be a high school history teacher.
Living the Electronic Dream

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <10-30-11/1313:07> »
The French and Indian War happened at the same time as the Seven Years' War, from 1754 to 1763. The Hundred Years' War was fought between 1337 and 1453.

Regarding the American Revolutionary War, France did not openly support the American Revolution until 1778, when they felt the insurgents actually had a chance to defeat the British. France expected the United States of America to become an ally along with Spain to fight a new war against Great Britain. When France finally went war with Great Britain in 1793 after their own Revolution, the US stayed neutral, and actually signed a commercial treaty with Great Britain the following year.

What's the saying, "Nations do not have friends, they have interests" ?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #39 on: <10-30-11/1327:54> »
Heh. don't joke. I know people who really do call it that. Right before they start blathering on with how we should rise up and <insert racist drek here>. Sometimes I hate living in a red state.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #40 on: <10-30-11/1356:14> »
Guys, there are reasons we're not supposed to talk politics much.  Take it easy, before someone crosses a line and/or prompts a response that does so.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <10-30-11/1544:59> »
Heh. don't joke. I know people who really do call it that. Right before they start blathering on with how we should rise up and <insert racist drek here>. Sometimes I hate living in a red state.
The US Civil War/The War of Northern Aggression/Oh Look, The Seps Are Having A Bit Of A Spat.  ;)

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <10-30-11/1715:51> »

Sadly, so do I. Nodding and smiling politely seems to work in situations like that.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #43 on: <10-30-11/1726:13> »
"Don't look at me, I'm Canadian." would probably get me shot at, as they'd think I said Communist.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <10-30-11/1727:50> »
"Don't look at me, I'm Canadian." would probably get me shot at, as they'd think I said Communist.  :P

When I'm in the USA a lot of the time people just want to hear me talk, no matter what it's about...