NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

8-bit

« Reply #45 on: <11-19-14/1940:49> »
I was under the impression that we were about to run out of gas shortly after hitting Aspen. Chino have any ideas how much farther they can go?

Assuming we want to still keep this obelisk thing, it is not going to be subtle trying to carry the thing on Uncle Sam's back. We need the car to not break down before we get to wherever we are going.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #46 on: <11-19-14/2050:00> »
Ohanzee will be using levitate on it. Not exactly less conspicuous, but at least easier.

I was contemplating using one of the commlinks we procured from the hunters or soldiers as an upgrade for my Renraku Sensei and it got me thinking about the rules on ownership. It takes at least an hour to illegally change ownership (assuming you roll awesome and get 24 hits on your first roll, assuming you can even ROLL that many dice). Which means Crumpled, with his 13 dice, would need about 6 hours on average to change ownership on the deck he liberated. I doubt he had that kind of time. So should it be suspect, or are we using different rules for illegally changing owners?
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

8-bit

« Reply #47 on: <11-19-14/2107:13> »
Ohanzee will be using levitate on it. Not exactly less conspicuous, but at least easier.

Gotcha. Still probably want to see if I can coax the car into driving off into the sunset (well, not really) as we plan to ditch it, right?

I was contemplating using one of the commlinks we procured from the hunters or soldiers as an upgrade for my Renraku Sensei and it got me thinking about the rules on ownership. It takes at least an hour to illegally change ownership (assuming you roll awesome and get 24 hits on your first roll, assuming you can even ROLL that many dice). Which means Crumpled, with his 13 dice, would need about 6 hours on average to change ownership on the deck he liberated. I doubt he had that kind of time. So should it be suspect, or are we using different rules for illegally changing owners?

Perhaps he picked it up the day of, not necessarily during the run. Or, he could have rolled 20 dice with his 7 Edge and gotten a bunch of exploding 6s.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <11-20-14/0124:28> »
@Zweiblumen, right now you have a combined cyber/bioware section on your sheet so you can safely put the genetic modification under there. If you intend to split the sections at some point, you can put the Qualia with bioware.

@8-bit, Chino is guessing that the van has five minutes of gas left. Should be enough to find a house but not enough to lurk or idle for long. If you're particularly efficient in getting everyone out of the vehicle and turning it around it might be able to get out of town before taking a swan dive off a cliff, but it would be very close to town when it did so. Otherwise, you'll need to find some more fuel for its final voyage.

@Malevolence, I had the same thought about how long it would take to transfer ownership of the cyberdeck. I agree that in most circumstances it would take Crumpled 7+ hours to transfer ownership using the threshold of 24 from the core rulebook (and subtracting a die at every interval). Even with Edge it would take 4+ hours on average. It's also true that we don't know when he previous deck was shot, but it stands to reason that if it happened prior to the run then he probably wouldn't have brought the broken thing with him. We might need to hand wave this one a bit, since odds are good that it's been less than 4 hours since the completion of the run.

Separately, the crate weighs somewhere between 300 and 400kg. Lifting and carrying it would require a combined Strength of 30 (Strength * 10 kg plus hits from a Bod+Str test) and probably something to distribute the load evenly since you can't get 4 people around a 1m3 crate. I think Ryo let Sam and Chino get away with it because 1) they were on snow and it was sliding, and 2) GrimWulf was being a little slow on the uptake in exploring Ohanzee's spell list. Levitate is definitely the way to go.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #49 on: <11-20-14/0537:55> »
I accounted for time when I wrote that part and used the normal hardware rules. Hmm...Probably should have mentioned how that worked in my PMs to Tecumseh.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #50 on: <11-20-14/1213:18> »
@Ryo, thanks for all the work you've put into this, and for letting your baby be raised by another.

@All, sorry for my absence yesterday.  Looks like things are off to a brisk pace.  Yay!  Excited.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #51 on: <11-20-14/1340:22> »
I accounted for time when I wrote that part and used the normal hardware rules. Hmm...Probably should have mentioned how that worked in my PMs to Tecumseh.
Thanks for letting Tecumseh keep this alive, and thank you for giving this beautiful baby a life. And it's awesome that you are still keeping tabs on it for situations like this.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #52 on: <11-20-14/1357:00> »
When we decide to ditch the rover, here are my rolls for Levitating the crate. I will attempt to close the crate as much as possible before doing so.
Levitate Force 6:

Levitate the crate [Magic 6 + Sorcery 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wounds 2]: 11d6t5 5
Resist F-2 (4) drain:
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1]: 13d6t5 5

The centering didn't provide any successes, so if using it would be too conspicuous, I can omit it without issue. Even if it had provided a hit, I'd still have the needed 4 hits to resist the drain completely. I just opted to include it just in case using it would not attract unwanted attention.

I only need 2 hits on Levitate, but I still cast at force 6 for the 6m/CT movement rate.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #53 on: <11-20-14/1417:52> »
@Tecumseh: what's the noise level now?  I want to start looking at what kinds of devices are active in houses looking for one that's unoccupied.

Lemme know what kinds of rolls you want for that.  I'd guess Matrix Perception, but not sure.

I'm not sure I followed the whole sequence for ownership of the deck, now I'm all paranoid, but don't know how to bring that information to my characters attention.  AFAIK he's confident that he's the owner of the deck.  That said, I think doing a through scrub/search of all devices once we get into a house would be a good idea, that and some sleep.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #54 on: <11-20-14/1423:19> »
@Tecumseh: what's the noise level now?  I want to start looking at what kinds of devices are active in houses looking for one that's unoccupied.
On this subject, with 3 Datajacks the 3 noise from before should have been completely negated, unless that was what was left over after the NR from the Datajacks was taken into account. Or if we are playing by rules where the bonus from multiple Jacks doesn't stack. I wasn't clear on that.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <11-20-14/1443:40> »
I think Ryo's motivation for letting me take over was that he wanted to see all of his groundwork come to fruition. I fully expect that he'll be keeping tabs on things throughout the game. On that note:

@Zweiblumen: Ryo wrote me a more detailed explanation of what happened pre-amnesia, which included a description of how Crumpled got his new deck. I retract my previous statements about the time it takes to change ownership being greater than the downtime available during the run. That's OOC math, and it turns out that Ryo was well aware of the rules and rolled accordingly. ICly, Crumpled should feel confident in his ownership of the deck.

@Zweiblumen, part II: Noise levels for targets within 100m are 0. Targets up to 1km away are at Noise level 1, although it might be higher the further you go due to trees and other obstructions. A datajack with wireless enabled will reduce the Noise penalty by 1. Personally, I rule that datajack noise reduction does not stack with multiple datajacks. (I am unclear on how multiple datajacks would be of any benefit simultaneously, although I am also unclear of how a wireless benefit can be used to offset a wireless penalty. But let's not go too far down that rabbit hole.) Yes, start with Matrix Perception.

@Malevolence: If you include Centering in the Drain roll then we'll need to keep it part of the IC casting. This is to avoid OOC knowledge of when Centering is necessary/beneficial and when it isn't. That said, you can cast the spell from the privacy of the Rover so that your Centering is not causing a fuss outside where people can see you. Was Ohanzee's Centering method identified? I presume it is singing/chanting/dancing, but a quick search of the Chapter I threads didn't turn anything up.

I am using Google Maps for a layout of the city streets. Obviously the housing will have changed over the next 60 years but we'll keep the roadways largely the same. See here: http://goo.gl/maps/pT8GG.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <11-20-14/1510:28> »
Okay, if Ohanzee decides we should stay out in the 'burbs I'll have Crumpled/Doc (I like that nick name and will start answering to it more and more IC) drop into VR and communicate via text with everyone while he searches for a few house options.  Otherwise I'll have him just be on the lookout in AR while we are downtown.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #57 on: <11-20-14/1609:50> »
That said, you can cast the spell from the privacy of the Rover so that your Centering is not causing a fuss outside where people can see you. Was Ohanzee's Centering method identified? I presume it is singing/chanting/dancing, but a quick search of the Chapter I threads didn't turn anything up.
I included the Centering in case I couldn't be available for the roll so things weren't held up. But it doesn't really matter for this one as yes, he could do it in the rover before exiting.
His Centering method is chanting/singing in Lakota, similar to Native American chants as depicted in the Trids (or modern day movies IRL). No dancing, just chanting/singing at about talking volume. It'd be unmistakable at the same distance as a conversation unless the ambient noise it really loud.

8-bit

« Reply #58 on: <11-20-14/1721:32> »
Quote from: Malevolence
So, first thing, make sure external surveillance in the neighborhood is taken care of so we can't be tracked easily. Second, crack the car so you can command it to commit suicide.

Chino is going to try and look for a (semi-)discreet place to park the car for surveillance (Crumpled can take care of Matrix, Ohanzee and Masked Astral, and we can all help out with physical). Hopefully I can get the thing moving again if we do need to move out. Although, at this point, we're into the suburbs and I doubt moving around in the bullet-ridden Rover is going to allow us to sneak around.

Actually, looking at my sheet, it doesn't seem Chino has ever performed Perception (or he doesn't have it).

Intuition (3) + Perception (?) + Specifically Looking (3? Not sure if it applies) ± Environmental Modifiers (Not sure what I'm under, at the moment) [Mental]

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #59 on: <11-20-14/1726:40> »
When Doc/Crumpled set up the party wide PAN where there any audio devices in there?  Like someone's cyberears or audio enhancers?  I plan on using Sam's goggles for a visual feed, but need something else for an audio.  Don't want to make everyone text everything while I'm in VR.  Actually, he should be able to set up AR/VR windows for each feed so he could keep an eye on what's going on from multiple angles.  Hrm, he's already got the Trid knowledge, maybe add production/AV editing as another knowledge background.  I can see him being into that.

Anyway, I digress.  Doc/Crump will slip into VR and start working with the Agent on local surveillance while looking for suitable houses.  Guess I'm pulling the Agent off that search and will have to start it again once we get settled.

I'm worried about being able to keep up with the speed the van is moving and finding cameras, hacking into them, editing the video feed then getting out.  If there is more than one or two this seems more like something to do at a walking pace.  OOC input from others on this, or should I bring this up IC?