NEWS

# of sustained spells?

• 4 Replies

Eye Eternal

• Chummer
  • So say we all...
« on: <06-08-12/1255:30> »
Is there a limit to the number of spells a mage can sustain at once without using foci? Can you just eat a ton of negatives and hold many spells at once as sustained? I haven't seen a concrete statement saying no.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-08-12/1314:05> »
As far as I know you can sustain as much spells as you can.  Of course, given that every spell you sustain without a focus gives a -2 penalty to all other actions, the absolute maximum is (magic+spellcasting+edge)/2, as you can't cast more spells if that dicepool has reached 0.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Eye Eternal

• Chummer
  • So say we all...
« Reply #2 on: <06-08-12/1327:04> »
That was what I had figured. (Minus the edge part, I didn't think of that) I would assume its safe to say the same would apply to TM and threading then, seeing how it states a threaded complex form requires sustaining as well. Thanks a lot for the info.

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #3 on: <06-08-12/1413:47> »
And if you want to push the limits a little bit farther, Psyche (SR4A, pg. 258) is your chemical best friend - turning that pesky -2 into a much less annoying -1.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #4 on: <06-08-12/1646:52> »
As far as I know you can sustain as much spells as you can.  Of course, given that every spell you sustain without a focus gives a -2 penalty to all other actions, the absolute maximum is (magic+spellcasting+edge)/2, as you can't cast more spells if that dicepool has reached 0.

Maybe (Magic+Spellcasting dice pool)/2 (or /1 if you've popped Psyche) + Edge, since you can spend each point of Edge to make a Long Shot Test (p. 61, SR4A), using just Edge in place of a zero dice pool.  By that time, though, you're not likely to affect many unwilling targets.

In practice, I haven't seen more than two being sustained at any given time outside of sustaining foci.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)