NEWS

Imagine: Shadowrun Mimics

• 55 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #15 on: <08-06-18/1937:48> »
Remember, a spirit can look like just about anything!

A fire spieit can be a pillar of flame, a bright shiny fire truck, or even a little girl!.

They are recgognized as spirits easly (unless they have realistic form ability), but other then that, sky's the limit on appearance
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #16 on: <08-06-18/1947:49> »
Remember, a spirit can look like just about anything!

A fire spieit can be a pillar of flame, a bright shiny fire truck, or even a little girl!.

They are recgognized as spirits easly (unless they have realistic form ability), but other then that, sky's the limit on appearance
That is scary but very good point.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

drjmoriarity@gmail.com

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <08-06-18/2118:30> »
I am actually VERY curious about how i can implement some critters into my game in a fun and interesting way. Like if i could find a unique way to bring a incubus into the game I would love it.
I had an idea for a job.

Now I dont know how intelligent or much about the incubus other than the basics but i was thinking of a serial killer is suspected around right? all the victims are crushed to death and when they ask around every witness gives a conflicting report of what they say, cause the incubus made them all see different things they desired.  and the players must solve the mystery of whats been killing people.

drjmoriarity@gmail.com

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <08-06-18/2129:46> »
D&D and Pathfinder despite all the change are still dungeon based adventures, where treasure collection is a central part of the story, which are kept in treasure chest. Pathfinder has done a lot to make those dungeon look other things. But in the end paradigm is the same, regardless if you call a dungeon a town a series of boats, or even hex grid.  But Shadowruns, generally aren't dungeon crawls, most involve people to some degree, extracting them, moving them, maybe assassinating them, lewt isn't kept in chests, and loot other then the pay day is discouraged. Sure you could have a shadowrun to go find some weird genetic changeling but let me just tell you it's not going to hard for SR team to spot a mimic in the D&D sense. Most runners will have thermal vision, which would probably give away your mimic right there, but even if that was managed disguise that somehow, there is no getting around it having a living aura, so mages will spot it easily.  In the end you can put death trap and automated defense into SR are lot more easily then a weird object shapeshifters.

Oh yeah i get why they arent in it, id just have alot of fun with a creature that can shape shift into every day objects. Like they can look like a lamp on your bedside table until you fall asleep and than they take a bite out of you. Or lay eggs in your mouth, something like that. I wonder if there are any critters that can use illusions and camouflage easily.

That would be so cool though, Shadowrunners infeltrate a lab and turn on the infrared lights and... suddenly, desks, tables, lamps, books, they all glow and they have to take a moment to figure out whats going  on and realize they are surrounded.

drjmoriarity@gmail.com

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <08-06-18/2131:04> »
Some valid points have been made, however, I still think it would be awesome to have a briefcase mimic. ::)
A briefcase, the modern treasure chest.

drjmoriarity@gmail.com

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <08-06-18/2137:09> »
Objects can be Possessed, and while Possessed do some basic motion.  A book could "walk" around, a laptop could snap at a hand, and so on.

Be careful with that description of what possession allows:

Page 194 Street grimoire
Dead/Inanimate Vessels: While possessing a
nonliving vessel, the spirit adds half of its Force
to the vessel’s Structure and Armor Ratings (p.
197, SR5), Object Resistance dice pool (p. 295,
SR5), or Physical attributes, depending on the
situation and/or vessel type. The combined entity
uses its enhanced attributes (or the spirit’s, if
the vessel lacks attributes) to calculate Initiative,
and it uses the spirit’s Initiative dice. The spirit
can use any of its powers through the vessel
itself, but it can only move the vessel in ways
the vessel can normally perform. For example,
a spirit possessing a gun can fire the gun but
cannot move the gun or access any smartgun
functions.
Generally, spirits can only control mechanical
functions, not anything that requires
complex electronic, DNI, or wireless control. 

There is a critter from I believe 3e (at least I haven't seen it since.) which is a Succubus.

Unlike in DnD, Succubi are an octopus like creature that can only eat human flesh... And had the unique critter abilities of "Mind Probe" and "image and sound projection".
They could "read" the mind of a victim at range to find lustful desires, then they would use their Projection ability to make themselves look like what their victim desires to lure them in....

Shadowrun has a huge list of critters that based on lore and myth, just like DnD does. Many are just not what you expect...

Like the sandwich bird that turns you to stone. Or the armadillo that can wreck city blocks. Or a shark that eats boats. The hardest part is taking the 4+ critter books and translating them to 5e rules.

Actually its much easier for me cause i am not using 5e I am using HeroSystem cause my group hated the feel and flow of shadowrun ( yes i had to remake the whole damn game in another system and make sure it was balanced ) was a huge toss up betwene hero system and gurps but my table hates opposed dice checks ( rolling for dodge or armor ) so hero system was the best choice, plus we had the most experience with it.

Also that could be an awsome way to use sucubus, have a bunch of little octopuses disguised as household objects and sneaking around on ya.

drjmoriarity@gmail.com

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <08-06-18/2148:10> »
I cant believe 5e doesnt have a critters book yet.. thats a bit strange, you would think that would be one of the first you would make. Its practically a bestiary.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #22 on: <08-06-18/2158:47> »
I cant believe 5e doesnt have a critters book yet.. thats a bit strange, you would think that would be one of the first you would make. Its practically a bestiary.

It does. Howling Shadows.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #23 on: <08-06-18/2200:31> »
Because the 'critters' a Runner team are most likely to run into on 95+% of runs are devil/demon rats, ghouls, and spirits, which all generally have a stat block in the core book. The vast majority of your opposition are other people, not critters.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #24 on: <08-06-18/2217:21> »
There is a 'critter' book for 5e.

Howling Shadows.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Bamce

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <08-07-18/0631:16> »

A majorty of the things runners are going to run into are people.

A monster manual is hardly neccessary for that

In addition shadowrun, as a non resource management game, is not balanced. You wont find levels and challenge ratings or experience per here. 
« Last Edit: <08-07-18/0637:03> by Bamce »

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <08-07-18/1237:35> »
In addition shadowrun, as a non resource management game, is not balanced.

You're telling me!

And Holy F- does the game suffer for it.

How many years - years - could have been shaved off of the time customers had to wait for something that made Technomancers viable if someone took a little time to compare them to what already existed?

At least half of the still outstanding issues could have been prevented with a little eye towards balance.

Bamce

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <08-07-18/1302:34> »
The intention was for technos to have details released in data trails. It even says so in the book. Then they got the idea to break it off into its own dlc book. Which then got kicked in the uesd because of drama and finally came out with kill code

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #28 on: <08-07-18/1309:30> »
*Looks at topic subject and Bamce's post* Uhm, wait, data trails is a mimic book?_?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

drjmoriarity@gmail.com

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <08-07-18/1316:17> »

A majorty of the things runners are going to run into are people.

A monster manual is hardly neccessary for that

In addition shadowrun, as a non resource management game, is not balanced. You wont find levels and challenge ratings or experience per here.

I know that, Iv been researching the game for like 2 months before even touching the play table haha.

And yeah i just figured out about howling shadows. Bestiary is good for veriety of encounters and keeping things interesting is all.