NEWS

6e: Specializations for Exotic Weapons

• 11 Replies

taranion

• Newb
« on: <08-06-20/1403:30> »
Hi,

I need some clarification. When I want to  use the Ares Antioch II grenade launcher, do I specialize in

a) Exotic Weapons (Ares Antioch II)
b) Exotic Weapons (Grenade Launcher)
c) Exotic Weapons (Launcher)  (which includes rocket launcher as well)
?

If it is not a) - is there a list of all possible categories?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <08-06-20/1413:46> »
I'd say (Launcher), as on p263. There's no specific rules that list all categories, but right now I'd say normally each weapon is its own category, with really-similar weapons as exception (such as Launchers).
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-06-20/1414:43> »
The answer is

D) whatever the GM agrees to.  If you can get your GM to agree to Exotic Weapons (melee), then go for it.  Personally, I'd recommend against a specialization being that broad.

I do believe that the intent is that it's supposed to be keyed to a specific weapon, but that's not said explicitly.  For context, I do believe that the convention for published NPCs is that they all have exotic weapon (specific weapon). 
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-06-20/1550:55> »
pg 147 Firing Squad
Exotic Weap-ons (Flamethrower) 5
npc is using a
Shiawase Blazer

pretty clear to me it's by type

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-06-20/2032:31> »
Further supporting RAW, pg. 258 CRB. Special Weapons, "Use the Exotic Range Weapon skill...." then lists 2 ranged weapons.

Pg. 118 CRB, for the Exotic Weapons and spray example, " ....Exotic Weapons (Flamethrower)...." which lines up with the previously posted example from Firing Squad

Followed by
"Launcher the Exotic Weapon skill is used to fire launchers...." listing both missile and grenade launchers.

pg 263 "...Exotic Weapons (Launcher)..." when discussing launching grenades from a grenade launcher

There are also several more examples of characters or references to either Exotic Weapons Launcher or Exotic Weapons Ranged.

The one exception that breaks from the Launcher being a group that composes Grenade and Missile, is pg 116, which is an explicit example given for Grenade Launchers. One could argue that this one example juxtaposed against the many other examples that contradict it, is explicitly referencing a "...Exotic Weapons (Grenade Launcher)..." due to it being an example on Grenade Launchers and was author/editor oversight.

Only real mention to an Exotic Melee Weapons group is in Firing Squad on page 14, as the header to a list of Exotic Melee weapons, similar to how Launchers was the header for Grenade and Missile Launchers in the CRB.
« Last Edit: <08-06-20/2054:57> by markelphoenix »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <08-07-20/0255:22> »
Option 1: Launchers needs errata to clarify it's always 1 weapon explicitly.
Option 2: Near-identical weapons should be treated the same. So Dart Pistols, Whips, Wirewhips, Launchers, Flamethrowers, Garrotes, etc. In most cases we only have one weapon of the type.

I lean towards #2 but official clarification would be nice

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-07-20/1100:01> »
Purely based on what discussed during development since I didn't do the skill chapter so I have no real input on intent ....

It's option 2 ... similar weapon types that don't fit into the other combat skills can be covered under exotic as a "group" specialization. Only truly unique and/or exotic weapons require a specific weapon specialization.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-07-20/1733:53> »
Thanks all for your input - I appreciate it.

For Genesis I currently implemented option 1 (specialization per weapon), but there is an ongoing discussion to change it to option 2 (spec. per nearly identical weapon type) - that is why I asked.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-07-20/1837:32> »
Thanks all for your input - I appreciate it.

For Genesis I currently implemented option 1 (specialization per weapon), but there is an ongoing discussion to change it to option 2 (spec. per nearly identical weapon type) - that is why I asked.

Ooh, I didn't know you're The Man!

Do you accept game-rules related suggestions for improvements in PM?
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <08-20-20/0234:39> »
> Do you accept game-rules related suggestions for improvements in PM?

Yes, of course. Please do.

I am not advertising it much, but these are the ways to get in touch with us:

Robert

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <08-25-20/1315:27> »
What do you think of the following 8 categories for the skill "exotic weapons"?
  • brawling_weapons (war fan, garotte)
  • whips (Bull, Monofil, Manriki, Yo-Yo)
  • chainsaws (base, Monofil)
  • launchers (all grenade and rocket launchers)
  • air_weapons (Super Squirt, Darts, Hornet)
  • spray_weapons (Charybdis, Scylla, Hell Turtle, Blazer)
  • laser_weapons (Crimson Wasp, Red Fox)
  • emitter_weapons (Pulse)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <08-25-20/1400:45> »
I would separate the water pistol from the dart guns myself. The others I can mostly live with.