NEWS

SR6 Action Cap

• 11 Replies

markelphoenix

• Omae
« on: <08-16-20/0240:59> »
I remember reading when book first came out that max you can have is 1 Major and 5 Minor, but I can't find it in the book. Is it still capped or did it get removed with errata? If so, where in CRB is that limit? Main reason asking, is a further dip into Increase Reflexes 4 becomes more attractive if it allows for 1 Major and 6 Minor actions.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <08-16-20/0654:52> »
"5 Minor" gives me p107, and it's still expected to be a mistake from before the free Minor action (dice+1 instead of dice).
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-16-20/1147:30> »
With a strict reading of the book as currently written you start the turn round with 1 major and 6 minors. You can take Anytime actions before it is your turn to act (unless you are surprised). And then, once it is your turn to act you will get limited to 1 major and 5 minor. If you didn't spend at least one minor Anytime action you will lose that 6th minor action.

This seem overly complicated and unintended. I don't think anything will break if you house rule that the limit is 1 major and 6 minor once it is your turn to act (instead of 1 major and 5 minor).

« Last Edit: <08-24-20/0309:21> by Xenon »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-16-20/1326:33> »
I'm thinking the status quo is perfectly workable.

You can start the ROUND with 1 major* and any number of minor actions.

However you can only start your TURN with at most 5 minor actions.

Ergo: use or lose all minor actions above 5 as anytime actions before your turn starts.

*EDIT: Certain non-metahuman critters appear to be allowed to start with 2 (or potentially even more) Major Actions.  But that never applies to you, chummer, because there is no way (yet) to gain additional Major Actions ;)
« Last Edit: <08-16-20/1328:33> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #4 on: <08-17-20/0424:50> »
You can start the ROUND with 1 major* and any number of minor actions.

However you can only start your TURN with at most 5 minor actions.
I'm with Xenon, that's hugely over-engineered and fussy. Just give them 6 minors on their turn if they've spent that much on 'ware.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-17-20/0952:00> »
Agreed. I´m pretty convinced that the mismatch between the maximum of 5 Minor Actions VS 5 Initiative Dice is due to the fact that the 1 "free" Minor actions was added later. Just raise the Minor Action Maximum to 6 so it matches with the Maximum of 5 ID + the free Minor Action. Or remove it entirely, as it would be redundant anyways. It´s surely not a game-changer, given how hard it is to even get there.

Two side notes:
  • What actually is a bit of a game-changer is the fact that apparantly, the Initiative Bonus of Cyberjacks was supposed to be an ID bonus, along with the accompanying Minor Actions (with a max. of +2 like in the Matrix Chapter, not +3 as in the fragged-up second table in the Augmentation Chapter  :P). That would mean that a Hot-Sim Decker with a decent jack can reach that maximum of 5 ID / 6 Minor Actions. Which would be a good thing IMO, because Cyberjacks (and VR in general) could use that extra love to make them worthwhile...
  • While I´m generally satisfied with the current Action Economics: It´s a neat, but very impactfull houserule to allow the transfer of up to 2 unspent Minor actions (with or without regard of the Minor action cap) into the next Combat turn. This opens up some interesting new strategies, makes Rating 1 ID enhancements more worthwhile and removes decision paralysis for unspent Minor Actions. It also adds an incentive to keep slower characters in check: Even an unaugmented goon could shoot twice every other turn as long as they are not forced to waste minor Actions on defensive Actions...

« Last Edit: <08-17-20/0954:17> by Finstersang »

Darksithmstr

• Newb
  • Fraggin' A
« Reply #6 on: <08-24-20/0136:40> »
I agree with, Stainless Steel Devil Rat, that is how i run my sessions it isn't overly complicated.
See u in the Matrix!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <08-24-20/0311:08> »
Eh, I'm sticking to a cap of 6. To me the intent seems to be 'even if any rule allows you to get extra Minors later on, you still won't be able to start your turn with more than the normal limit, so you'll never be able to perform more than 2 Attack actions during your turn'. It seems that originally it was 1 Minor per Initiative Die, given how surprised some people were to hear that it now is (1 per die) + 1. So the 5 limit would be from the original max 5, and it doesn't break anything if it's turned up to 6, without punishing people who obtain a fifth die.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-24-20/0313:52> »
Eh, I'm sticking to a cap of 6.
Same.

If it ever comes up.
Which it so far have not.

Edit: From the sticky House Rule post:

Max number of actions
Characters may never start a player turn with more than 6 Minor Actions. If they would have earned more through any circumstances, that number is reduced to 6

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <08-24-20/0330:10> »
It seems that originally it was 1 Minor per Initiative Die, given how surprised some people were to hear that it now is (1 per die) + 1.
Whilst that does appear to have been a playtested variant, I wonder how it worked. It would mean mundanes couldn't do Major Actions - eg attacks - on their first turn. Or ever (!), unless you also allow them to save up actions across turns.

EDIT: disregard; I am an idiot; see below.
« Last Edit: <08-24-20/0532:59> by penllawen »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-24-20/0403:21> »
It seems that originally it was 1 Minor per Initiative Die, given how surprised some people were to hear that it now is (1 per die) + 1.
Whilst that does appear to have been a playtested variant, I wonder how it worked. It would mean mundanes couldn't do Major Actions - eg attacks - on their first turn. Or ever (!), unless you also allow them to save up actions across turns.
What do you mean...? Everyone still have their Major action....

With 1D6 Initiative you would have had 1 Major and 1 Minor action.
With 5D6 Initiative you would have had 1 Major and 5 Minor actions.
Which would explain the 5 Minor limit.

Today with 1D6 Initiative you have 1 Major and 1+1=2 Minor actions
With 5D6 Initiative you get 1 Major and 5+1=6 Minor actions.
Which seem to indicate that the 5 Minor limit perhaps should have been increased to 6

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <08-24-20/0457:05> »
Oh good lord. This is what I get for pre-coffee early morning posting. Please disregard my idiocy.