NEWS

Alchemical action math

• 21 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #15 on: <09-26-18/0940:59> »
An ally spiirit on the other hand ... :-)    Obviously not helpful to enchanters, but for a full mage it can make it easy to dabble in alchemy, or if you were already focused towards alchemy can really push your dice pool (since there is basically no reason not to use their aid while making preparations -- presuming that you have an ally that enjoys that sort of stuff well enough)

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« Reply #16 on: <09-26-18/1206:40> »
What is the best way to deal with drain or to recover fastest?
- Quick Healer quality (3 karma, +2 to all healing on/for/by you)
- or - Uncanny Healer quality (12 karma, +essence to your own natural healing tests only)
Would that affect my heal preparations?  Would they get +2 dice when I activated them?
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #17 on: <09-26-18/1224:05> »
What is the best way to deal with drain or to recover fastest?
- Quick Healer quality (3 karma, +2 to all healing on/for/by you)
- or - Uncanny Healer quality (12 karma, +essence to your own natural healing tests only)
Would that affect my heal preparations?  Would they get +2 dice when I activated them?
Under clarifications, it's been made explicit that Quick Healer doesn't count on tests you perform on others. It's simply about your own healing.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Chalkarts

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <09-26-18/1253:40> »

[/quote]Under clarifications, it's been made explicit that Quick Healer doesn't count on tests you perform on others. It's simply about your own healing.
[/quote]

‘‘Tis a sadness.
But makes sense.
I’ll probably take the quick healer quality and have my main goals at start be initiation and getting to 20 dice however possible.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-26-18/1514:51> »
In the case of Aid Alchemy (or Sorcery, or Study), a single service would assist a single preparation (or spell, or learning). It doesn't list a time because each of those things can be different amounts of time... (Ritual Spellcasting time is variable, and Learning is days based on the test's result)

Simply having a spirit bound doesn't mean you get an infinite amount of assistance for just one service.
While I'd understand that ruling, I think it's ridiculously expensive given how it costs a Bound Service (which is easily 500 nuyen if you're not real good and rolling dice) and the language (Tests, not Test) doesn't support it. Given how the other bound services explicitly note a duration, there is nothing solid here regarding the duration of this service. And I'd find it strange if 1 service could cover anywhere from 1 Initiative Pass to weeks, depending on the kind of aid.

Then what's the limit? Use one service and now the bound spirit aids every test you ever make?

It uses the language "Tests" (plural) because the subject is multiple types of tests (Alchemy, Sorcery, or Study). Grammatically, because the subject has multiple parts, the verb must be plural, even if it is only referring to a single instance. F.e. "On any one of your Math, Science, or Reading Tests"

And like you said, each of the other types of services give an explicit duration, which means this type of service defaults back to the basic definition of a service, which is a single use of an ability. You ask it to aid you on a given spell, it does, and the service is done. There is no language listing a time, or a number of tests, therefore there is nothing to imply that you get multiple "Aids".

Chalkarts

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-26-18/1541:55> »
What if the task you command has a set number of repetitions?

“Oh great spirit of fire and creation, I beseech the please aid me in my efforts to create 13 alchemical preparations”

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #21 on: <09-27-18/0048:21> »
I normally wouldn't mind debating the exact impact of language and how to make this fair, but given the exact impact of language I'm taking things to PMs as to not derail the topic.
« Last Edit: <09-27-18/0100:00> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!