NEWS

What should a rating 8 Building Sensor Array cost, and what does it cover?

• 9 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« on: <09-24-18/1522:10> »
In Core, Sensor Arrays go Rating 2~8, costing Rx1000. This is relevant because large vehicles and buildings can have ratings above 7. In here, Sensor Arrays cost 6 Capacity and can contain up to 8 Sensors.

In Rigger 5.0 vehicle sensor upgrades are arrays that can contain up to Rating Sensors. They do not list Capacity, because they are for vehicles, not also things like cyberlimbs such as the arrays in Core. These upgrades are more expensive (Rx2k for low ratings, Rx5k for high ratings) but do not support anything above Rating 6, so no more large vehicles with Rating 7. This means that asides from the 2 vehicles and 1 drone with Rating 8, nothing can go past 6.

I like the increased cost, because 7k for Rating 7 Array is a bit cheap, but they do not list a price above Rating 6. Furthermore, a building might be even bigger. So I'm wondering what a Rating 8 Building Sensor Array should cost, Rx5k? And what is contained in it? If you include a mad-scanner, is that 1 doorway, all doorways, windows as well? Chemsniffers? Cameras? What would be a nice ruling that is not too cheap but also not way too expensive for what it provides?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #1 on: <09-24-18/1528:21> »
Actually, I am inclined towards multiple sensor arrays in building. Something along the lines of front entrance zone sensors, rear entrance sensors, lobby sensors, elevator sensors, and so on. This would be multiple small sensor arrays, rather than one array for the whole building.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-24-18/1529:15> »
Keep the normal cost but just remember that a sensor array can't cover more than one room/side at the same time.

Those super sensors would likely defend entrances and the outside, while the inside is covered by less sophisticated arrays.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <09-24-18/1531:04> »
So allow smaller arrays, which obviously aren't the same device, at Core-costs? Not meant for mobility or integrating with a Rigger interface, so not at vehicle-level costwise? I like the 1 room/side restriction when it comes to area-sensors.

Now how much Capacity does a building have... XD

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-24-18/1913:37> »
The housings table on 446 says "wall-mounted" arrays can be up to R4, while buildings' can be R8. I read that to mean the former are just screwed into brackets or whatever, while the latter are actually built into the walls and maybe hardwired or something.

Now how much Capacity does a building have... XD

Only limited by whatever they're slaved to, as per normal PAN / WAN rules, so... is it 8 devices, or does the whole set just count as 1 device? ? ?
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

OneSidedDie

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-24-18/2147:32> »
I'm thinking a "building" scanner is the kind that we see in airports or government buildings now. Something that can fit into a doorframe. I'd go with core prices (8k for R8) and make them cover one enterance. It's not really cheap when you have tons of doorways, windows, airducts, etc, that you have to cover. A rating 8 MAD scanner is still only going to have a range of 5m so it makes sense you would need to buy a lot. Can't really cover a whole building with that.
I think vehicle sensors are more expensive because it has to fit into the structure of a vehicle without compromising it's integrity. At least hardened enough to survive hravel or advanced enough to tave the vehicles own movement into account. So I think the increased R5 prices are fine.

Only limited by whatever they're slaved to, as per normal PAN / WAN rules, so... is it 8 devices, or does the whole set just count as 1 device? ? ?

I am inclined to believe it is one device. If you get 3 marks on a vehicle to remote control it, would you then have to mark the camera to see where it is going? Same with cyberarm and it's spurs.
« Last Edit: <09-24-18/2153:24> by OneSidedDie »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <09-24-18/2359:22> »
A Sensor Array is officially 1 device, which takes [6] and has 8 Capacity, while it costs 10x a single Sensor (and has no partial replacement rules which I already once designed a houserule for), so I'm leaning towards count it as a single integrated device.

Good point on that a Wall-Mounted Housing of Rating 6 would normally be required to include a Sensor Array. Not 100% sure if I should consider that mandatory for a building using sensor arrays.

(As for Vehicles, I'm leaning towards Rating 7 available for anything above a motorcycle at costs 35k, and for boats & planes allow rating 8, but only the massive ones, so big planes and yachts and containerships.)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <09-25-18/0149:08> »
Oh,

My Day job is calling me.....

This is what I do as an Instrumentation Mechanic and Electrician..... Install sensors into buildings (usually industrial buildings.. but also office towers)

I can tell you right now, if you look at any office building in your town, somewhere in that building is a rather LARGE room, which houses the "Brain" for anywhere from 100 to 25,000 sensors spread out throughout the building.

You guys are thinking too small... and only on a security level. There are dozens to hundreds of sensors on every floor of a building testing for:
Heat Rise (Electrical fires)
Smoke (Fires)
air flow (Buildings suffocate people without forced air flow!)
Temperature (we call them Thermostats :P)
Alarm stations (for medical, fire)

And we are not even into the "convenience" side of sensors... Like auto doors, auto lights, window dimming, intercomms, and a host of other crap people "think" they need...

Trust me... this is more of headache then you want to explore!

Just apply the KISS method, and be happy!
-An array can only cover a single room, hallway, doorway, or wall facing.

Otherwise...

It's $115/hr for the first 8hrs, $175 for the next 2 hours, and $375 for every hour after that. Weekends are double time. Stats are Triple. :D

« Last Edit: <09-25-18/0152:08> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <09-25-18/0202:07> »
Okay, so for the warehouse compound I have in mind, I probably should go with 3 big storage rooms each with their own array including MAD-scanners and such in the doorways and smoke/heat detectors, a security array on the roof (with Ultrasound, Motion Sensors, Omni-Directional Microphone and stuff because of a bad experience with airbased invasions*, perhaps a set of 3~4 cameras to cover all angles...) and 4 security arrays for the 4 sides of the building.

*: Aaaaaah, memories... Players realizing the gap in the Johnson's order and stopping the others from exposing it during the negotiation... Racing a SWAT team and being rather scared of them...
« Last Edit: <09-25-18/0209:40> by Michael Chandra »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <09-25-18/1357:24> »
If its three big rooms, (as a warehouse I am assuming 20,000+. sqft)

It would depend on what you wanted the sensors to do.... Before we talk security, in a space that size you would have:

8 air flow sensors (4 head height mount, 4 ceiling mount)
16 R/R sensors (8 at knee height, 8 at ceiling mount)
24 pull stations
24 smokies would also be needed.

As the size goes up, double/triple the above.
For security: (Not SR security! figure that out for what you want :P)

Generally you would have contacts on every door and window (open, alarm sounds) for a starter, and go from there.

ultrasound/motion detectors (in the real world these are the same thing! as high quality motion sensors use ultrasound and not light) need an unobstructed field of "fire" to work... so you would need LOTS of these - warehouses are not generally empty, you have lines of supplies on shelves, stacked in rows and what have you, those supplies can create dead spots...

Same goes for cameras.

IN the SR world, where things run on 'Handwavium' go nuts!

But generally speaking, you're a little small on what you need. Best advice is to sketch out the building on a piece of paper, put in the interior walls/shelves/crates/supplies that the building is holding.. THEN  start installing your security! You will see where you need a camera, or a sensor much better then just in your head. With a sketch, you can see your blind spots, and your angles of entry, and your vectors of approach... and know where you need to put stuff.

Ideally, you should have the area mapped out as well, as that will also tell you just how far you can take your security systems. No point in putting outside mounted motion sensors if you warehouse is located on a Pier. Even with extreme calibration, all the heavy equipment, containers, and people in proximity will just set them off every 5 seconds. (This is why many shipping companies own their own piers at ports. They can fence off the area and secure that with camera and sensors and let the workers work without tripping alarms every 5 seconds as they shake the pier with their 80 ton tractor moving 20 ton shipping containers...)

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.