NEWS

Social boosters and gear purchasing

• 9 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« on: <06-15-11/0206:04> »
This is mostly concerning a missions character, but it covers non-Missions stuff as well.
What social skill boosters work with Negotiation rolls to purchase hard-to-get gear during 'down-time'? The boosters I'm thinking of are:
1) Emotisoft (sensor software. Not the fraggin' toy)
2) Enhanced Pheremone Receptors
3) Tailored Pheremones
4) Glamour

I've left out magic-based social boosts as I'm not familiar with them.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-15-11/0628:13> »
My only reply is to ask, why wouldn't they?
Anythink that gives you a bonus to a social skill works every time you use social skills.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #2 on: <06-15-11/0634:38> »
I think there's an optional rule allowing Cosmetic Surgery to boost Charisma.

You left out magic because you're unfamiliar and didn't want to post mistakes and spend time looking it up, or because you're not interested in them? I'll post 'em just in case:
- Kinesics (Rank 1-3) for a boost in Social Skills from 1 - 3.
- Improved Ability (<insert skill>) can be bought to boost Negotiation.

As for gear, I -think- there's the Vocal Range Enhancer for a +1... remember reading it somewhere on a charsheet.
In Attitude there's a piece of clothing which gives you Glamour. (Costs 100k though)
« Last Edit: <06-15-11/0637:31> by Xzylvador »

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-15-11/1041:58> »
Remember to disallow or limit social software based on the communication methods. Emotitoys and sensor software shouldn't work at all (or at least nowhere near as well) if you're interacting through text messages or inhuman personas.

We also disallow pheremone related bonuses if you're not near the other person physically, but that's a house rule.
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-15-11/1319:27> »
Xzylvador: I might have been more correct if I stated that the intent was for a mundane character.

James McMurray: That's the crux of the issue. There's a big difference between cruising the VR of the WeaponsMart Matrix site, and going to meet your guns-dealing contact in meatspace. The question is, with the off-screen rolls, does the mods that only work in person come into effect?
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-15-11/1551:30> »
The question is, with the off-screen rolls, does the mods that only work in person come into effect?
That ofcource depends on what your character is actually doing.
Character that knows he's much more likely to get a good deal if he negotiates in person, will go to negotiate in person if it's possible.
We also disallow pheremone related bonuses if you're not near the other person physically, but that's a house rule.
I wouldn't really call limiting bonuses that only work face to face, to only ably when being face  to face a house rule.
« Last Edit: <06-15-11/1554:46> by Mäx »
"An it harm none, do what you will"

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-15-11/1600:40> »
I only say that because the rules text of the bioware gives no limitations beyond what the reader chooses to imply. The actual text is "The subject’s body is altered to release specially designed pheromones to subtly influence others. Tailored pheromones add their rating as a dice pool modifier to Charisma and Social Skill Tests. This bonus has no effect on magical abilities and tests." While that might mean that it only works face to face, some groups draw different lines between fluff and rules than others.
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #7 on: <06-15-11/2120:17> »
Don't forget Street Cred.

Lots of people forget that one.

-k

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #8 on: <06-16-11/0917:47> »
No books at hand, but you got me curious:
What about Street Cred? You add it to your dicepool?

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <06-16-11/0925:31> »
Street Cred adds as a bonus to social tests dice pools where applicable.  The bonus cannot exceed the character's charisma.