NEWS

[6E] Character generation software Genesis - Release 6.0

• 7 Replies

taranion

• Newb
« on: <01-20-20/0415:08> »
For the last 5 or 6 weeks, I have been working on a new architecture for the character creation software "Genesis". The worst bugs are gone, so I am eager to release "Genesis 6" now.

https://www.rpgframework.de/index.php/en/2020/01/20/genesis-6-and-more/

The major feature is a more modularized approach, separating the application into the main application and plugins. This also allows for auto-updating the plugins and I hope to reduce the need to reinstall the application by that.

There are two more features the Shadowrun 6 players may benefit from:
  • You can add custom data files now.
    These data files are XML, accompanied by a Java properties file for the translations.
    Unfortunately there is no documentation - only examples by looking at the regular data in the Git repository.
    If you define custom data and add those to your character, your character can only be opened in the future by that instance of Genesis.
  • You can add data descriptions
    Genesis now allows you to export "Detail information" pages in your PDF. For spells this would include the spell details and the spell description, resulting in a "spellbook" for your character. For qualities it would be the quality description.
    Of course copyright forbids us to include this descriptions, so Genesis enables you to enter your own by creating another custom data file by copying the descriptions from your rulebooks.
I just made some skin deep tests of those features, so I am leaving it to you folks, to test it and give feedback.
With Genesis 6 having left my desk, I hope to start working on the pile of bugs that has been reported so far (Count today: 154 bugs, 38 feature requests)

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <01-21-20/1010:58> »
Taranion,

I downloaded the newer version last night.  I like the option to create the "spell book" took me a second to figure it all out because I hadn't read this email, nor would I say I'm IT master.

Again, I like and greatly appreciate the time and effort you have put into this. 

Best,
Ludwig
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-21-20/2328:32> »
Probably not a big deal or priority, but any chance you could add an option about where the program gets installed on a given machine? As in, not default to C: ?

kurtomatic

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-22-20/1419:37> »
Thanks for all your work on this!

RE: Version 6.1.1

First, I'm sure you are aware, but Windows 10 doesn't like your installer very much, from a security perspective. I'm guessing it's unsigned. Just making sure that you are conscious of the psychological hurdle you're asking users to make in overriding the security protocol to install your app.

Also, your app is enforcing errata'ed Power Point rules for Physical Adepts (1st column, p. 66 of the "corrected second printing"). PhysAds and MysAds have different PP rules now, and this application is calculating them the same way. This makes correctly creating a Physical Adept impossible.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: <02-22-20/1423:24> by kurtomatic »

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-27-20/1628:44> »
Thanks for all your work on this!

RE: Version 6.1.1

First, I'm sure you are aware, but Windows 10 doesn't like your installer very much, from a security perspective. I'm guessing it's unsigned. Just making sure that you are conscious of the psychological hurdle you're asking users to make in overriding the security protocol to install your app.

Also, your app is enforcing errata'ed Power Point rules for Physical Adepts (1st column, p. 66 of the "corrected second printing"). PhysAds and MysAds have different PP rules now, and this application is calculating them the same way. This makes correctly creating a Physical Adept impossible.

Cheers!

Yes, the adept power point issue is on my ToDo List. It is a confusing mess of first and second printing and to make things worse, different german rules. I need to make the behaviour configurable.

As for the signing of the application: Correct, I did not find the time to learn how to sign in my build chain on GitHub. Help would be appreciated.

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <02-27-20/1629:43> »
Release notes for plugin version 1.0.3

[SR6-24] – Tailored Pheremones: Influence not listed on skill element in PDF
    [SR6-87] – Racial qualities not listed in creation mode
    [SR6-89] – Machine Pistol silencers
    [SR6-96] – Page for information text ignores printing option
    [SR6-97] – Mentor Spirit “Snake” renders character unloadable
    [SR6-98] – Wrong price for Cavalier Arms Crocket EBR
    [SR6-99] – Failed loading character NullPointerException
    [SR6-100] – item skill category mismatch sniper rifles shown as machineguns
    [SR6-101] – Bipod on the Barrett Model 122 should be an under-barrel accessory
    [SR6-103] – Adding a SIN in career mode should cost money
    [SR6-105] – Beretta 201T, Internes Zubehör Schockpolster aus SR5 übernommen
    [SR6-108] – Invalid karma cost for “Gremlins”
    [SR6-109] – Don’t auto-include silencer in Ares Light Fire series anymore
    [SR6-111] – (Unmarshaller3.java:126) – Error in line 83, col 23: java.lang.NullPointerException
    [SR6-115] – Fixed availability of spatial recognizer
    [SR6-114] – Minor data cleanup for sensors and vision/optical enhancements

Kid Zero

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <11-04-21/2059:25> »
Question, can you make spirits/ally spirits with this software?

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <12-30-21/0958:15> »
Question, can you make spirits/ally spirits with this software?

No, this is not supported right now.