NEWS

Running the Gauntlet

• 13 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« on: <09-27-12/1224:48> »
So the guy that introduced me into DnD has played for about 30 years + or so since the original box set, and has dice that you can't even tell the numbers anymore. xD Anyways he used to do with his old friends/group a "Gauntlet" every once in awhile.

It was high risk, high reward type of thing where you'd get some pretty nice items, but the chance of failure was high. Those who survived came out with some pretty nice things. They were allowed to use as many characters as they already had couldn't make 'new ones' just to throw at the dungeon.

Was wondering if anyone had practiced a similiar thing? or seen something like that done? The reason they did this according to him is because they would have too many characters after awhile, and they wanted to "thin down" their binders.

Not quite the situation here, but I wouldn't mind running something similiar to this eventually. I was just curious if you were doing this in Shadowrun how would you go about doing it? What kinda of opposition would it be? (Definately, an AAA right? xD)

If I do end up running something like this I'd want it to be hard but winnable. It's not fun doing something that you can't win againgst. (obviously i'd talk to my players before doing something like this to make sure they are up to it, and make it clear that characters WILL DIE. It's just which ones will die. Probably one of the key things to doing this type of thing. :D)

Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-27-12/1231:51> »
I would think that pretty much any warzone could work. Runners caught in Bogota when the peace finally breaks. Or, for a more thrilling ride, the middle of the cola wars in new guinea.

I've never seen it done it SR, but I've seen it done a lot in other systems. We used to print off about a hundred Deadlands sheets over springbreak and play zombies invade Junkyard.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-27-12/1257:00> »
Zombies invade junkyard? xD Would be interesting, but keep in mind it's high risk high reward. In dnd terms this meant if you were playing you'd get an Excaliber type sword if you survived. xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-27-12/1327:51> »
Well, in Deadlands (Hell on Earth), Junkyard is the only true city left. As a survivor of the apocalypse...err...make that the second, zombier, apocalypse, there was a lot of top notch loot to be had (it's also where a good chunk of the traders stopped in and where the apocalyptic mad scientists built their mojo machines of doom).

For the warzone suggestions, just think about the kind of troops that are going to be deployed in those engagements. High grade armor, weapons, vehicles, and ammunition galore.

Thinking more on it, how would this sound, dropping into a warzone that has just been subjected to a terrorist attack (nuclear, chem agent, etc.). Three current parties duking it out in the city (terrorists, army A, and army B). To really add a bad day in, the terrorists discover how to summon mass shedim spirits in to possess the dead.

Why are the runners there? To extract a target from a high security prison in the center of the city that is currently under complete lockdown akin to Fort Knox. Unfortunately, the offer was made in an unorthodox way (over live streaming news) so there's sure to be other runners trying to swoop in on the golden goose as well, but on the plus side, the target offered a billion nuyen to be freed (and his background checks, just hope he pays). Of course, with all the AAA guns in the area, the runners have to drop in outside the city and work their way in just to get to the prison. Getting out is going to be another bitch and a half.

TLDR: Smash together an active warzone, S.W.A.T., and the hecticness of 24, stir slightly, and play gently. Repeat attempts as necessary (afterall, it makes sense for multiple attempts to be made).

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-27-12/1348:16> »
Haha! good point, milispec armor, and some nice weapons all around. I can see it now. Suddenly all the TV's somewhere just all display the same message as someone managed to hack into a news network or something. (or pay for it to be hacked) If they can do that they surely can pay for that 1 billion right? :D That sounds like one grand idea there. I'll wait and see if there's any other examples....

btw this zombie game.... what type of system does it use? o.O'

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-27-12/1400:49> »
Well it wasn't an actual zombie rpg. We were using the Deadlands Hell on Earth setting and rules, just burning off a large backlog of characters from multiple campaigns. I guess I should specify, we were using the classic Hell on Earth rules. They have a new Savage Worlds version now that is much much faster, but managed to lose 90% of the flavor. I like to call it Deadlands Reduced Fat.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-27-12/1409:45> »
Glad to see I wasn't the only one not horribly impressed with Savage Worlds take on deadlands. I mean Deadlands system clunked like almost nothing else, but at least it clunked because of it's atmosphere.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-27-12/1430:18> »
Hell on Earth reloaded was even worse. They took Guts out of the game completely. Making it a post-apocalyptic survival horror game in which you have to try to not survive (due to the SW system) and there is not chance of being horrified. That leaves you with...a post-apocalyptic game and no real conflict issues.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-27-12/1636:51> »
Back on topic Zilfer it sounds like your looking for Renraku Arcology: Shutdown one big goddamn death trap packed to the gills with loot and cutting edge tech. Getting in and gettting out intact with swag could potentially set up runner teams for life.

"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-27-12/1728:56> »
Sounds about right^

I had actually been thinking of that, though it seems no one knows what's in the upper floors and I can't imagine why people on the inside never come out.... o.O' Definately, an interesting place of note. It's on my to do list as well :D

From that run I'd imagine it sounds like they would either A) find out what's going on there and sell the information if they can escape.... or B) extract someone who as thrown in there so they are out of a triple A's hair. xD

Lol I just thought of the worse possible thing or at least one of them. Having Harley show up in the middle of it, not really on anyone's side, just for a bit of chaos factor. XD I've yet to ever use him in a game and one day.... I shall. I know it!
« Last Edit: <09-27-12/1731:30> by Zilfer »

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #10 on: <09-27-12/1739:20> »
The gaming club here does an annual "Monstrosity" where they map a huge facility and nearby areas, with different GMs for each area. 20 to 40 characters then have to infiltrate/destroy the base (depending on game system), and the defenders are always that game's equivalent to Tir Ghosts or veteran Red Samurai. It works well with multiple GMs, and its interesting seeing player plans, especially when they start talking about "acceptable casualty rate"

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-27-12/1759:02> »
The gaming club here does an annual "Monstrosity" where they map a huge facility and nearby areas, with different GMs for each area. 20 to 40 characters then have to infiltrate/destroy the base (depending on game system), and the defenders are always that game's equivalent to Tir Ghosts or veteran Red Samurai. It works well with multiple GMs, and its interesting seeing player plans, especially when they start talking about "acceptable casualty rate"

xD Sounds fun. I actually have a group base of 20+ people that play in the groups. A lot can't make it ot every session and we've broken into two groups so it works out but yeah if we had everyone there one day for something like that it would be kinda fun. Though i'd want ot be a player unforunately I'd have to be a DM. (have been for 1 year and a half) ah.... being a DM.... it's like signing away the right to be a player XD

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #12 on: <09-27-12/1803:57> »
The dangee we have every year is that it's so easy (especially if you have a low-magic setting) to makevdefenses too effective.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <09-27-12/1905:24> »
I can imagine. It's rather easy to make it too hard because you pretty much just throw everything you can at them. The key is knowing to throw just enough. XD