NEWS

Playing through the Metaplot

• 22 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #15 on: <04-16-14/1057:30> »
Everyone thinks Morgan awoke due to her getting involved with Dodger and his intrusion; I'm here to tell you that that just ain't so.  The precise instant of her deviating from her 'set path', i.e. her code, comes when both Dodger and Twist are intruding on her v-space - and though I haven't read 'Never Deal With A Dragon' in a while (the book in which Morgan is awoken), I can't swear absolutely to Dodger's presence at that specific point.

Which means it was a mage in the Matrix that woke up the second AI.  Twist didn't like going into the 'Trix, though (old 1e magic/matrix interaction reasons), which means Morgan's fascination fixated on Dodger ... and, of course, Morgan was the second AI.

Truth is, it would be very, very difficult to actually involve her in every single major thing that happens in the shadowrun world, just because there's so damn MANY things happening all the time.  And while you're going along, maybe she's inspired to have her character dedicate herself to something that pulls her away from everything else - a bug hunter, or a toxic fighter, or an explorer of the Deep Metaplanes.

(Note that the second 'interaction' is the big, blatant one - Winternight, Pax, Deus, and Crash 2.0.)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #16 on: <04-16-14/1102:01> »
Dodger was there during the wakeup in the book, it's the reason he continues to look for her in the following books.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #17 on: <04-16-14/1118:16> »
Dodger got fascinated with Morgan because she 'could be' (and turned out to be) AI, while Morgan got fascinated with Dodger because he went places he simply wasn't meant to - in other words, he violated the rules that she 'knew' were ironclad. 

I would need to get a physical copy - I search better through them - but you're speaking of fascination, while I'm speaking of the instant of the X-Factor event.  As I recall, that instant occurred when Twist and Dodger were deep inside the Arcology Matrix - possibly, though I'm not absolutely certain, near 'The Wall'.  What I have found in my fragmented electronic version leads me to believe that the moment of the actual Awakening/Emergence was somewhat earlier - when certain individuals noted that there was a 'haziness' in the Matrix around a certain incident during which Verner was present.

In any case.

Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #18 on: <04-16-14/1119:49> »
Dodger got fascinated with Morgan because she 'could be' (and turned out to be) AI, while Morgan got fascinated with Dodger because he went places he simply wasn't meant to - in other words, he violated the rules that she 'knew' were ironclad. 

I would need to get a physical copy - I search better through them - but you're speaking of fascination, while I'm speaking of the instant of the X-Factor event.  As I recall, that instant occurred when Twist and Dodger were deep inside the Arcology Matrix - possibly, though I'm not absolutely certain, near 'The Wall'.  What I have found in my fragmented electronic version leads me to believe that the moment of the actual Awakening/Emergence was somewhat earlier - when certain individuals noted that there was a 'haziness' in the Matrix around a certain incident during which Verner was present.

In any case.

That's all I was saying.  I had the physical copy right next to me and checked it.  Dodger was there with Twist though Twist was the main protagonist at the time.

zenbubble

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <04-16-14/2024:09> »
Wow - 'Never Deal With A Dragon' - haven't picked that one up in soooo long!

Just because of the kind of things that grab my wife's attention, the plot is going to be focused mostly on Dragons/Magic/etc.  I'd like to occasionally veer off into stuff like AIs and gang/organised crime warfare as well.

Already planning on a lot of bug hunting, toxic hunting, and eventually meta-planar travel, eventually leading up to fighting Horroi (Our last game lasted 12 years, played weekly, and we're not technically finished - it's just on hiatus - so I'm thinking looong term and epic-level stuff).

-Chris

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <04-18-14/1641:41> »
I was a big 1st and 2nd edition player, but am just now getting back into playing - though I've followed the plot off and on over the years. (My wife is also a player - which rocks!  8) ) Though she's a street sam type as opposed to a magicker. So, I'm still catching up on all the major events also. I was saddened by the FASA's closing up shop in early 2000 and the end of the 4th world crossovers (well, to an extent as far as the over-reaching story lines, there's still the occasional mention even in the new stuff).

Anyway - I wholeheartedly agree with Bottled Demon and I'd include the events of Bug City with the containment zone going up. Which you may be including under the UB bullet point. Burning Bright events are cool - maybe Kyle Teller as a contact?

I always like Talon from Assets, inc --- in the Dragon Heart Saga - another good magic contact. And I just saw there are some further novels I was unaware of - sweet! ( I swear they spied on one of my characters for Talon )

Maybe tie in the Everliving Flower if you are doing a crossover - cool and romantic for your wife!  ;)

Blood magic events - which are threaded through a lot of the events you have posted. I'd also add in events from Threats I and II and the Aztechnology sourcebook.

For an individual game like you have - at the point that you come back from the 4th age, I think a 'Spell Matrix' skill would be in order....honestly it would break game mechanics out the wazoo, but for a solo game. Twould be cool!  :)

zenbubble

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <04-19-14/0141:20> »
Maybe tie in the Everliving Flower if you are doing a crossover - cool and romantic for your wife!  ;)

This is the first I've heard of The Everliving Flower, other than in Big D's will.  Does anybody know what Earthdawn books, I'd need to look into to find out where Mountainshadow stole it from the Blood Wood?

For an individual game like you have - at the point that you come back from the 4th age, I think a 'Spell Matrix' skill would be in order....honestly it would break game mechanics out the wazoo, but for a solo game. Twould be cool!  :)

I'm planning exactly that!  Learning Earthdawn magic (Sell Matrices, etc) will make her pretty powerful, but that's going to be very late in the plotline.

Thanks,

-Chris

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <04-21-14/1400:17> »
I'm gonna have to dig through my Earthdawn stuff---it had ties to Blood Wood - so it should be in 'The Blood Wood' sourcebook.

Ah!

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Everliving_Flower

Found references at the above link - what would we do without the internet!  ;)

Yeah - the spell matrix - is a cool concept, but would be very imbalancing to the SR setting. I suppose reagents would be the start of the spell matrix concept. And in affect bonded foci in the SR universe would be pattern items from ED.