NEWS

Playing through the Metaplot

• 22 Replies

zenbubble

• Newb
« on: <04-14-14/2105:15> »
Hey everybody,

I've finally convinced my wife to play Shadowrun after 20 years of harassing. WooHoo!

I'm planning on running her through the metaplot, starting in 2050.  The first "season" of the game will feature her character (an Elven Archer PhysAd) making contacts and meeting the big players in the game. Her background includes ties to Dunkelzhan, and she's already met Harlequin, Hatchetman, Wolfgang Kies and Dr. Richard Raven. Next session she gets a gig working as the "B-Team" for a run with Sally Tsung, Dodger and Ghost. She'll also be establishing ties to a gang, so that she has backup for bigger missions.

So, If I'm running through the metaplot, year by year, what are the big things that have to be included. So far my timeline looks something like this like this:

• Mercurial
  • Harlequin (with other encounters thrown in between missions)
  • Dragon Hunt
  • Queen Euphoria
  • Universal Brotherhood (probably updated to include Harlequin's involvement as per Shadowrun Returns)
  • Elven Fire
  • Super Tuesday (Heavily modified, focussing on her relationship with Dunkelzhan)
  • Something about Dunkelzhan's death - The Ruan Mercury/DragonHeart novels
  • Survival Of The Fittest
  • Dawn Of The Artifacts
  • Harlequin's Gambit

The long-game plan is for her to eventually trip through the meta-planes, end up back in the Fourth World, get turned into a Drake by Mountainshadow/Far Scholar, and then, back in the Sixth World, end up working for Harlequin as one of the first Lightbearers in the Sixth World.

So what big metaplot beats have I missed?

I know I have to crowbar the Arcology Shutdown in there somewhere.  What else have I missed?  Can be published adventures, or elements from sourcebooks or  novels.

Thanks,

-Chris

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-14-14/2259:02> »
! Please don't be offended by this, it was the first analogy that popped into my mind

Let's say your wife is a huge fan of 50 Shades of Grey, and she wanted to try not just some of the stuff in book, but all of it. (and Yes I have read it.), would you be a little freaked out if she made you sign a non-disclosure agreement then she spent thousands of dollars building a dungeon in your basement and wanted to reenact all the scenes in the book. (Well maybe you would be thrilled..but my point is the average vanilla guy might be a little freaked out.)

Maybe start her out with a novel or short story.. I would see what parts she might enjoy first, sounds like from your post she would be going along with everything just because you have been bugging her for 20 years. You know your wife better than me, maybe I'm wrong. It just seems like she would be going along just to please you.. If it were me, from what you posted, I would start out simple.

Are you playing with other people?.. 
« Last Edit: <04-14-14/2312:54> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

zenbubble

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-14-14/2346:42> »
Not offended in the slightest!

Yes,  a big part of the reason we're playing Shadowrun is that I've been bugging her for twenty years.  it's only fair, though - we've been playing her favourite genre (Superheroes) for about 15 of those 20 years.

The game is one GM-One Player. After many attempts at getting a gaming group up and running, I've only ever been able to get one player who consistently shows up, and that's her. Luckily for me, she's as big a gaming junkie as I am.

I understand that she may not buy-in to Shadowrun.  We've played four sessions so far, and she tells me that she's really enjoying it.  There is still an understanding that if the novelty wears off, we'll move on to something else.

I'm just planning out the long-term metaplot so that I can lay appropriate seeds for ideas early on. For example - one beginner/milk run she got was to deliver a magic sword to some elf named Quentin.  Couple of encounters along the way, and the run is over - but I got to lay in the hints that there are other/older types of magic than what the general public are generally aware of (it's a fourth-age magic sword), and that some half-drunk elf named Quentin is more than he seems (Harlequin is not only a high-circle Wizard, but also a high-circle Swordmaster).

And yes, she picked Harlequin. I've only been fanboying out about him for 20 years :)

-Chris

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-15-14/0042:50> »
hmm.. Reading your reply..

Try a convention, where you and your wife can play together.. You might be so in sync, again don't be offended, but it might be off putting to someone who is on the outside.. Especially if your playing with someone who doesn't know you that well. An outsider might feel like the fifth wheel (Or third wheel in this case.) I keep trying to think of another analogy, but my mind keeps going back to the 50 Shades one. Imagine your dungeon scenario with your wife, and now add a special guest star to that.  I personally would find it awkward and actually had a personal bad experience with a gaming group where the husband was a GM and his Wife was a player. (Then there was that other non-gaming thing that was even more awkward with some guy and his girlfriend...but that's for a different forum... or psychologist.)

The spouse is usually going to get preferential treatment from the GM, even if it's unintentional. I think it could work, but you would probably want a bigger group, and I would recommend starting out simple. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

zenbubble

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-15-14/0050:09> »

We've been gaming one-GM/one-player for over a decade now. Like I said, we haven't been able to find any other players, and not for lack of trying.

Can you see any points in the metaplot that I've missed?

-Chris

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-15-14/0221:18> »

We've been gaming one-GM/one-player for over a decade now. Like I said, we haven't been able to find any other players, and not for lack of trying.

Can you see any points in the metaplot that I've missed?

-Chris

As far as metaplots go, I haven't seen any major ones that I know of, but I generally don't bother with those to begin with.

Although if you are looking for interaction with more than just your wife, you can always see if you can't get an online game going (assuming a 2 PC household). You can use skype, or do a mumble/roll 20 setup if you want maps as well (I know skype has the drawing board but roll20 you can build real maps and do tokens and such).

I've had pretty good luck at people coming regularly (first week always has a no show though), and its fairly easy to fill in people who drop out over time.

Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

zenbubble

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-15-14/0227:20> »
Thanks for the suggestions regarding contacting new players, guys, but we're perfectly happy with the game as it is.

Anybody have any ideas on points of the metaplot that I'm missing?

-Chris

martinchaen

« Reply #7 on: <04-15-14/0756:31> »
I can honestly say I haven't really been able to read up on the ENTIRE metaplot since SR1, you'd want to ask The Wyrm Ouroboros to be sure; he has an uncanny ability to recall detail (or his google-fu is strong, either way, you win).

The Sixth World Almanac is your go-to source for info. If you're starting in 2050, notable events leading up to 2075 include, but are not limited to;
The introduction of commercial cyberdecks and accompanying simsense tech
Buttercup's "I'm a free spirit, bitches!" reveal
A whole mess of political interactions, NAN and Aztech stands out

2051:
Dr Halberstam's release from the UCAS Data Systems (small event with significant ripple effect, as this sets the stage for the events of Emerged)

2052:
Bioware is introduced
Trade agreement between Seattle and the Tir

2053:
UCAS President Adams dies, Steele takes over, James Booth new VP
More Arkologies come online
Events of Elven Fire are revealed (since you mentioned it)
Cross Technologies comes onto the scene
New York City and Washington DC suffer from hurricane
Yamatetsu triggers a global corporate war

2054:
The events of Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall
Crate Lake is locked down by the Tir
Bunch of assassinations/assasination attempts
Atlantis!

And so on and so forth. I mean, you could spend YEARS trying to guide a player through the metaplot. I doubt I would be able to summarize it, because the sheer wealth of information is so exhaustive and so broad, that unless you choose to focus on something and just reference everything else I think you'll be hard pressed to include even a small percentage of the stuff that takes place.

Cronstintein

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <04-15-14/1038:22> »
Yeah I was reading the wikia last night on the general timeline and there is a TON of stuff on there so I would just pick points that seem interesting personally and not worry too much about being completionist about it.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #9 on: <04-15-14/1136:44> »
I would include bottled daemon in the universal brotherhood story line as well as doom stuff from bug city.

As far as things that happened in the shadowrun world that people sometimes talk about, I would also have DNA/DOA and the archeology shutdown and some of the corp war stuff as it is shaking up the comprehensive court which to me is major. The mob war stuff as it effects Seattle's underworld meta a bit. And who could forget one stage before and on the run, jet black lives. :)

Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <04-15-14/1216:49> »
Check out Sixth World Almanac, that has everything you need.

zenbubble

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <04-15-14/2042:43> »
Cool!

Thanks for the advice.  Had forgotten about Bottled Demon - It's one of my favourite games to run.

Bushw4cker - will have to pick up a copy of the Sixth World Almanac - I've read many good things.

-Chris

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #12 on: <04-16-14/0106:06> »
I can honestly say I haven't really been able to read up on the ENTIRE metaplot since SR1, you'd want to ask The Wyrm Ouroboros to be sure; he has an uncanny ability to recall detail (or his google-fu is strong, either way, you win).

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED!!!

*coughs*  Sorry.

Here's the thing - there are a whole bunch of different metaplots in Shadowrun.  Do you want the AI metaplot?  The Evolution of Magic?  The Political Scene?  How To Fight The Corps And Survive?  What's All This About Mars, Again?

You likely get the idea.  While you could go with just one of those, you also have to understand that all of them interact with each other.  It looks like you want to go with the Evolution of Magic (note that you're missing the real really bad guys, the toxics), but that metaplot crosses with the AI metaplot in at least two different points in time, one obvious, one not so much, and other possible ones are so subtle to be a matter of philosophical difference.  The Political scene, the corporate interactions, all that stuff piles into the 'Evolution of Magic' and suchlike again and again.

So really ... keep her away from this thread, and we'll work wonders with you.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

zenbubble

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <04-16-14/0535:30> »
The AI metaplot is one that I'd like to know more about.

I've been following the Evolution Of Magic since Shadowrun Day 1 (Yes, I bought a First Edition rulebook the day it hit stores - I'm THAT old), but AIs is where my Kung Fu is weak.

I know it involves Dodger, and Morgan/Megara/something like that. What do I need to read to get up to speed?  Where does it touch the Magic metaplot?

I'm already thinking about including Halberstam's Children from the 1e Virtual Realities sourcebook.

Thanks heaps,

-Chris

martinchaen

« Reply #14 on: <04-16-14/0834:35> »
Hehe, nice going, Wyrm. We may not always see eye to eye on rules, but I'll be damned if you don't have one of the best grasps on the plot that I've ever seen. Much respect :)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, zenbubble, and I hope your game turns out to be awesome (for the both of you)!