NEWS

More Spirit Questions

• 16 Replies

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« on: <09-29-10/1906:17> »
Greetings all
One of My Players asked this any opinions?
"If a weapon ignores armor does it also ignore the hardened armor of Spirits?

Please look up Ares Sonic Rifle in Arsenal p39 for the reason why i ask?"
My current answer is No because the Power is Immunity to Normal Weapons but am I correct?

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-29-10/1951:41> »
If the spirit has immunity to normal weapons I would agree. If it just has hardened armor than it might ignore the armor.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-30-10/0935:54> »
Agree too. Now the question is :
If your weapon's DV passes over the immunity, does the immunity still grants the armors dices ?
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Sonarean

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-30-10/1128:47> »
Honestly, given how the two interact, it looks like it should ignore hardened armor for anything that has ears.  And since there doesn't seem to be a way to give hardened armor to a metahuman, it's not a issue.  (please correct me if there is a way.)

Spirits, being the entities of magic they are, don't really have ears and so their hardened armor should apply. 

Same with drones/vehicles.  Turning up the volume on the stereo isn't going to damage a car overly much.

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #4 on: <09-30-10/1558:41> »
Agree too. Now the question is :
If your weapon's DV passes over the immunity, does the immunity still grants the armors dices ?

Yes. The spirit still rolls Body + Armor
Commanding Officer of the Floridian Ninja Surfing Drop Bear Pirates!!!

Shah Dude!!

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #5 on: <10-01-10/0156:48> »
Spirits, being the entities of magic they are, don't really have ears and so their hardened armor should apply. 

You can burn a fire spirit to death.  Why?  Because it's not made of fire, but ectoplasm.  If you think of a spirit as a ball of ectoplasm to be disrupted, then sonics seem like a pretty good weapon to use against them.  Sonic weapons can disrupt things at the molecular level.  Besides, sonic stuff is so niche that it deserves to destroy the crap out of giant cheeseball spirits.  Seriously.  Spirits are garbage.  Kill them all.  I'm not going to pretend to be neutral on this one. 

If they had "Immunity to Sonic" listed among their powers, then I would allow them to resist.  They don't, so they can't.
Vehicles however are immune to Stun damage, so no problems there.

Also, the screech is resisted by willpower, not body.  An Adept's sonic strike is body though, afaik.
« Last Edit: <10-01-10/0159:15> by Kontact »

Wraith235

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <10-02-10/0940:02> »
Honestly, given how the two interact, it looks like it should ignore hardened armor for anything that has ears.  And since there doesn't seem to be a way to give hardened armor to a metahuman, it's not a issue.  (please correct me if there is a way.)

Invoked Guardian Spirit gains the power of Endowment ... immunity to normal weapons is a power that all spirits possess so in essence ... yes ... a Meta human can gain Hardened armor this way

not sure if theres any other way off the top of my head

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-02-10/1442:31> »
Wraith where does it say that all spirits have immunity to normal weapons?

Some greater spirits do, but not all spirits as far as I can see.

Walks Through Walls

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-02-10/1458:08> »
it states it in the power Materialization<sp> that when a spirit materializes it gain the power (p213Running wild, p296SR4A)

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-02-10/1514:35> »
I don't have running wild. I was looking in the core book and street magic

Walks Through Walls

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-02-10/2143:32> »
I don't have running wild. I was looking in the core book and street magic
it should be p296 mainSR4A then

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #11 on: <10-03-10/0001:51> »
And since there doesn't seem to be a way to give hardened armor to a metahuman, it's not a issue.  (please correct me if there is a way.)

Cyborgs.

I think that's pretty much the only way.

-k

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #12 on: <10-03-10/0015:32> »
What about cyberzombies?  I thought they gained it as well.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <10-03-10/0458:17> »
Yes, cyberzombies gain immunity to normal weapons, with their negative Essence being used instead of Force.  This is extra bad for anyone fighting them.  Their astral hazing will often disrupt things such as killing hands or weapon foci, which would normally negate immunity to normal weapons.  And since cyberzombies have boosted augmented Attribute maximums and are typically crammed full of deltaware, they will usually have lots of implanted and worn armor on top of that immunity to normal weapons.

Personally, I think immunity to normal weapons is too broad of a power.  A lot of non-magical weapons have forms of attack (fire, sonics, etc.) that I feel would fall under different categories of immunity.  I personally think it should only work against non-magical physical attacks such as blades, bullets, etc. and not apply to things such as electricity or acid.  Purely by RAW, though, it works against any attack that is not explicitly magical.

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <10-03-10/1117:47> »
Purely by RAW, though, it works against any attack that is not explicitly magical.

or is an allergen or weakness to the being/critter in Question