NEWS

Negative quality: Allergy

• 3 Replies

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« on: <09-28-10/2034:01> »
After a visit froma friend from Australia, I have seen how bad mild allergy can effect you. He was allergic to our cats (score2 for the cats, they are very friendly and loving so he felt bad for shooing the away lol) how many points would you call a mild allergy to cat or dog? I say 5 (2 for mild and 3 for uncommmon) but there is the argument that cats and dogs are the most commman pet so now I ask the community?

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #1 on: <09-28-10/2100:20> »
Just, for comparison, look at what they call common, like seawater in a port city (it's in the air anywhere near the Sound) or sunlight.  Then you decide if cats and dogs cut it as "common."
Really though, it all depends on your game.  If every (80% or more?) private residence you enter is going to have cat hair, then it's common.  So, it would be a likely penalty every time that character entered someone's home, apartment, billet or whatever, (which shouldn't be too often in most games, but can be.)  Basically, if you want it to be fair, work it out between the GM and player.  Discuss how common "common" is from a defined mechanical standpoint and play with the interpretation you're both happy with.  But, hey, if you as the GM want to give a player a little extra BP on the free, there's really nothing stopping you.  You don't need to try and game the system to fit into a 400BP mold.  Make characters you're happy with, then play!

Personally, I don't see wage slaves being allowed living pets (I imagine most people who can afford to spend the majority of their free time in Utopian VR worlds instead of the sickly, cramped world they live in,) and I don't see barrens folk letting a good meal sit on their lap instead of in their stomach.  But, like I said, every 6th world is different.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <09-28-10/2100:31> »
I'd leave it at 5 because even though it is common, it is easy to avoid. Unlike an allergy to soy, which is in most foodstuffs, the PC can limit his contact to the animals in question.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-30-10/0550:24> »
That also might depend on the rest of the team, my Sasha for example has 3 cats as pets so in a game with her i would say that it definedly counts as common, becouse being near her would possibly trigger the allergy, to say nothing about meet-up at her place ;)
"An it harm none, do what you will"