NEWS

Finding games?

• 1 Replies

Fromper

• Newb
« on: <09-17-12/1109:48> »
Is there some place on the web site that people advertise upcoming Missions games? If not, how do you advertise games in your area? How do newbies find out about games?

I may be moving soon, and I'd like to find out if there's any Shadowrun Missions being played where I'll be going, so I'm just wondering how to do that, other than googling the word "Shadowrun" and the name of the city where I'll be moving.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #1 on: <09-17-12/1140:29> »
Find a local fixer? :)

Seriously, though, you might take a look at the Looking for Games threads here (http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?board=20.0).  Maybe post something there that you're looking for a game in your new area.  Look at the similar threads on Dumpshock, since not everyone follows both boards regularly.  Every group is a little different.  (My group has a group on Facebook, but it's a private group and used mostly to sort out RL logistical issues.  I imagine other groups do this as well.)  If you're comfortable broadcasting you're new location to all of Jackpoint, post a new LFG thread--it's really cool how many people are from so many different places on here.

The standard advice applies:  Check the FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store) in your new area (both their website and their physical store).  Sometimes you'll get lucky and it'll be one where someone is already running a game, but probably more often you'll hear of a local group running somewhere else.  If not, offer to run one if you're comfortable with that--and it may come to that depending on the game demographic (it may be that the store has only minis games, or only D&D/Pathfinder/whatever.)  Post a note on the store's bulletin board (if they have one) saying you're LFG (Looking for Group/Game).

For Missions games, you might take a look at the Catalyst Demo Team website (http://www.catalystdemos.com, or it's linked from the main Catalyst web site).  You can register there as a player and see who's registered and running games in the area.  You probably won't be able to find specific events there in general (because not everyone posts them there), but it can at least help you to get in touch with anyone running Missions in the area.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)