NEWS

'Sternsnacht' Hand-cannon

• 22 Replies

valavaern

• Chummer
« on: <07-26-12/2232:10> »
Haven't seen anyone actually do this here, so....
edits in red

'Sternsnacht' Hand Cannon (Heavy Pistol)
Damage       AP        Mode             RC        Ammo           Avail          Cost
   8P            -           SA                -            6(c)              8R           500¥
this gun suffers a +1 concealability modifier, uses sporting rifle ammunition, light pistol ranges, and suffer double uncompensated recoil.  not compatible with Barrel Shortening.
A great big gun that fires great big bullets, this act of madness is supposedly base on a sporting rifle pulled off a go-ganger in the Barrens, having had it's stock removed, and it's barrel chopped down to almost nothing.  While most wouldn't have even picked up that original weapon on a dare, let alone tried to fire it, this limited production model is gaining a small cult following.

Based loosely on the Wildhuter rifle, this pistol is longer than even a Super Warhawk, with an arguably bigger punch and a much bigger kick.  It's shortened barrel is still long enough to make concealing a bit more of a hassle than normal heavy pistols, but those who use the gun don't seem to mind.

Due it's ammunition being designed to travel along a much longer barrel to get proper speed, the Sternsnacht's bullets don't penetrate quite as good as they would in a normal rifle, but they'll still let a lot of daylight through lightly armored targets.

Behind the scenes stat construction for this weapon:
Start with Wildhuter from Arsenal
remove scope and stock (removes RC, and -1 concealability)
Barrel Reduction x4 (down to 20% riffle ranges, switched out to pistol ranges)
Add Semi-Auto firing
Add heavy recoil
Fiddle with price & availability
Done~

Comments from the Peanut gallery?
pretty much the final stats now.  Bumped it back up to 6 rounds, which is what you get if you stick a Battletech extended clip in it.
« Last Edit: <02-02-13/1333:03> by valavaern »
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #1 on: <07-26-12/2241:26> »
I will now carry no other pistol  8)

Edit: unless someone stats the Space Marine .79 caliber BoltGun, though maybe its only feasible as a Bolter HMG
« Last Edit: <07-26-12/2258:57> by ArkangelWinter »

Unadept

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-26-12/2247:03> »
Not bad - gives a good bonus, but sports a limitation to balance it out.

I'd drop damage down to 7P - the bullet stops accelerating once it exits the barrel, so the shorter barrel will result in less kinetic energy.

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <07-26-12/2258:37> »
Not bad - gives a good bonus, but sports a limitation to balance it out.

I'd drop damage down to 7P - the bullet stops accelerating once it exits the barrel, so the shorter barrel will result in less kinetic energy.

Interesting point, but I think I'll pass on that; that'd give it the same same damage + AP value a Warhawk (7+1 vs 6+2), and I want it to have a noticeable boost.
Also, lower velocity doesn't neccisarily translate into less damage; a little less power could actually make the bullet expend more of it's energy in the target, rather than the hill behind the target.  That's part of why .45 rounds hurt so much vs. a lot of other pistol rounds~
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <07-26-12/2300:23> »
Looking at my Battletech book again, I may just outright swap the ranges down to Light Pistol ranges, and take out the increased range modifiers... :/
~~~~~
~~~~~

Unadept

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-27-12/0015:29> »
Interesting point, but I think I'll pass on that; that'd give it the same same damage + AP value a Warhawk (7+1 vs 6+2), and I want it to have a noticeable boost.
Also, lower velocity doesn't neccisarily translate into less damage; a little less power could actually make the bullet expend more of it's energy in the target, rather than the hill behind the target.  That's part of why .45 rounds hurt so much vs. a lot of other pistol rounds~

By that logic, you could drop the AP -1 to 0 and keep the DV 8P, reasoning that the reduced velocity results in lesser armor penetration, but still has enough mass to grind up the insides.

But hey, it's your gun.

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <07-27-12/0024:04> »

By that logic, you could drop the AP -1 to 0 and keep the DV 8P, reasoning that the reduced velocity results in lesser armor penetration, but still has enough mass to grind up the insides.

But hey, it's your gun.

Not a bad idea... it's something to think on, at least.
~~~~~
~~~~~

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-27-12/0525:43> »
Looking at my Battletech book again, I may just outright swap the ranges down to Light Pistol ranges, and take out the increased range modifiers... :/

You should also reduce it down to 3 rounds, and a Revolver.

_Pax_

« Reply #8 on: <07-27-12/1205:30> »
Revolver I agree with.  The DV8, AP-0 is also good ... makes the gun diferent.

Not sure about reducing it to 3 rounds.  4, maybe.

And, for the love of god, if you do go with it being a revolver, define what the "Increased Cylinder" modification does with this gun.[/i]  That modification is SO annoying.   >:(

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #9 on: <07-27-12/1211:12> »
Dropping it to 3 rounds would match the the original Battletech model, though I dont think it was avrevolver. It would also justify a small cost drop, turning it into an affordable "gun for a man that can't shoot".

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <07-27-12/1236:13> »
I'm thinking hard on the 8-0 idea... and yeah, it should have a 3 round mag, your right... though I may just say this version already carries the extended clip mod (and extended clip in BT would, in fact, get it up to 6 rounds~)

It's NOT a revolver, though.  Firstly, because it just ISN'T, and secondly because firing riffle rounds rounds from a revolver chamber is a very special kind blow-your-own-face-off bad idea.
~~~~~
~~~~~

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <07-27-12/1246:59> »
If it's a modified Wildhuter, then wouldn't it have the original's SS fire rate? I didn't see a mod to change that in the list. (The Wildhuter is bolt action, so I guess a pistol verison of it would look kind of like this.)

_Pax_

« Reply #12 on: <07-27-12/1315:42> »
It's NOT a revolver, though.  Firstly, because it just ISN'T, and secondly because firing riffle rounds rounds from a revolver chamber is a very special kind blow-your-own-face-off bad idea.
If the cylinder is heavy enough to handle the rounds, then it's no worse than firing them from any other arrangement.  Case(s) in point, the Colt Paterson, Dragoon Carbine, Model 1855, and Buntline 1873.  Note that the 1855 came in .38, .44, and .56 variations.

So, it's entirely possible - especially with 2070s era materials science - to produce a cylinder-based weapon that can handle rifle cartridges.  :)

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <07-27-12/1320:58> »
If it's a modified Wildhuter, then wouldn't it have the original's SS fire rate? I didn't see a mod to change that in the list. (The Wildhuter is bolt action, so I guess a pistol verison of it would look kind of like this.)

Derp.  Forgot to add that in.
That IS a great picture, though~   pretty close to what this think would look like~
~~~~~
~~~~~

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <07-27-12/1321:14> »

I think he's less using weapons and modding them and more using the stats of existing weapons as a base to try and keep his custom weapons from being too "overpowered".
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen