NEWS

Barrett Model 122, APDS Rounds, Ultrasound Sensors

• 10 Replies

steelybran

• Newb
« on: <08-20-19/1724:52> »
Haven't tried this yet in game play, but something I'm considering. 
Sniper has a Barrett Model 122 loaded with APDS rounds, giving it an AP of -10.
Ultrasound Sensors handed out to members of the team, rating 8 - Linked up via team Decker
Build includes Agility 9 + Longarms 7 + Sniper Rifle Spec + Sharpshooter Quality (Called shots at -2 instead of -4)
Gun has smartgun option, character has Datajack and Internal Router (+2 to ACC, +2 to dice pool for wireless option)
Cybereyes (Rat 4) with Image Link, Vision Enhancement x3, Smart Link, Visual magnification, Low Light vision, thermographic vision, flare compensation, microscopic lenses

Headshots - 18 Dice Pool, Average 6 hits per roll
Gun is 14DV
Average Damage - 20 DV with -10 AP -  Anything other than a Blast Bunker isn't stopping the bullet

Subtract 1 damage for the barrier
Add 2 damage for the Vitals called shot

21 DV to target, - 10 AP - and if the group is being stealthy, first shot will be with the defender unaware of the attack

Setup across the street
Remove the heads of people unaware they're being shot at from a person firing "bad person go away" rounds.
« Last Edit: <08-21-19/1434:16> by steelybran »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-21-19/0343:24> »
Yepp. You can improve on that concept by using the TAG action from Kill Code, allowing you to see the AR Persona of your target through the wall (gaining even more dice to hit)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <08-21-19/0423:33> »
Note that if you're effectively not actually seeing their precise position, it'd be Blind Fire I think? And you might face multiple walls so more than 1 damage lost. But yeah, this can work.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-21-19/1258:58> »
The primary issue I see with this is that ultrasound sensors don't go through walls. P. 446 of SR5 specifically says, it "can’t penetrate materials like glass that would be transparent to optical sensors."

Now if we're talking about radar sensors from Chrome Flesh (p. 81) that's a potentially different story, but that's cyberware and not a handheld sensor that's easy to distribute to the team.

I presume that the team are the spotters in this situation. Whether Blind Fire applies is ambiguous because Blind Fire isn't well defined. The rules don't really distinguish between "target location uncertain" and "target location totally fragging unknown". For example:

1) Target hiding behind a small piece of cover where there's no real question where they could be = Blind Fire
2) Target hiding behind a large piece of cover where it's uncertain where exactly they are = Blind Fire
3) Shooter firing at an invisible target whose vicinity is suspected but not definitely known = Blind Fire
4) Shooter firing in total darkness, target location could be anywhere up/down/left/right/wherever = Blind Fire

It's up to the GM to apply a sense of logic and fairness. My personal opinion is that the -6 Blind Fire penalty is best applied to situations where the shooter has a notion of where the target is but isn't 100% certain. For example, if the target is behind a large piece of cover, or if the target just went invisible but you know their last location, then -6 is appropriate. For situations where the target location is a mystery - i.e. the shooter is basically firing randomly - then I change course completely and make it an Edge test (or Intuition) because it's now about luck more than about skill. Other GMs may rule differently per their own preferences, their interpretations of the rules, and the exact situation at hand.

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-21-19/1400:08> »
Well, I was referring to linking the Ultrasound sensors up within the Grid (behind our Decker's firewall).  Then as the team activates them, it sends me data regarding their surroundings.  If the Decker can TAG those around as well, that would be good.

Something more akin to this:

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-21-19/1518:40> »
I suppose it depends on where exactly the sniper's team members are.

If they're in the room with the targets, this works because their ultrasound sensors can paint the room.

If they're not in the room with the targets, this doesn't work unless you're using radar sensors instead of ultrasound sensors.

Setting aside the mechanics of how it work in The Dark Knight for a moment, the gif that you're using is more akin to radar sensors, since the signal is going through floors, ceilings, walls, etc. Note that radar sensors wouldn't provide this level of detail/granularity though.

You could potentially get this effect if you had an ultrasound sensor in each and every room, which is more like the premise in The Dark Knight, but that's a somewhat different proposition since it requires a lot of groundwork to make it feasible.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <08-21-19/1730:00> »
You mean really small drones with ultrasound sensors? 8) Thanks for the idea.

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-21-19/2224:46> »
I suppose it depends on where exactly the sniper's team members are.

If they're in the room with the targets, this works because their ultrasound sensors can paint the room.

If they're not in the room with the targets, this doesn't work unless you're using radar sensors instead of ultrasound sensors.

Setting aside the mechanics of how it work in The Dark Knight for a moment, the gif that you're using is more akin to radar sensors, since the signal is going through floors, ceilings, walls, etc. Note that radar sensors wouldn't provide this level of detail/granularity though.

You could potentially get this effect if you had an ultrasound sensor in each and every room, which is more like the premise in The Dark Knight, but that's a somewhat different proposition since it requires a lot of groundwork to make it feasible.

Well, the main premise is to protect my team - so presumably, my team is in there and I'm helping out. 
The two players we always have (we play at conventions) is my wife and I, and her character is a spec ops.  She can usually get things in a lot of places unseen.

And also for Michael's post - a rigger with a team of micro-sized drones also would work really well :)

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #8 on: <08-22-19/2138:50> »
+1 for the Rigger drone spotter idea. Ten or so Fly-Spys moving through the vents in a building could get some good coverage. The Rigger could even be the sniper (what a twist!)

The only problem I could see is that ultrasound won't tell you friend from foe, or security from civilian.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #9 on: <08-22-19/2225:05> »
Well, if your decker friend send you live positions based on Trace Icon or tags on their commlinks. Or simply ask your teammates before shooting. Communicate!
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <08-23-19/0220:09> »
I've had a Decker Trace an entire gang and they got shot through the floor and walls by the team. A runner saw a mob guy shrug off a gel round like it literally did nothing and called for the sniper, who used the shared sight to fire through two walls. And I myself used cameras to snipe through a street corner and not expose myself. It's fun.  8)