NEWS

Quick question on background count in Gone Long Gone

• 4 Replies

runarm

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« on: <01-29-15/1618:55> »
In season 5 mission 3, the background count for the toxic shaman's lair is 1, or 2, depending on where in the lair you are. However, this is supposed to be inside the radiation zone (even if only slightly) and the general background count of the CZ is supposed to be 2 - so one would figure it should go up, not down or stay in place As writted, I would just go with the background count as listed in the mission, but somehow it seems to make more sense to me to add those background counts to the base 2, for a total of 3/4. Of course, that might just be too much and hose mages/adepts too badly.
How have other GMs been playing this?

R.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #1 on: <01-29-15/1622:43> »
I just went with 1 / 2, as written.  That dude is a beast if you run it right.

I could see arguments for it being 1 or 2 in addition to the normal BG Count or even having it be aspected in the boss's favor.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #2 on: <01-29-15/1748:37> »
The normal CZ background count is not aspected to anyone.  It probably should be written as a mana ebb (p. 32, Street Grimoire) because it's an aftereffect of the place being flooded with FAB back in the day.  In that case, it would be -2.

In the shaman's lair, the background count is aspected toward him, which makes it a domain (pp. 30-31, Street Grimoire) of 2.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #3 on: <01-29-15/2234:22> »
I approved it as written by the author under the assumption that the building had been cleansed or whatever at some point.

2 is the default, and usually it will be higher, but there are places that it will be lower as well.  You can imagine that anyplace mages are working regularly, they'll have had the local domain cleansed and/or re-aspected toward them.

runarm

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-30-15/0153:01> »
That makes sense Bull. Thanks :)

R.