NEWS

If the Barrett 121 isn't bad enough for you...

• 34 Replies

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <07-09-13/1411:32> »
I did  :P

It's pretty, though.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <07-09-13/1819:52> »
Too bad one of the major complaints about it was broken collarbones.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <07-09-13/1841:05> »
I believe it.  That's probably why the Anzio has a muzzle brake that appears to be roughly the size of a toaster.
Although if you watch the videos of it being fired, the guys still moves back about a foot every time he pulls the trigger...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #18 on: <07-09-13/2148:16> »
There's a lot of Anti-Tank Rifles from that era, which would eventually become Anti-Material Rifles of modern day.  The US, however, was smart...  "Why use a bolt-action rifle when we can just put it into a machine gun?"  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <07-12-13/1628:30> »
There's a lot of Anti-Tank Rifles from that era, which would eventually become Anti-Material Rifles of modern day.  The US, however, was smart...  "Why use a bolt-action rifle when we can just put it into a machine gun?"  ;D

I observe with no small amount of national pride that this is a very American sentiment.

"Well, we've made a man-portable gun that can shoot basketball-sized holes in an armored vehicle.  What now?"

"MORE DAKKA!!!!!!"

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <07-12-13/1635:15> »

I observe with no small amount of national pride that this is a very American sentiment.

"Well, we've made a man-portable gun that can shoot basketball-sized holes in an armored vehicle.  What now?"

"MORE DAKKA!!!!!!"
UMM, fifty cal machine gun isn't man portable out side of GI Joe.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <07-12-13/1711:12> »

The United States Marine Corps would like to have a word with you about this.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <07-12-13/1753:07> »
Trolls would like to have a word with you about this.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Tzeentch

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <07-12-13/1826:55> »
Citation needed.

(If you're thinking of the M82 or M107 it's not a machinegun  8) .)

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-12-13/2029:09> »
http://www.marines.com/operating-forces/equipment/weapons/50-cal-machine-gun

Note the entry about the M3 tripod. The MOS is 0331, the breakdown is (IIRC) one man gets the receiver, one man gets the barrels, and one man gets the tripod.
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Tzeentch

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <07-12-13/2324:25> »
Ah. I thought you were implying that Marines lug them around like assault cannons :)

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #26 on: <07-12-13/2352:31> »
Ah. I thought you were implying that Marines lug them around like assault cannons :)
I thought they did! :P
I heard some rumors about power armor that would let people do that, but as far as I know it's still in prototype and they were having problems powering it.
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <07-13-13/0042:06> »
Ah. I thought you were implying that Marines lug them around like assault cannons

No sir. The part of the statement I wanted to refute was about being man-portable. Nothing more, nothing less.
Power corrupts.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-13-13/0536:01> »

The bit about GI Joe should have been quite obvious hint that i used "man portable" in the sense that one man carries and shoots the gun by himself.

Obviously anything that can be broken down to pieces small enought   for a single man to carry is man portable in general sense.
« Last Edit: <07-13-13/0539:00> by Mäx »
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Tzeentch

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <07-13-13/1451:53> »
I heard some rumors about power armor that would let people do that, but as far as I know it's still in prototype and they were having problems powering it.
You're probably thinking of the HULC lower body exoskeleton. One idea was to install a pintle mount to the frame that could hold a heavy weapon but I suspect that's just a "yeah, you could do it ... BUT ..." And the problem isn't powering it per se. It's keeping it powered in the field for 8-24 hours without everyone needing to carry so many batteries that you cancel the load carriage provided by the exoskeleton.

As Shadowrun doesn't really deal with equipment weight, such items are a bit of an edge case, mechanically. Such a mount would count as a mobile tripod (SR5, p. 433) and it would have its own carrying capacity (SR5, p. 420) and hmm.. That's about it.