NEWS

Lolsy Missions Build

• 52 Replies

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <08-13-20/1739:17> »
Fun build that made me lol. Currently has krime stinger grenades, which can be replaced with stun grenades if for some reason they do not become legal. Also should be a minotaur instead of troll when they become legal for that extra +1 body.

Fat Larry

Priorities:
Attributes A (24 points)
Metatype B (Troll, 11 points)
Skills C (20 points)
Magic D (Adept, 1 Magic)
Resources E (8,000Y)

Attributes:
Body 10 (14)
Agility 1
Reaction 1
Strength 1
Willpower 6
Logic 5
Intuition 6
Charisma 4

Edge 5
Essence 4.17
Magic 4

Derived Attributes:
Composure: 10
Judge Intentions: 12
Memory: 11
Initiative/Actions: 7 + 1d6/1 Major, 2 Minor
Condition Monitor (P/S): 19/11
Defense Rating: 19
Defense Test: 15
Damage Resistance Test: 14 (w/all incoming DV -5; reduce damage taken after test by 1, minimum 1)
Movement: 8/11/+1

Skills:
Athletics 7 ( 8 ) (Archery +2)
Con 5
Influence 5 (Negotiation +2)
Perception 3

Qualities:
Aptitude (Athletics), -12 Karma
Built Tough 4, -8 Karma w/free levels
Dermal Deposits, free
Exceptional Attribute (Body), -12 Karma
Exceptional Attribute (Intuition), -12 Karma
Exceptional Attribute (Willpower), -12 Karma
Thermographic Vision, free

Allergy (Soy, Extreme), +20 Karma
Stolen Gear, +20 Karma

Adept Powers:
Combat Sense 8

Ware: (Essence -1.83, 73,150Y)
Bone Density Augmentation (Alphaware; Essence -0.96, 26,400Y)
Cyberlimb Hand (Obvious, Left) (Used; Essence -0.275, 11,000Y)
   Accessories: Attribute Increase (Agility) 3
Cyberlimb Hand (Obvious, Right) (Used; Essence -0.275, 11,000Y)
   Accessories: Attribute Increase (Agility) 3
Platelet Factories (Used; Essence -0.22, 9,350Y)
Reflex Recorder (Athletics) (Essence -0.1, 15,400Y)

Gear: (42,294Y)
Jazz x20 (1,650Y)
Psyche x20 (4,400Y)
Commlink, Tansys Avalon (8,800Y)
Credstick, gold (110Y)
Earbuds (275Y)
   Enhancements: Single Sensor (Ultrasound)
Fake SIN, rating 6 (16,500Y)
   Armor License, rating 6 (1,320Y)
   Bow Hunting License, rating 6 (1,320Y)
   Grenade License, rating 6 (1,320Y)
   Skilled Trade License (Pharmacist, Drugs and Toxins), rating 6 (1,320Y)
   Weapon Modification License, rating 6 (1,320Y)
Goggles, rating 6 (3,960Y)
   Enhancements: Flare Compensation, Low-Light Vision, Smartlink, Ultrasound Link,
   Vision Magnification

Armor: (63,250Y)
Securetech Invisi-Shield Armor (27,500Y)
   Accessories: Mystic Weave 2
Security Armor (35,750Y)
   Modifications: GelWeave 4

Weapons: (15,433Y)
Collapsible Heavy Crossbow (10,483Y)
   Accessories: Laser Sight, Tactical Sling
   Modificiations: Internal Smartgun System, Nanoconstruction, Personalized Grip
Injection Bolt w/dose of Nacrojet x20 (2,200Y)
Krime Stinger Grenade x20 (2,750Y)

13,873Y left to buy temporary lifestyle before switch to high, real food during, tweak list, and carry into play

Combat:
Collapsible Crossbow (w/20 injection bolts filled with Nacroject) [15 dice + Wild Die to hit, Bow, DV 4P plus Nacroject,
         7/15/8/6/-]
20 x Krime Stinger Grenades [DV 16S/12S/8S, Blast 20m, 2/1/0/-/-]

+40 negative Qualities

-56 Positive Qualities
-20 Nuyen
-5 Athletics Specialization
-5 Influence Specialization

4 remaining

Design Note:
If you play with GMs whom do not allow cyber hand stats to work for pulling triggers of ranged weapons, that's cool. It wouldn't often help anyhow. Drop both of them and use essence vacuum and remaining nuyen for Toxin Extractor. The build is stronger with that option anyhow.

Build Features:
So security armor with GelWeave provides you an amazing -5 vs. all incoming DV. Unfortunately, when GelWeave is used for this purpose it reduces your Agility, Reaction, and Movement by several points for 3 full rounds after the last hit. When one of those is reduce to 0, you gain the Immobilized status. . .which humorously enough does not prevent you from making Dodge Tests, it just eliminates your ability to add Reaction to that test.

So we compensate for that by expecting to get Immobilized, totally dumping Agility and Reaction, but buying a ludicrous amount of Combat Sense to still be able to dodge well. With an automatic -5 off the DV of incoming attacks and 14 soak dice, even grenades start to look less imposing.

While Immobilized, you're going to have 0 Agility and a further -3 on all attack rolls, which currently leaves this with a mediocre 8 (1 wild) dice for the bow, and 5 dice for the grenades. Make liberal use of Edge to manipulate that Wild Die to max value. Rolled a 1? Spend an Edge to re-roll it. Rolled a 4? Spend 2 Edge to turn it into a 5 worth 3 hits.

Late game, your Combat Sense will be so high that pretty much any attack that allows a Defense Test is going to miss, so the nemesis inflicting Immobilized will only be explosives and indirect combat spells typically. You're attack pools will also be substantially higher even when Immobilized, so the penalty will be less impactful.

You're going to start every Mission down 4 P and S CM, due to Stolen Gear. As for the S portion of that, you can flat out buy it off after an hour of game time, so it is essentially negligible the majority of the time. Being down 4 P still leaves you with 15, which is plenty due to how much incoming DV you reduce. It will also be fully healed after an evenings rest, which happens in a good 50% or more of Missions.

Finally, it also works decently as a back up face, and drugs drugs drugs! If you are not on Jazz and Psyche at all times, it's being done wrong, and Fat Larry is a little less jolly!

Advancement Path:
A full Missions season (12 SRMs, 8 CMPs, 2 PMs) will net ballpark around 150 karma and 264,000Y, before adjustments for Working for the Man or People. We'll also be down 90,000Y to maintain that High Lifestyle for maximum amusement, and to avoid soy food at all costs! Fat Larry only eats real meats (tm), son!

Use 130 Karma to get to Magic 6, Initiate Grade 6, and buy Improved Ability (Athletics) 3 and Combat Sense 18. Use another 10 Karma for Athletics Expertise (Bows) and Specialization (Throwing). A little Working for the People should be able to get you enough leftover Karma to raise Athletics to 8.

Money is pretty much a straight shot in either an armorer or decker contact to find you a suit of Heavy MilSpec with GelWeave 4 and Tough Weave 2. The armor alone will run you 77,000Y, before factoring in what you have to spend on Contacts to locate it. Once you have it, use Edge for the same Wild Die manipulation for your soak. Get that 5 worth 3 hits when needed, or re-roll that 1 to most likely prevent loss of your other 5's.

If any karma/yen remain, focusing on small qi foci boosts will be the most bang for the buck, but I wanted to relying on those as the primary power source due to how easy they are to shut down currently.

Once done, and while Immobilized, you will have 24 defense dice (lol while stuck to the ground), and reduce all incoming DV by a massive -9 (3 from Heavy MilSpec, 4 from GelWeave, 2 from Tough Weave) before you even factor in your 14 soak dice and reducing anything that actually gets through by 1 (min 1) from platelet factories. Your crossbow attack will have 12 dice + wild (20 while not Immobilized, which should be most of the time now), and grenades 11 dice (19 while not Immobilized).

Personality:
Fat Larry is incredibly fat and extremely jolly. He's always laughing, even at his own misfortune. Whether it is a good outlook on life or faking it to make it, not even Larry is sure!

Fat Larry has a devestating allergy to soy, which almost all food is made of, so he has worked hard to attain a lifestyle that allows him to eat actual real food. Despite his lifestyle, his pad is not particularly impressive, due to the oppressive costs of having a personal chef with real food on hand at all times. Lucky for you though, Fat Larry loves to share!

Fat Larry also routinely shows up to every meet and gathering with an assortment of bruises, most often a black eye, noticeable limp, and two pieces of tissue stuffed up each bloodied nostril. Man those guys really want their stuff back, but that won't stop Fat Larry from leaving the house and enjoying life! Besides, he already ate those truffles. . .

You could easily tweak the build to be even more combat hyperspecialized, but the main thing to avoid is melee stuff, since you are going to spend a lot of early career Immobilized. The main weaknesses are direct combat spells (because your resistance pool is only so-so, and they do not have a DV value, it's just eat damage), manipulation spells (again, so-so resistance pool), toxins (but they fuck everyone currently), and explosives (again, fuck everyone currently).
« Last Edit: <08-15-20/1957:37> by Lormyr »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-13-20/1804:25> »
Neat, and yes lulzy.

Potential problem: I don't know how often you'll get to wear that fancy schmancy gelweave armor.  Sometimes, sure.  But also certainly, far from all the time.

Bigger problem: Only your hands are AGI 5... I don't think there's a GM in existence who would buy the argument that you don't use your arms while shooting a weapon/crossbow.  And your arms are AGI 1, which means your AGI for the attack would be 1.

Which segues into a pedantic point... your AGI is not 1 (5).  It's AGI 1.  You have no AGI bonuses that I can see, other than the cyberhands which have their own AGI of 5.

Edit: Actually, another pedantic but important point... given your allergy.
With resources E and Stolen gear it's a mechanical impossibility to have High Lifestyle.  With Stolen gear, ALL your money you gain via karma must be spent on gear, bioware, and/or cyberware.  That means you have your resources pick to buy lifestyle... and in your case 8,000 is all you have to spread around on non-gear.
« Last Edit: <08-13-20/1832:15> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-13-20/1841:42> »
Potential problem: I don't know how often you'll get to wear that fancy schmancy gelweave armor.  Sometimes, sure.  But also certainly, far from all the time.

Totally. But if my experiences from playing and running every Chicago Mission holds true, with team support, you can get away with it far more often than not. Between concealment, physical mask, improved invisibility, matrix tampering, social rolls, bribes, and just keeping it in the trunk until go time most of our locals got away with their MilSpec the vast majority of the time.

It also helps that the security armor itself is legal, just the weave isnt. How obvious is it? Hard to say since the book doesn't define it well, but it might possibly offer some concealability advantage.

Bigger problem: Only your hands are AGI 5... I don't think there's a GM in existence who would buy the argument that you don't use your arms while shooting a weapon/crossbow.  And your arms are AGI 1, which means your AGI for the attack would be 1.

Most of our locals have let that go. Even if not, it really makes next to no difference, since you will spend the substantial portion of your combat existence at a hard 0. I only fully optimized this version by about 75%, so made some situational and luxury choices instead of just hard murder.

Which segues into a pedantic point... your AGI is not 1 (5).  It's AGI 1.  You have no AGI bonuses that I can see, other than the cyberhands which have their own AGI of 5.

Yeah. Just laziness on my part.

Edit: Actually, another pedantic but important point... given your allergy.

With resources E and Stolen gear it's a mechanical impossibility to have High Lifestyle.  With Stolen gear, ALL your money you gain via karma must be spent on gear, bioware, and/or cyberware.  That means you have your resources pick to buy lifestyle... and in your case 8,000 is all you have to spread around on non-gear.

You know I actually straight overlooked that minor nuance. No big to the overall build, you just come in at middle and immediately upgrade to high. Very minor impact overall. IMO it would be a very vindictive GM that wouldn't let you get buy 1 session with enough real food to get by on a Middle Lifestyle. If all else fails, just actually pay for real food with carry over nuyen.

I also forgot to account for the Troll tax, but there is plenty of nuyen left to shuffle around that it will work out fine.
« Last Edit: <08-13-20/1855:38> by Lormyr »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-13-20/1924:32> »
When I had read through the section I didn't notice they hadn't put in the limit of the max ranks in a power is equal to your magic.  Its not even late game when this dude will be almost impossible to hit. Sigh, like I think a lot of the powers are over costed by a large amount but when you leave an opening it just leads to gimmicking the system to get by which then gets ridiculous.

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #4 on: <08-13-20/1934:08> »

Fat Larry will starve to death in the first month, sadly... ;)

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-13-20/1944:19> »
When I had read through the section I didn't notice they hadn't put in the limit of the max ranks in a power is equal to your magic.  Its not even late game when this dude will be almost impossible to hit. Sigh, like I think a lot of the powers are over costed by a large amount but when you leave an opening it just leads to gimmicking the system to get by which then gets ridiculous.

There is an argument that since Combat Sense gives bonuses to "defensive" tests, that means resistance tests against spells is not getting that bonus.  I'm not sure if I completely embrace that interpretation because there's no such thing as a "defensive" test, technically speaking.  So it must be an imprecise/descriptive label,  which is ammunition against the "you roll RESISTANCE vs spells!" argument.  But otoh, surely combat sense isn't supposed to help you resist being conned/influenced.  So.. maybe spells too, since you don't make a defense test vs spells?

So... if you play stupid word games, a GM may give you stupid prizes ;)

But yes, I agree what does/doesn't combat sense work on is an absolutely valid nomination for clarification... and its already in the pipeline now :D
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-13-20/1959:58> »

I had to double take many times to make sure I didn't miss the old limitation anywhere. SSDR and I talked about this a few days ago. Most powers currently printed have their own inherent limit (like attribute and skill augments), but notably combat sense and critical strike currently stack as high as you care to put your resources into them.

To be fair though, a hitty adept can potentially outpace a dodgy adept depending on builds due to infinite level weapon foci. Favor remains with dodgy build though.

Lol, he's too fat to starve! Personally I don't think any reasonable GM would have a problem with high lifestyle covering meals appropriately, but even with a small food tax on top the build is worth mechanically.

"HAHAHAHA! Hello my skinny human friends! Welcome to Fat Larry's backyard barbeque! I put the Jazz in the jerk chicken, friends!".

There is an argument that since Combat Sense gives bonuses to "defensive" tests, that means resistance tests against spells is not getting that bonus.  I'm not sure if I completely embrace that interpretation because there's no such thing as a "defensive" test, technically speaking.  So it must be an imprecise/descriptive label,  which is ammunition against the "you roll RESISTANCE vs spells!" argument.  But otoh, surely combat sense isn't supposed to help you resist being conned/influenced.  So.. maybe spells too, since you don't make a defense test vs spells?

But yes, I agree what does/doesn't combat sense work on is an absolutely valid nomination for clarification... and its already in the pipeline now :D

I believe the only reasonable way to read combat sense is allowing it to apply to an attack you can physically dodge. So unarmed attacks, weapon attacks, and indirect combat spells (certainly not direct), but nothing else.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-13-20/2009:55> »
For whatever reason... direct and indirect spells resolve in ways completely unlike prior editions.  I'm completely unsure what the intent is supposed to be on the issue of "dodging" spells.  Non-combat spells, like control actions? Levitate? Probably shouldn't get combat sense vs those, but I don't see any way to treat manipulations differently than combat spells.

Regardless, certain spells will still work by just attacking Larry's gear instead of him.  I'm not levitating/fireballing YOU, I'm going after your armor.  I'll just roll against the Object resistance....

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-13-20/2010:50> »

I had to double take many times to make sure I didn't miss the old limitation anywhere. SSDR and I talked about this a few days ago. Most powers currently printed have their own inherent limit (like attribute and skill augments), but notably combat sense and critical strike currently stack as high as you care to put your resources into them.

To be fair though, a hitty adept can potentially outpace a dodgy adept depending on builds due to infinite level weapon foci. Favor remains with dodgy build though.

Lol, he's too fat to starve! Personally I don't think any reasonable GM would have a problem with high lifestyle covering meals appropriately, but even with a small food tax on top the build is worth mechanically.

"HAHAHAHA! Hello my skinny human friends! Welcome to Fat Larry's backyard barbeque! I put the Jazz in the jerk chicken, friends!".

I believe the only reasonable way to read combat sense is allowing it to apply to an attack you can physically dodge. So unarmed attacks, weapon attacks, and indirect combat spells (certainly not direct), but nothing else.

Yeah I think the term is edition blindness. I get that a lot with 6e. I am so used to how things worked I missed that it wasn't there. I had assumed max combat sense 4 on your build, you'd have to bump magic to get it higher, which would really slow it down. Probably take multiple seasons to get absurd.

And while yeah I assume that is the intent of combat sense, only working for standard reaction+intuition defense tests I honestly don't know if that is how its written as unfortunately this edition doesn't clarify those things.

Also yeah, I can't conceive of a GM not letting you buy food directly.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-13-20/2012:40> »
And while yeah I assume that is the intent of combat sense, only working for standard reaction+intuition defense tests I honestly don't know if that is how its written as unfortunately this edition doesn't clarify those things.

I think that's probably the intent.  And if so, it'd rule out spells. Neither Direct nor Indirect spells are resisted with REA+INT in this edition.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-13-20/2014:54> »

I think that's probably the intent.  And if so, it'd rule out spells. Neither Direct nor Indirect spells are resisted with REA+INT in this edition.

Yeah, it tripped me out when I read it. Both the stats chooses for indirect and neither is phrased as a defense test but as resisted by or vs. I was trying to figure out if the lack meant both were defense tests or neither.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-13-20/2020:50> »
I count 7 Qualities total.  I would think adding two levels of Built Tough counts as a Quality?  Or did I miss a FAQ?  Easy/minor fix.

And can I say Stolen Gear giving both Karma and Nuyen is flat out nuts?  Give up two Quality slots for Built Tough 4 and Stolen Gear 20, $200,000 Nuyen and 4 Bonus Karma for 4 Stun Boxes and a wash on your Physical Condition Monitor.  And potentially if someone tosses a heal your way, you're up 4 Physical Boxes.

And as there is no restrictions on healing that damage, toss a medkit at your boo-boo, hit up the mage for a heal, maybe try out some first aid...Pssh.  Even if the GM has you getting jumped on the way to the meet you're likely fine before the legwork is over.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #12 on: <08-13-20/2026:44> »
I count 7 Qualities total.  I would think adding two levels of Built Tough counts as a Quality?  Or did I miss a FAQ?  Easy/minor fix.

Gray area, but legal as far as I can tell. Also essentially negligible to the overall effectiveness of the build. The core elements are crystal clear legal.

And as there is no restrictions on healing that damage, toss a medkit at your boo-boo, hit up the mage for a heal, maybe try out some first aid...Pssh.  Even if the GM has you getting jumped on the way to the meet you're likely fine before the legwork is over.

The FAQ does state the damage from the quality can only heal naturally. So full rest for the P portion, and hour of chillin for the S portion. I am legitimately tickled about the mental image of this unflappably jolly troll showing up to every meeting totally battered but loudly laughing everything off despite the trauma he obviously endured.

"No no my friends, I will be fine! *blows blood out of his nose and inserts tissue* Besides! Those poor bastards will NEVER get those truffles back, bwa hahahaha! Now, let's go get paid to commit some crimes!".

On any other build it would be a legitimate downside, I just looped around it with system mastery. Toot my own horn a little there. :p

Yeah, it tripped me out when I read it. Both the stats chooses for indirect and neither is phrased as a defense test but as resisted by or vs. I was trying to figure out if the lack meant both were defense tests or neither.

Well I personally believe that since indirect spells have a point of origin away from you, and travel to you visibly for impact (exactly like firearms) it makes complete sense to allow combat sense to work on those. Pretty much only those though, unless there are a few outlier spells that function similarly.

I also agree with Shinobi that some of the defensive pool choices for spells are utterly nonsensical. Like direct spells using intuition instead of body. To quote the great Penllawen "Lol you wot m8?".
« Last Edit: <08-13-20/2039:17> by Lormyr »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-13-20/2028:09> »

And can I say Stolen Gear giving both Karma and Nuyen is flat out nuts?  Give up two Quality slots for Built Tough 4 and Stolen Gear 20, $200,000 Nuyen and 4 Bonus Karma for 4 Stun Boxes and a wash on your Physical Condition Monitor.  And potentially if someone tosses a heal your way, you're up 4 Physical Boxes.

Multiple levels for the same purchased quality only count as one, I honestly had not thought of how that interacts with free qualities with levels. I think I'd assumed that would count as a quality, but now I am not sure.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #14 on: <08-13-20/2037:23> »
Regardless, certain spells will still work by just attacking Larry's gear instead of him.  I'm not levitating/fireballing YOU, I'm going after your armor.  I'll just roll against the Object resistance....

Yeah, see that is the thing. This build is stupid, but still little more than a fly to be swatted away by a simple traditional mage. It would be really hard to wear down with damage, but throw some nacrojet, a control thoughts or actions, levitate, or any number of other things will neuter or defeat it. It's just fun a legitimate "tank" build in a system that wasn't supposed to support that anymore.

The more min-maxed version of the build would be using toxin extractors to help with the toxin problem, among other things.

Of all the power changes that happened the loss of a useful magic resistance for countering casters upset me the most.
« Last Edit: <08-13-20/2042:32> by Lormyr »