NEWS

Technomancer Talk (and build)

• 6 Replies

dmetzkayak

• Newb
« on: <01-07-20/1642:10> »
I love the idea of riggers, but I am a little disappointed in the playability of them in 6.

I decided to make a technomancy rigger (drone), as a response to one of the past posts, and also to see if I could build one that would empower the raw preciseness, I image a machine embody in 2080. Please let me know what you think. Is it you understanding of the rules the Emulate Complex form is used through a Remote-Control Rig, as the combination of the two can be lethal, and begin to bring back the viability of drone riggers?

The concept of this character is to use the complex form Emulate to provide remote controlled drones with a dice pool of 16 plus. As your character grows, she/he can continue to add drones, all with will have 16 plus dice in perception, Electronic warfare, evasion (defense tests), athletics, stealth and attack dice.

The apocalyptic build for this would be 18 Nissan Samurai drones with assault rifles all being remote controlled through a control rig, resulting in each Technomancer control action, to net 18 sets of 16 attack dice. It is difficult to hit the drones as 16 dice on a defense test is solid. The drones would also be able to infiltrate and perceive threats on par with the best threats.

This is the only viable drone rigger build I have seen in 6e thus far. It is also a little OP, so check with your GM before playing. Also, consideration of how to get them transported to the run would also have to be made. Ironically only one such drone would be needed to tip the scales in combat for most entry level runs.

Neo
METATYPE: DWARF
 3,  5,  4,  2,  6,  7 (10),  5,  4, EDG 1,  5, ESS 5.3
Initiative/Actions: 9+1D6/1 Major, 2 Minor
Condition Monitor (P/S): 10/11
Defense Rating: 6

Active Skills: Biotech 5 (First Aid +2), Electronics 5, Engineering 5, Perception 1, Tasking 6 (Compiling +2)
Knowledge Skills: Aerospace Technology, Automobile Models, Espionage Techniques, Hacker Groups, Security Systems, Tech Companies, Weapons Manufacturers
Languages: English (Native)
Qualities: Exceptional (Logic), Focused Concentration (3), Honorbound (Bushido), Impaired (4) (Strength), In Debt (Principal 40,000¥, Interest 4,000¥), Incompetent (Con), Thermographic Vision, Toxin Resistance
Complex Forms: Emulate (Clearsight) (7), Emulate (Electronic Warfare) (7), Emulate (Evasion) (7), Emulate (Nissan Samurai Maneuvering) (7), Emulate (Nissan Samurai Stealth) (7), Emulate (Targeting (AK-97)) (7)
Contacts: Fixer (C4/L4), Mechanic (C4/L4), Mr. Johnson (C4/L4)
Augmentations:
   Cerebral Booster (3)
   Sleep Regulator
Vehicles:
   Nissan Samurai [Handling 3/4, Accel 10, Spd Int 10, Tp Spd 30, Body 6, Armor 6, Pilot 3, Sensor 2]
      Gear:
         Rigger Interface
Gear:
   Antidote Patch x5
   Armor Clothing
      Chemical Protection (1)
      Cold Resistance (1)
      Electricity Resistance (1)
      Fire Resistance (1)
   Biomonitor
   Chemical Protection (1)
   Cold Resistance (1)
   Electricity Resistance (1)
   Fire Resistance (1)
   Gas Mask
   Grease w/ Fake License (6), Fake License (6), Fake License (6), Fake License (6), Fake SIN (6), (1 month) Middle Lifestyle
   Helmet w/ Flare Compensation, Image Link, Low-Light Vision, Ultrasound Link
   Medkit (6)
   Medkit Supplies x5
   Meta Link
   Satellite Link
   Shop, Engineering
   Stealth Tags x10
   Stim Patch (6) x5
   Tool Kit, Engineering
   Transys Eidolon
   Trauma Patch x5
Starting Nuyen: 3,245¥

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Shadowrun © 2005-2019 The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of The Topps Company, Inc.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-07-20/1752:29> »
You'll want more Edge for Hacking.  7 Sustains isn't trivial to pull off, much less (18 times 7) 126?  That'll be a neat trick.

Shadowrunner that can't lie is a tough sled, I'd talk that over with the team.

Analytical Mind Positive Quality is highly recommended. 

Unless your team has another Hacker you're going to have a tough time sustaining 7 CFs while doing Matrix stuff.  You'll have to pick and choose what your Killer Robot is good at if you're doing matrix things.

Don't forget your Machine Sprites buffing your Drone.

dmetzkayak

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-07-20/1827:00> »
Hi Hobbes

Thank you for the recommendations. Analytical mind would be a perfect quality to add, and the build has about 25 karma left to spend.

To answer the question as to how the technomancer would sustaining the complex forms for the drones. She/he uses the quality Concentration 3 to negate the sustaining modifiers for three complex forms.

Since drones would only ever need to use 3 skills in one round, the technomancer would not suffer from sustaining penalties.
While infiltrating:  Manuevering, Clearsight, Sneaking.
While in combat: Evasion, targeting, and either maneuvering or clearsight.

The Remote control rig allows for up to 18 (rating level 6 rigs) drones to benefit from the same autosoft(s) using a single command from the technomancer.

Tkeela

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-11-20/1053:36> »
Technomancer creation question(s)

I'm looking to create a Technomancer priority D resonance (1)….and priority E race, Elf (1) to raise resonance to 2
I want to purchase skillwire/jack, cerebral booster and wired reflexes 1 for 2.8 essence....
My question is does resonance sit at 0 from essence loss to raise postgen to unlock the persona and linked skills? Or does it sit at -1 and am permantly doomed or something?

Ie. a face with a basic meat space competency that can build techno post gen?

Thank you:))

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-11-20/1116:09> »
Officially, that question still awaits clarification.

IMO, it's very sleazy to start with low Magic/Resonance, load up on augmentations, and then expect rebuild the stat from 0.  Since this edition doesn't say you become a mundane and lose all magic/resonance forever when you hit 0 in that stat, as a GM I'd adjudicate that there's no artificial basement at 0.  If you drive your magic/resonance to negative values, then you still have to raise your attribute that many more times to hit a positive value.  I'd call the cost for doing so the absolute value of the move you're making.  Example: going from -2 to -1 costs 10 karma, derived from the cost of going from 1 to 2.

YMMV.
« Last Edit: <02-11-20/1118:40> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-11-20/1123:04> »
Well IF I had my way (which I didn't since it got left out ... at least for now)... you're doomed. Once you hit zero you're burned out.

You would be better off dropping that wired reflexes until later and yse drugs for now for the speed bump until you can get that resonance up.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-11-20/1323:41> »
Eh.  5E "Burn out" was when Max Resonance (or Magic) hit 0, so low priority Resonance, get Augments, buy up with Karma was more efficient.  It's just how does your GM want to do the bookeeping.  In the end you're not saving all that much Karma for most builds.

If the GM wants you to do it in a different order increase your Metatype priority and bump up your Resonance with Benefit points first, then get your Augments.  You're just shuffling stuff from Column A to Column B, the end result isn't much different.  Instead of spending Karma on Resonance you're spending Karma on Nuyen, Skills, or Attributes. 

The end builds are slightly different, and one is a little better.  But we're talking about a couple points in an off stat or slightly better starting Nuyen or a couple extra tertiary skills.  Your Hacking Pools and main shtick will be identical.  Most of your Shadowrunner basic skills will also have the same dice pools.  You'll still have a Fake SIN, crappy lifestyle, and Moped that TMs tend to have.

Ask your GM.  Do the thing they say.  Carry on.