NEWS

SR6 Adepts

• 77 Replies

Arkas

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <10-14-19/2010:20> »
Yeah in that line lies the rub. It contradicts chargen. And they deliberately nerfed chargen to encourage higher priorities in Magic in chargen, so it probably overrides somehow.

However I still do not quite see how it actually does motivate higher priorities in Magic during gen. It feels more like who ever wrote this WANTS Adepts to take higher priority in Magic, but only ends up punishing Adepts for the author not providing actual incentives to do so. The way I see it, it sucks to take Magic A or B, it sucks somewhat less t take Magic c or d but it still sucks. You can put Adjustment Points into Magic, but as it stands, you regret it if you do. Sorry it just seems wrong in so many ways.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <10-15-19/0044:53> »
Completely agree there. So I'm watchin' and waitin' for errata. :-\
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

jacx7

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <10-24-19/1117:52> »
Just got the german CRB in my hands.

GCRB p.158 states you only gain PP when raising the magic attribute with karma. Always, whilst creation and after but only with karma.

edit:
GCRB p.160 says the same for Mystic Adepts: 'Jedes Mal, wenn ein Magieradept sein Magieattribut mit Karma steigert, erhält er auch einen kostenlosen Kraftpunkt'
freely translated: 'Every time a Mystic Adept raises his magic attribute with karma, he also gains a free Power Point.'

Seems out of balance imo :o
« Last Edit: <10-24-19/1125:56> by jacx7 »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <10-24-19/1200:08> »
Whelp, if I go to Spiel, I think I'll skip Pegasus and only check out CGL's booth. :-\

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <10-24-19/1224:58> »
Yeah, Mystic Adepts don't need every single advantage Adepts get.  IMO rather a big mistake to allow them to get PPs just as fast- there'll be no reason to play an Adept instead of a MysAd.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Arkas

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <10-24-19/2023:29> »
Yeah, Mystic Adepts don't need every single advantage Adepts get.  IMO rather a big mistake to allow them to get PPs just as fast- there'll be no reason to play an Adept instead of a MysAd.

That was my first thought as well, but MysAds can't take the Metamagic PP, right? That would be a clear advantage on the Adept side. As for MysAdept getting PP when they raise Magic with Karma, I am torn. For me the question arises, is Astral Projection (which is undoubtedly cool) good enough of an incentive for Mages not to go MysAdept. However the thing about MysAds is not Pegasus specific.

Adepts getting PP using Karma during char-gen, is good and well in my opinion. It is other things that do not work out here, as has been discussed in this thread an others.

Michael, since we are best buddies now ( ;) no offense, some humor though). What exactly is it about Pegasus and not CGL that is offending you? I mean CGL did not exactly deliver a good product to begin with and I am not referring to the approach the rules are taking (that one I see as mostly positive).
« Last Edit: <10-24-19/2033:07> by Arkas »

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <10-24-19/2051:27> »
MysAds can choose the PP from initiation. It's supposed to be the only way they get them (other than temporary increase from Qi Foci of course).

Having to allocate initiation to PPs is also supposed to be what helps keep MysAds from eating mages' lunches.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Arkas

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <10-24-19/2136:34> »
Well one way or the other, MysAds probably should only be able to do one of those two options. Magic via Karma is certainly the more expensive one. Having to make the choice between other Metamagics an PP certainly is a trade off as well, only am I not quite decided on how heavy weights.

Then again the PP Metamagic says "Adepts only", and in SR5 that did also include MysAd. now that I think of it. And if that is true, there is barely a reason not to go MysAd. In that case they could just forgo splitting Mage and Adept all together an only have the MysAd.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #23 on: <10-25-19/0402:36> »
Michael, since we are best buddies now ( ;) no offense, some humor though). What exactly is it about Pegasus and not CGL that is offending you? I mean CGL did not exactly deliver a good product to begin with and I am not referring to the approach the rules are taking (that one I see as mostly positive).
That their 'errata' are at best judgement calls from fans, which shows in some of their mistakes, yet they're occasionally treated as gospel by people. Hopefully CGL errata will come soon so that's all taken care of.

In SR5, an Adept's advantage was getting PP from Magic increases, whereas a Mystic would simply boost their magician abilities with it. But I did have a lot of Mystics despite the downsides. Now the strict chargen makes them even tougher at the start, which I do like since it makes the choice more painful. But until we get errata, no idea how it turns out.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #24 on: <10-25-19/0808:41> »
That their 'errata' are at best judgement calls from fans, which shows in some of their mistakes, yet they're occasionally treated as gospel by people.
OK, that's definitely CGL, but what about Pegasus though?

Arkas

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <10-25-19/1802:21> »
That their 'errata' are at best judgement calls from fans...

Not as far as I am told (for what ts worth). To my knowledge there is supposed to be communication about planned errata between CGL and Pegasus. However even if you were right on this one, it would have been what saved a lot of SR5 for me (and a lot of others). Best Judgement calls are being made in translation and layout though, which very well served to clarify things in the past. An important though in all of this would be about what state the source is in, that you have to work with. In case of SR5 that was quite the mess, and to be honest, SR6 seems to have problems similar to SR5. So if you want to protest... maybe stay away from both booths ;)

In SR5, an Adept's advantage was getting PP from Magic increases, whereas a Mystic would simply boost their magician abilities with it. But I did have a lot of Mystics despite the downsides. Now the strict chargen makes them even tougher at the start, which I do like since it makes the choice more painful. But until we get errata, no idea how it turns out.

Yeah waiting eagerly for this one. It certainly would be good to put some limits on the MysAd, but the Adept should not have to suffer for it. The latter is exactly what is happening as far as I am concerned.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #26 on: <10-25-19/1811:54> »
So if you want to protest... maybe stay away from both booths ;)
Even as a joke, the suggestion that I'd be that much of an asshole really pisses me off.

Leith

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <10-25-19/2319:25> »
The chargen rules actually don't state that you can't get extre PP at creation. They do imply that you can't get them from adjustment points, but then the book just says to go look in the magic chapter. With the german text available, the intent seems clearer.
« Last Edit: <10-25-19/2327:24> by Leith »

Helzmasher

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <02-11-20/0701:17> »
I've done some tinkering with character sheets yesterday and I don't see why people say "if mysad is as powerful as physad, people will never choose physad" ...
If you have the same amount of points to allocate into different stuff, the less stuff you choose to put the points into the better your character will be at that thing.
The simple fact that mysads have to divide their points into stuff already make them weaker in a way (less min-maxed) you don't need to nerf them beyond that.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <02-11-20/0852:17> »
The chargen rules actually don't state that you can't get extre PP at creation. They do imply that you can't get them from adjustment points, but then the book just says to go look in the magic chapter. With the german text available, the intent seems clearer.

The January reprinting of the CRB makes it clear: Adepts have PPs equal to Magic, just the same as after chargen.  OTOH Mystic Adepts cannot gain PPs during chargen even if they raise their Magic, but they can lose them due to essence hits.