NEWS

Ignite

• 17 Replies

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #15 on: <01-18-11/0608:31> »
I see the points you're making.  I viewed the scenario as having the same effect as something in the realm of Thermite on metal, the heat and duration would be right with very localized effects.  This whole scenario seems to be all open to interpretation to the GM unless we can figure out a way to Mythbuster it...

I hadn't honestly thought to compare it to Thermite, that's not a bad idea, really.

And yeah, just like most tabletop questions, it comes down GM interpretation. Which, honestly, I often prefer to there being a definitive, clearly defined rule that allows for little or no deviation. Yes, it's nice when fundamental rules are clean and easily understood, but once you get past "how skills/attributes work" and "how to build a dice pool", a system with intentional room for interpretation tends to lead to more satisfying games, provided the GM is creative and has a spine. The spine part is so the players don't run roughshod with every crazy idea they come up with.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Morg

« Reply #16 on: <01-18-11/2344:00> »
However, we're talking about a fire that would dissipate in under 3 seconds by a strict reading of the rules and a little common sense. Even if the metal is at its combustion point, for that short amount of time, you're not going to see a heck of a lot of effect. And annealing is a convenient term used not only by metallurgists for a precise heat treatment of metal, but by engineers of all stripes and laymen, to describe visible changes in a metal alloy as a result of heat effects.

And in a game, regardless of terminology, my point is that a GM that's paying attention won't "go with it" when his players try starting 1800 degree fires with a simple, low drain, spell. Let them use the spell to weaken the metal prior to the application of explosives? Sure, why not. Start a long-burning fire equivalent to a furnace that'll take out the building, everything around it, and leave a molten slag? Nah, probably not.

I see the points you're making.  I viewed the scenario as having the same effect as something in the realm of Thermite on metal, the heat and duration would be right with very localized effects.  This whole scenario seems to be all open to interpretation to the GM unless we can figure out a way to Mythbuster it...

Remember that most heavy construction material is Plasteel and Plastacrete in the 6th world and as we don't know the property's of the specific plastic homogeneous mixtures it would be Impossible to Mythbuster it  :-[

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #17 on: <01-19-11/0026:55> »
Remember that most heavy construction material is Plasteel and Plastacrete in the 6th world and as we don't know the property's of the specific plastic homogeneous mixtures it would be Impossible to Mythbuster it  :-[
You are correct, but for the materials that are still metal, or metal hybrids, the conversation still stands.  Even then there's some component of the conversation that holds up for unknowns, like side effects though they wouldn't be as extreme in some materials...