NEWS

Levitation and Recoil

• 12 Replies

joe15552

• Omae
« on: <01-13-11/1203:49> »
So, I levitated a rigger's drone with my mage in a game, and the thought crossed my mind... What would happen if that drone started firing? Of course, this issue didn't come up in my game, so, any responses won't affect the play of the mentioned game.

If I was a gm, for simplicity's sake, I'd say that in order for the drone not to fly in the opposite direction of fire due to recoil, the force of the spell would have to be equal to the recoil caused by the weapon.

In the game I was playing, it was a force 3 levitate spell, so if that doberman let loose with full-auto fire with his SMG, he'd go flying all over the place, since the recoil would be 9. If it did a small burst, then it would be held by the levitate spell.

Now, I can already think of an exploit for this. Some crazy mage decides to cast levitate force 9 on himself (and levitate really doesn't have that high of a drain, at force 9, it would be 5DV)and starts going crazy with his full-auto. But, maybe that's balanced because that mage would take -2 to sustain the spell, since he'd be hard-pressed to find a force 9 sustaining foci.

The way the game mechanics work now, it looks like levitate would hold anything in place no matter what the recoil is. Is that right, or did I miss something?

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #1 on: <01-13-11/1332:50> »
Roll Forcex2 and apply hits to Recoil Compensation. That would be my call.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-13-11/2142:53> »
Kot, that sounds a bit more like the way game mechanics would go for Shadowrun. Your way, it almost sounds like an object resistance test. I might steal that rule.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #3 on: <01-14-11/0626:15> »
Roll Forcex2 and apply hits to Recoil Compensation. That would be my call.

I like this idea, it's simple and elegant. And gives mages a neat little "stand your ground" capability, casting the spell on the guy with the HMG.

Though, for my games, I might come up with a variant spell specifically for steadying people (provide recoil compensation, bonuses to knockdown, and similar such). Though, with the cost of learning a new spell, it'd have to do some fairly neat things.

Interesting thought, has anyone considered applying the "Damage > Body = Knockdown" to Recoil? As in, if uncompensated Recoil > Body = Knockdown. Probably wouldn't work, but my players and I have been frustrated that neither Body nor Strength are currently relavent to your ability to use massive weapons in high recoil situations. After all, a Troll should have an easier time with FA HMG than a pixie does...
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <01-14-11/0631:54> »
Well there are the advanced combat rules in the "More ways to die" section of Arsenal for determining recoil compensation from Strength.  Page 163.  Or is that not what you were talking about?

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #5 on: <01-14-11/0633:22> »
I just applied logic. In Urban Brawl my character tried to levitate a Hellhound, so Inca made me roll Forcex2 against the critter. I just noticed that would be the same situation - trying to control mass and momentum.
And i think that would count as an action, as controlling any sustained spell usually does.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #6 on: <01-14-11/0635:38> »
Well there are the advanced combat rules in the "More ways to die" section of Arsenal for determining recoil compensation from Strength.  Page 163.  Or is that not what you were talking about?

Hrm... yeah, that could work. Only problem with it is it's in the book I haven't had the time to pour over for information... Heh, too many shadowrun books to read, too little time.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-14-11/0639:08> »
Specifically:

Quote from: p. 163, Arsenal
A character with Strength of 6–9 has 1 point of recoil compensation, Strength 10–13 has 2 points, Strength 14–17 has 3 points, and Strength 18+ has 4 points.

Regarding the original question: Even at Force 1, a Levitate spell can keep a 200 kg object in the air. That's already more than the carrying capacity of the Strength 18+ character above. Therefore, I don't think it's a big stretch to say that recoil is insignificant compared to the spell's strength.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #8 on: <01-14-11/0748:49> »
Regarding the original question: Even at Force 1, a Levitate spell can keep a 200 kg object in the air. That's already more than the carrying capacity of the Strength 18+ character above. Therefore, I don't think it's a big stretch to say that recoil is insignificant compared to the spell's strength.
But that would mean Trolls on a F3 Levitate focus-sustained spells can dual-wield HMG's, or Panthers. I think the Fx2 roll keeps the balance.

Adrick

« Reply #9 on: <01-14-11/0811:42> »
Two other calls would be recoil moves you, but that would open the momentum effects levitation. Or two don't worry about it floating doesn't keep your barrel from rising or your arm from shaking.    if you want it to stabilize I would go with the force roll for game balance or count it as a stable platform equivalent to a tripod maybe if you don't want an extra roll.

That way its a nice trick but not the go to move

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-14-11/0926:32> »
Billy Club: I have been looking for that rule for so LONG! Thank you for finding it. It's hidden between throwing back grenade rules and indirect fire rules. I have no clue how you found it, but thank you.

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <01-17-11/0213:01> »
Billy Club: I have been looking for that rule for so LONG! Thank you for finding it. It's hidden between throwing back grenade rules and indirect fire rules. I have no clue how you found it, but thank you.
You are quite welcome.   ;D

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <01-18-11/1906:59> »
But that would mean Trolls on a F3 Levitate focus-sustained spells can dual-wield HMG's, or Panthers. I think the Fx2 roll keeps the balance.

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Levitation would help the troll steady the gun, but simply that it would steady the troll itself, so that it doesn't go floating backwards. To steady the gun itself, you'd need to Levitate it individually, and in that case I'd just give the full Strength modifier (RC 4), not cumulative with the wielder's Strength.