NEWS

Simrigs, Fighting and Magic Question

• 19 Replies

Evo

• Newb
« on: <01-06-11/0858:28> »
I'm considering getting a Simrig (worn version) for my Adept.  He likes to fight in illegal cage matches and recording the fights could be an easy way to make some extra cash, plus he's a bit arrogant and prideful.

First of all, how likely do you think this would work in a fight without being cyberware?  Nanopaste would most likely be required for aesthetics as well as functionality, but how durable do you think the Simrig is? Does it even need to be worn or can it connect wirelessly to the Nanopaste (or something) from a safe distance? What would be required to do that?

Secondly, how would a Simrig record magic usage?  Does it?  Would someone "viewing" the events experience what it is like to use magic?  To feel it coursing through their veins? Or nothing strange at all?  I'm not just talking about an Adept's magic (although, I am very interested in that), but other magic as well.  Spells, shapeshifting, etc.

Thanks

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-06-11/0919:42> »
My recollection is that the simrig can't record anything magical.  Of course, it can record the feeling of hitting a dude super-hard, or displaying more technical skills than any human could ever hope for, or supernatural grace.  But not the actual magic use.  Likewise it could probably record the sensations and experience of being an animal, but that would be a very niche market.

Check out the armoured casings from Unwired for details of how to protect your simrig!  Isn't there an adept ability where you can conceal an item?  Bear in mind that you'll need a commlink active for the simrig and trodes to work together nicely.

You'd definitely need nanopaste trodes, or trodes of some kind, at least.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

jayhawk1106

« Reply #2 on: <01-06-11/0948:09> »
Yeah, as far as I understand it, magic cannot be recorded.  But yeah, like halo said, it can record your character beating the holy heck out of the other guy.   ;D

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-06-11/1013:03> »
Any Physical Spell like flamethrower would be recorded because its a real effect caused by mana weaving.Similarly some illusion spells can be recorded, like trid phantasm, it says in the spell description if it can.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-06-11/1106:14> »
Sure, but you can't record how it feels to actually cast a spell; all the simrig would get you would be the feeling of heat (maybe) and any emotions you experienced as a result of casting the spell.  And any drain you experienced too, I guess.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

Evo

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-06-11/1316:43> »
Thanks a bunch.

On the magic side, if it could record anything magical I'm sure Mages would be using it for training purposes.  Probably do anyway.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-06-11/1942:15> »
FYI, you can get trodes installed in a helmet. Sturdy and non-garish.

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-07-11/1246:20> »
You can safely bet that the fight ring sells recording of the combat they organize too. Since what happened in the fight and your opponent's look are in your own record, by matching that against their own they can rather easily pinpoint who you are. So I hope you plan on negociating a deal with them, because I don't think they would take kindly to seomeone undercutting them on that part of their own money-making scheme

Pissing people who probably know who you are, how to contact you, have a decent idea of your abilities and skill level, have access to a decent-sized pool of peoples used to violence and of similar if not higher lethality than yourself and a blatant disregard for law and the generally accepted morality is a bad idea...

Evo

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <01-07-11/1808:00> »
Well, that will just make for some fun story hooks, won't it? ;D

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-10-11/0738:29> »
While entering in a pitfight only to find you are going against an opponent who has been handpicked to not only be much more skilled than yourself but also to have abilities that negates your strong points and capitalize on any weakness you may have and proceed to beat you to a pulp as an object lesson to whomever else would want to play smart with them is the kind of plot hook likely to comes up, but I'm not sure it will be much fun for your character.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-10-11/0936:24> »
I don't think most people are interested in whether their character is having fun, so long as they are having fun...
Joe Rooney

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #11 on: <01-10-11/1033:46> »
"You have caused me nothing but pain." - Jack Slater to Arnold Schwarzenegger

-k

Evo

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <01-10-11/1430:22> »
Some of the better fights of my characters ended poorly for them, but almost always fun for me.

But even if my character is unable to get away with selling his own simcordings, he'll at least use them for review and strategies for his next fight. Plus, there is that whole vanity thing of showing people what it is like to be you.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-10-11/1458:05> »
@Dahrken: One-sided fights like that seem unlikely. People get upset when it happens in real-life boxing and MMA. They want to see a tough, hard-won fight. There may be a favorite that they really want to win, but if the fighter just crushes somebody the fans don't feel like they've got their money's worth. It's bad for the betting too.

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <01-10-11/1525:32> »
If it is sold as a fight, yes. If it is sold as a kind of one-sided, christians-vs-lions bloody mess the public get exactly what they expects and cheers.