NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

acolyte99

« Reply #615 on: <09-19-13/0834:13> »
(yes, I always assumed, that when using astral perception I always use Assensing for perception, not only when I analyse an aura. I've just checked the Assensing skill description (page 142)  and the paragraph about Astral Perception (page 312) and I see that may have been wrong. Interesting, that JackVII has just found this quote, that explicitly uses Assensing for percepting hidden things.
Assensing is probably only for auras, nor for "seeing" in general in astral space (except by RAW also for percepting hidden things). So all spirits having Perception would be ok, even if they couldn't see the physical world like humans do).

But the question is still there, why do some spirits have Enhanced Senses they don't have the basic sense for and in addition
What is meant by the sentence right before the quote JackVII wrote before:
page 301, SR5
The spirit is dual-natured while it’s materialized, which means it exists simultaneously on the physical and astral plane, meaning it can see objects in both places

The emphasised part makes no sense, if the spirit can only use astral perception. The only instance how there could be a difference in astral perception between being physical and being astral would be, if there was a mana barrier between me and the objects that was cast in astral space. Then I couldn't see the physical objects behind the barrier from my astral point of view, but I could see them from my physical point of view. But this is such an improbable case, that I don't think that this sentence was formulated for this one thing.

Normally I would assume, that this sentence does express, that a spirit can simultaneously astral percept and see physically like a human does.
But that is expressively contradicted in the next sentence.
So
Question: can a materialized spirit see like a normal human can?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #616 on: <09-19-13/1209:06> »
To access and interact with Virtual Reality you need Direct Neural Interface (DNI) and a sim-module.
You can access and interact with Augmented Reality (AR) if you have an Image Link (in an imaging device or in eyes/cybereyes).

Q Do you need sim-module to access and interact with AR if you have DNI (and no Image Link)?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #617 on: <09-20-13/0608:59> »
Ages ago I asked in the FAQ if you can trade in Simple Actions during your Action Phase for Free Actions. The answer is "yes, page 164". D'oh. -_-

This is assuming "A character may also take a Free Action with the two Simple Actions" means "You can use a Simple Action for a Free Action" rather than a complicated way in an incorrect manner of repeating what has already been stated repeatedly in the rules, namely that you get 1 Free Action per Action Phase.
« Last Edit: <09-20-13/0637:21> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #618 on: <09-20-13/1604:45> »
Q Can a slaved device use both the mental attribute and the matrix attribute from a master device when defending against a matrix attack.

martinchaen

« Reply #619 on: <09-20-13/1842:56> »
And in a related thread:

Q. Can a device that is wirelessly slaved to another device use the Device Rating of it's master to determine Noise modifiers and whether or not Wireless functionality is temporarily lost?
Q: Can a device be connected to another device through a Universal Data Cable as per "Direct Connections"  on page 231 and still be considered "connected to the Matrix", as long as both devices have wireless functionality enabled and are not suffering from positive noise modifiers (i.e. disconnected)?

MagusRogue

• Newb
« Reply #620 on: <09-20-13/1849:30> »
Not sure if this has been noted already or not, but this really needs to go to the Devs. No where in the book does it outright state if damage overflows either Condition Monitor that you go unconscious. It's only mentioned in some merits and the like. This needs to be directly mentioned on pg 170 as an absolute when a condition monitor overflows (in addition to other stuff). This put a GRINDING halt in our combat and ran it into the ground until I pulled up the pdf and did a search for Unconscious........... Really really needs fixed here.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #621 on: <09-20-13/1856:15> »
I first posted that in the errata topic 2 months ago.

MagusRogue

• Newb
« Reply #622 on: <09-20-13/2138:57> »
lol well then my apologies. my search foo isn't the best in the world.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #623 on: <09-21-13/0522:01> »
The search function is a pain to use so I tend to just grab the print versions of the FAQ and Errata topics and search in those. :)

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #624 on: <09-21-13/0723:18> »
The Mindlink spell says
The subject must remain
within range of the magician for the Mindlink to work.
does this mean within arms reach or actually touching or something else?

(edit)
can't believe I missed this
The standard range of the sense a Detection
spell grants is the spell’s Force x caster’s Magic in
meters as a radius from the target of the spell
« Last Edit: <09-21-13/0728:08> by T-Hatchet »

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #625 on: <09-21-13/1145:21> »
is it correctly understood that a character with the quality "natural immunity 10 jazz" can take a dose of jazz and gain its benefits of increased reaction and initiative dice, but not suffer addiction? as the quality makes the character immune to all ill effects (unless he ODs), but benefits are unaffected. Or does it only make him ignore automatic stun damage from cram, nitro and so on? with the relevant quality ofcourse.
« Last Edit: <09-21-13/1305:18> by DigitalZombie »

Lynx

• Newb
« Reply #626 on: <09-21-13/1419:51> »
What are IC statistics, I understand the host rating, but what about for willpower or logic ?

What about IC intuition for initiative ?

What about condition monitors ?
« Last Edit: <09-21-13/1426:50> by Lynx »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #627 on: <09-21-13/1539:24> »
IC use the Device Rating for attributes.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #628 on: <09-22-13/0358:09> »
Q.What about Indirect AOE Combat Spells like Blast? The example has some gangers rolling dodge

Also no. Which example are you looking at?

Q At Char Gen can you buy a Custom Cyberlimb that has Attributes OVER your current natural Rating, without using Enhancements. (An Elf With AGI 4 buying a Custom Limb with AGI 6)

Yes.

Q What happens when you roll under 3 hits on an AOE Indirect combat spell but still more hits then the defender (if they can defend). Does this all ways make the damage to resist drop to Force?

You miss by a certain distance. 2D6 meters, if I remember. There is no defender roll; it's a Success Test.

Did you read the spoiler...? :)

Yes. The modifier is an error leftover from SR4.

If this is really true(?!) then we need an errata to correct the following:
1) clarification on p.181 that defenders does not get to roll dodge in step 3 of the combat sequence on p.173
2) table on p.477 is wrong
3) combat spell rules on p.283 regarding indirect aoe spells are wrong
4) example on p.283 is wrong
5) table on p.189 is wrong
6) damage and passengers on p.205 need clarification
7) defender modification on p.190 is wrong

That looks like a familiar set of errata. If you can hold on until after Gen Con, you'll get a more official answer, but until then it's only us lowly freelancers that have any time to offer help.

It also make grenades really really powerful.

Dealing more damage than a sniper rifle (even before confined space mods) and all you only need is 3 hits (not net hits) on your throw to always land and detonate the grenade within 1m of your target.

Indeed, grenades are dangerous weapons. The modern grenade is advertised with a five-meter kill radius and a casualty radius of fifteen meters. Although you're not factoring in range penalties, which come up a lot for all but the strongest throwers.

So - did we ever get any clarification from Gen Con... Did players get to take a defense test [of some sort] against grenades and indirect LOS (A) spells?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #629 on: <09-22-13/0552:22> »
On GenCon, yes, though it likely was houserules. The witness statement can be found elsewhere on this forum and I quoted it in one debate.