NEWS

Dunkelzahn and Hestaby

• 127 Replies

Malathis

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <08-08-13/1019:15> »
As far as Big D's death ritual causing a spike, I think the type of magic he used (even though it was a type of blood magic) didn't cause the same kind of mana spike that the ghost dance and azzies do. Big D had many titles that he claimed, and from what I remember about old magic is that names have power, so becoming president might have been the power he needed.

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #31 on: <08-08-13/1102:12> »
Not the lease among those names was his position within dragon society. At the time (and for a LONG time before) he was their Loremaster, which is basically as close to a 'leader' as they get. Title went to Lofwyr next, and then he passed it on to Celedyr, who is Loremaster at start of SR5.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #32 on: <08-08-13/1417:57> »
Yeah, that's something that is touched on when dealing with free spirits and alluded to in his will (and a couple other places), but Names have power. In the 4th world, Names had a lot of power, even for normal people. And note that there was a difference between a name and a Name. A name was just something you called someone. A Name was a representation of who or what they were, and was linked to their Pattern. Name and Pattern magic was a big thing in the 4th world, and something I'd like to see brought back in the 6th.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Maddoux1

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <08-08-13/1432:25> »
I thought the primary purpose of his death was actually to drop the magic level in the world?  Ghost Dance brought it back prematurely, Dunklezahn ices himself (or allowed it to happen) to drop it back down, then the comet brings it back to where it should be.

Malathis

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <08-09-13/1246:57> »
I thought the primary purpose of his death was actually to drop the magic level in the world?  Ghost Dance brought it back prematurely, Dunklezahn ices himself (or allowed it to happen) to drop it back down, then the comet brings it back to where it should be.

The comet was a temporary spike in mana levels, not a permanant boost to them. That spike likely wasn't all that large either as some of the things that happened durring that year continue to happen (changelings), while the "spike" that Dunklezahn sacraficed himself to eliminate was a more localize rise in mana levels. The best annalogy I can come up with at the moment would  be a body of water representing mana levels, the comet raising that level a couple hundred feet over the whole thing, but then receding leaving an extra ten feet of water. While the spike that Dunklezahn wanted to eliminate would be more like a geyser shooting a small area up a couple of hundred miles.

Maddoux1

• Chummer
« Reply #35 on: <08-09-13/1315:05> »
Hmmm, I got into SR in 4th ed, so what I got to read in history was a very abridged version.  Was it the comet that brought the changelings and windl - pixies back?

Malathis

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <08-09-13/1518:26> »
The comet is when changelings started showing up, alot to start and less frequently after it passed but it does happen, I think pixies have always been around just somewhat recently been made into playable charachters, along with alot of the other variants.

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <08-10-13/0006:42> »
As far as I can recall, "pixies" were already around by Paranormal Animals of Europe, well before Year of the Comet.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <08-10-13/0233:25> »
Yes, as fae.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <08-12-13/0210:49> »
Hestaby's been around for a long time, just not mentioned terribly often. She's essentially the big stick that keeps the border between the Tir and the California Free State from erupting into warfare (again). She was known for being a pretty kickin' mage, even by Dragon standards, and the Shasta region that she lived in was a major power line access point. You can see her post in older books as Orange Queen (The Shasta region grows oranges, you see), where she puts her good sense of humor to work whapping Harlequin on a regular basis. After Dunk died, she stepped up as the limelight dragon, happy to talk to the media and to start doing good PR work, talking against racism, promoting the 'lesser races' and so on. There's some discussion about how much of this she really believes in and how much is a show.

Her situation got pretty bad lately when she called out Sirrurg on international television and supported his being drug before the UN for a war crimes tribunal. This, and generally flying in the face of Lofwyr, got her set against ol' Golden Snout during te recent Dragon War and, well, she lost. As punishment, she was stripped of her horde, her followers were killed (The ones that could be found, at least), and she was banished from her Shasta lair. She's probably banished from her other (known) lairs as well.

This has given rise to a running joke that she's hitchhiking through California, going to Burning Man, surfing, competing in Hackey-Sack tournaments, and so on. In non-joke time, her activities post-banishment are unknown.

IKerensky

• Newb
« Reply #40 on: <08-12-13/0324:11> »
Now that Lowfyr have won, I think SK will start his new line of barbecue sauce flavored shower gel.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #41 on: <08-12-13/0527:13> »
I thought he was a Ketchup man.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #42 on: <08-15-13/0637:41> »
The nasty part is that she actually helped with actions against Alamais, without which Lofwyr would likely have had taken longer fighting him, yet she got zero gratitude from him. The dragons didn't like someone who was on metahumanity's side, so they banished her despite her hard work against Alamais and the fact this move pretty much proves they (and with extension the 3(?) corps they run) consider us their enemy.

And with her gone, the clock for the Tir and CaliFree is ticking...
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #43 on: <08-15-13/0757:37> »
Well, out of the big 10, SK has Lofwyr, NeoNET has Celedyr, MCT has Yakuza which means Ryumyo, Wuxing has Triads which means Lung, and Aztechnology has the Smoking Mirror.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #44 on: <08-15-13/0801:48> »
And frag them all. I didn't count AzTech, by the way, because they have nothing to do with the Loremaster. SK and NeoNet, on the other hand...

Besides, the new Loremaster is the guy who managed to unleash the Sybil virus on us. Thank you very much, jerkweed!
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!