• 92 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #45 on: <08-26-11/1555:49> »
Johnny Mnemonic? *runs for his life*
The closest we've seen.

They need to stop hiring Keanu Reeves to do these jobs.  It's like the executives (You know, the idiots who couldn't figure out how to make movies, so they manage the money instead?) go, "Oh, it's a Cyberpunk movie.  Find out if that Canadian guy that was in Bill and Ted is available."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #46 on: <08-27-11/2043:55> »
Reeves' acting was actually pretty damn good in Johnny Mnemonic.

[spoiler]Come to think of it, why doesn't Shadowrun have Hacker Dolphins?[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <11-21-11/2300:02> by Red Canti »
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #47 on: <08-27-11/2217:01> »
Reeves is not an actor.  Actors take on roles.  He just recites lines.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #48 on: <08-27-11/2219:08> »
Reeves' acting was actually pretty damn good in Johnny Mnemonic.

[spoiler]Come to think of it, why doesn't Shadowrun have Hacker Dolphins?[/spoiler]
Emergent Critters.
SR now officially has Lolcats . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #49 on: <08-27-11/2224:52> »
Actually, there are Technomancer Dolphins.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #50 on: <08-28-11/1147:16> »
Seaworld must be a riot.
« Last Edit: <11-21-11/2300:25> by Red Canti »
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #51 on: <08-28-11/1152:24> »
Yeah, what with the Dolphins hung from Lampposts with "MONSTER" carved into them.   :o

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #52 on: <08-28-11/1450:33> »
Hey hey hey, don't pull the Technomancer card for that. Those Dolphins were fucking killers.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I'm not saying I agree with Mob Justice, but something had to be done.
« Last Edit: <09-02-11/1240:34> by Red Canti »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #53 on: <08-28-11/1452:59> »
Those are wild Dolphins, RC.  The ones at SeaWorld aren't nearly as hostile or violent.

Well, as long as the snotty nosed little brats don't tap the glass *TOO* much.  The sonic vibrations can give you such a migraine!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #54 on: <08-28-11/2120:03> »
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression looks to be great Cyberpunk noir. Prositute is almost murdered, saved by a black clinic doc and turned into what's basically a cyber/bioed technomancer.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #55 on: <09-02-11/0204:10> »
I'll throw in my shadow run media list.
starting with live action stuff since most of the anime I'd mention has already been shared.  :P some classics omitted because I'm sure everyone here already knows them

Live free die hard (aka die hard 4) >the teams upon teams of shadow runner types, hackers, proxy hackers, wet-work/clean up crews, all good stuff.
District B13 french film with a lot of serious free running, basically set inside a z-zone in paris. a pretty serious "hooding" style plot.
The mechanic is a good wet work style shadow run-ish movie
Smoking aces a wet work SR gone nuts with a twist.
Conspiracy Theory/enemy of the state examples of how hardcore it could be to try and hide from people in SR at least to degree.
Hackers gets refenced a lot for the matrix types.
speaking of the matrix go for matrix 1.
All the Borne movies because jason borne would be an amazing shadow runner.
the italian job is a good not killing everyone SR movie just in the case of pulling complicated heists team composition and getting even.

That's all that comes to mind right now though, Enjoy ;D
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <09-02-11/1000:50> »
The Oceans movies, if you're looking at high profile targets.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #57 on: <09-03-11/0119:57> »
Maybe it is stretching it a bit, but I would also recommend HEAT. DeNiro's crew is a perfect team for a run, just in this case it's an old fasioned bank robbery. Their tactics could also be for just about any run. And Pachino's cop is a great example of Lone Star, KE, or any other law/power trying to stop them.

I also liked the heist in the beginning of Bad Boys, Beverly Hills Cop 2, and the Joker's robbery in The Dark Knight.

And while I'm on the subject of movies, anyone else think that Big Trouble in Little China could be the basis for a great run? Runner's love is kidnapped, a team is assembled and goes to rescure her from the evil wizard's (or in this case mage?) stronghold. I mean come on, with that knife move at the end, Jack Burton HAS to be some kind of adept along with his friend Wang. It has magic, gangs, and is just cool.

With one more thing....anyone else seen the trailer for Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and NOT think Shadowrun?
« Last Edit: <09-03-11/0122:46> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #58 on: <09-03-11/1224:25> »
And while I'm on the subject of movies, anyone else think that Big Trouble in Little China could be the basis for a great run? Runner's love is kidnapped, a team is assembled and goes to rescure her from the evil wizard's (or in this case mage?) stronghold. I mean come on, with that knife move at the end, Jack Burton HAS to be some kind of adept along with his friend Wang. It has magic, gangs, and is just cool.
This.  Idea.  Is.  Awesome.

With one more thing....anyone else seen the trailer for Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and NOT think Shadowrun?

Really.  It sort of looked Minority Report-ish to me for some reason (and not necessarily because of Tom Cruise), not that it's a bad thing.  Loved that movie.

Johnny Mnemonic? *runs for his life*

That's a very Shadowrun-esque movie, certainly.  It's one of the many references I always think of first when presenting the game to new people.

Speaking of SR movies... anyone seen Babylon AD?  Not a very good movie, I thought, but fun and entertaining and a solid SR reference, imo.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #59 on: <09-03-11/1649:17> »
Speaking of SR movies... anyone seen Babylon AD?  Not a very good movie, I thought, but fun and entertaining and a solid SR reference, imo.

Yep...actually didn't mind it - good call.

AJC