NEWS

Shadowrun-esque Anime and Movies?

• 92 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <08-25-11/1801:43> »
The shame is that I didn't even realize it.

Or maybe I just wanted a big, buff Elf that gets mistaken for a human constantly...  Not sure which...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #16 on: <08-25-11/1828:18> »
The shame is that I didn't even realize it.

I'm sure each one of us picks up ideas like that and then use them without realizing it's something off of another thing which really left us with a good impression.

I know it happens to me a whole lot!

Or maybe I just wanted a big, buff Elf that gets mistaken for a human constantly...  Not sure which...

Hahaha, cool.  A buff elf people mistake for a human.  Another one of those anti-stereotypical concepts.  Them's iz funz.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #17 on: <08-25-11/1854:03> »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

GrimWulf

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <08-25-11/1936:30> »
Durarara(Drrr) No pink mohawk or anything, set in tokyo with a supernatural killer whois possed by their sword, a modern day headless rider who's swapped their horse for a motorbike, a super strong (high pain tolerance 12) guy who likes to throw things, a mastermind who thinks he's better then anyone else, and others, overall very good watch.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex   No one had mentioned the series specifically, I found them to be better then the movies (2nd one for sure... 1st movie was much better than that though)
Battle Angel Alita
Appleseed
Paprika
Solty Rei

erp gotta run
enjoy these

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #19 on: <08-25-11/2024:43> »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armitage_III
This.
Very much this!

Yes!  I loved Armitage the Third!

Heck, I've got most of its OST in my IPod!

Durarara(Drrr) No pink mohawk or anything, set in tokyo with a supernatural killer whois possed by their sword, a modern day headless rider who's swapped their horse for a motorbike, a super strong (high pain tolerance 12) guy who likes to throw things, a mastermind who thinks he's better then anyone else, and others, overall very good watch.

Durarara!  Was awesome.  I wasn't expecting to like it, but I very much did.  I really dig the whole theme, the setting, and the characters.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex   No one had mentioned the series specifically, I found them to be better then the movies (2nd one for sure... 1st movie was much better than that though)
Battle Angel Alita
Appleseed
Paprika
Solty Rei

erp gotta run
enjoy these

Battle Angel Alita was something I was very much looking forward to seeing at the time, given that I was deep into the manga.  It's very awesome and very Shadowrun, imo --kind of Redmond Barrens, too.  Just with higher levels of tech.

Appleseed... Ugh.  Loved the manga (still do!), have yet to see a good version of it for Anime.  I've seen the first one, I've seen the one they made in 2004 -- the CGI one, don't recall the name off the top of my head.  Have yet to see Deus Ex, not sure if I should!

Not seen Paprika, nor Solty Rei.

Thanks for sharing!  I'll be sure to look 'em up soon-ishly.
« Last Edit: <08-26-11/0235:50> by Fallen »
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-25-11/2214:57> »
A couple of others you might want to consider:

Vexille
Golgo 13 (2008)

Summer Wars - very little "SR" related, but really cool visualization of the "matrix" and a rogue AI...a really good movie.

For me, Netflix has been a godsend for watching anime...

AJC

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #21 on: <08-25-11/2333:55> »
A couple of others you might want to consider:

Vexille
Golgo 13 (2008)

Summer Wars - very little "SR" related, but really cool visualization of the "matrix" and a rogue AI...a really good movie.

For me, Netflix has been a godsend for watching anime...

AJC

Golgo 13, the title looks familiar.

Never heard of Vexille, so I'll look it up!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #22 on: <08-25-11/2341:25> »
Golgo 13 was a manga for a long, long time and had an NES game as well.  Quite an adult series.  He's the world's most effective assassin.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #23 on: <08-25-11/2342:39> »
Golgo 13 was a manga for a long, long time and had an NES game as well.  Quite an adult series.  He's the world's most effective assassin.

Oh yeah.  I kind of, sort of remember it.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #24 on: <08-26-11/0140:06> »
Burst Angel. OK, its pure anime cheese...but its not all bad cheese. It's very much pink mohawk, but a lot of the elements reminded me of SR. The core group do "odd jobs" for one of the group members, who has ties to a chinese crime family. The lead character is a gun-slinging girl with a mysterious past, another is a computer wiz who is a great example of a SR-type hacker, and the plucky sidekick with a big gun. The setting looks a lot like what I imagine SR to look like in Tokyo/Japan. Take away the obligitory huge twin gun wielding mecha and its basically SR.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #25 on: <08-26-11/0235:12> »
Burst Angel. OK, its pure anime cheese...but its not all bad cheese. It's very much pink mohawk, but a lot of the elements reminded me of SR. The core group do "odd jobs" for one of the group members, who has ties to a chinese crime family. The lead character is a gun-slinging girl with a mysterious past, another is a computer wiz who is a great example of a SR-type hacker, and the plucky sidekick with a big gun. The setting looks a lot like what I imagine SR to look like in Tokyo/Japan. Take away the obligitory huge twin gun wielding mecha and its basically SR.

Hmm, know what?  It does look kinda cheesy.  However, considering that's never been anything keeping me from enjoying stuff, I might look it up over the weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion!

PS: I now haz a long list of new stuffs to look up and enjoy.  This is some w00tness.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #26 on: <08-26-11/0248:31> »
OK, sorry if this was already mentioned. Even though they're not anime or movie, or cyberpunk, nor magical, and take place in 2011; I would highly recommend the TV shows Burn Notice and Leverage. Both are quitiessencial shadowrun-type teams doing shadow-run type runs. Although, I think Burn Notice is a lot more fun, IMHO.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #27 on: <08-26-11/0351:24> »
OK, sorry if this was already mentioned. Even though they're not anime or movie, or cyberpunk, nor magical, and take place in 2011; I would highly recommend the TV shows Burn Notice and Leverage. Both are quitiessencial shadowrun-type teams doing shadow-run type runs. Although, I think Burn Notice is a lot more fun, IMHO.

Burn Notice happens to be one of my favorite series to watch.  :)

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #28 on: <08-26-11/0643:54> »
This.
Very much this!

i've got all of it on my streak 5 ^^
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #29 on: <08-26-11/0651:15> »
This.
Very much this!

i've got all of it on my streak 5 ^^

Awesome!

That anime is really good, and the music is just awesome.  Very Shadowrun, imo