NEWS

Can Spirits use Armor?

• 1 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« on: <11-10-13/1955:39> »
In our latest Missions setting, the Air spirit I'd summoned drove the vehicle I was in. That, and the fact that I might replace my Lined Coat with one that has Insulation, made me remember something I asked in the "Rules Clarifications and FAQ" topic 3 months back: can spirits wear armor? (The only response I got was another player saying what amounts to "please NO O,O it would be too powerful", which is a logical reaction, but doesn't really answer the question.)

To be more precise, there's three situations I'm curious about (all of them on a materialized spirit, of course): a spirit being attacked while in a vehicle ("adding the Armor of the vehicle to any personal armor the characters are wearing"), the Armor spell ("provides Armor equal to the hits scored and is cumulative with other armor"), and wearing actual personal armor ("A spirit’s physical form is metahuman-sized or smaller"; a materialized spirit "appears as a solid, physical version of its astral form—it’s relatively solid even if it doesn’t look solid").
Since I'll be participating in some Aethercon Missions this weekend (note to self: make a backup character in case mine dies - I hear they'll be dangerous), I decided to ask this in here, instead of the normal rules forum.

For each of the three categories, I've listed the possibilities I can think of:

Can a spirit wear armor, and if so, does it change their Armor rating?
  • They cannot wear armor, because ...
  • They can wear armor, but it does nothing for them.
  • They can wear armor, but it does nothing for them unless their Immunity to Normal Weapons is bypassed by a magical attack.
  • They can wear armor, but it does nothing for them unless their Immunity to Normal Weapons is bypassed by a magical attack or the attack's AP is greater than their Hardened Armor value (in which case the AP is still applied to the Armor from the armor itself).
  • They can wear armor, and it adds, but not for the purpose of determining whether the attack does any damage at all, and not for the purpose of determining how many free damage soak hits they get either.

Can you cast the Armor spell on a spirit?
  • No.
  • Yes, but it effectively does nothing.
  • Yes, but it does nothing for them unless their Immunity to Normal Weapons is bypassed by a magical attack.
  • Yes, but it does nothing for them unless their Immunity to Normal Weapons is bypassed by a magical attack or the attack's AP is greater than their Hardened Armor value (in which case the AP is still applied to the Armor from the spell).
  • Yes, and it adds, but not for the purpose of determining whether the attack does any damage at all, and not for the purpose of determining how many free damage soak hits they get either.

Does a spirit that's attacked while inside a vehicle add the vehicle's Armor to the Hardened Armor they get from their Immunity to Normal Weapons?
  • No.
  • The vehicle's Armor replaces their Hardened Armor if their Immunity to Normal Weapons is bypassed by a magical attack.
  • The vehicle's Armor replaces their Hardened Armor if their Immunity to Normal Weapons is bypassed by a magical attack or the attack's AP is greater than their Hardened Armor value (in which case the AP is still applied to the Armor from the vehicle).
  • Yes, but not for the purpose of determining whether the attack does any damage at all, and not for the purpose of determining how many free damage soak hits they get either.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-10-13/1959:12> »
For each of the three categories, I've listed the possibilities I can think of:

Can a spirit wear armor, and if so, does it change their Armor rating?
  • They cannot wear armor, because ...
nobody makes armor that fits spirits, especially since a spirit can come in any conceivable shape, from a bear to a swarm of bees to a living, swirling vortex of air. And even if armor existed, they would have to take however long (probably minutes) putting the armor on after they materialize, which would count as a service.

Can you cast the Armor spell on a spirit?
  • Yes, and it adds, but not for the purpose of determining whether the attack does any damage at all, and not for the purpose of determining how many free damage soak hits they get either.

Does a spirit that's attacked while inside a vehicle add the vehicle's Armor to the Hardened Armor they get from their Immunity to Normal Weapons?
  • Yes, but not for the purpose of determining whether the attack does any damage at all, and not for the purpose of determining how many free damage soak hits they get either.

This sounds about right to me.