NEWS

2019: 30th Anniversary Edition, or 6th Edition?

• 119 Replies

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #15 on: <07-17-18/1715:51> »
However, there is a licensing issue, as the Ponies are owned a different company. Appenrently it will be a bovine themed to keep a "pony like shape"....

The tag line with be:
SHADOWRUN: where magic, meets machine in Moo-derous fun!
As long as the rules are compatible with CattleTech...

You mean the game of Giant Stompy Cows?
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #16 on: <07-19-18/0552:11> »
However, there is a licensing issue, as the Ponies are owned a different company. Appenrently it will be a bovine themed to keep a "pony like shape"....

The tag line with be:
SHADOWRUN: where magic, meets machine in Moo-derous fun!
As long as the rules are compatible with CattleTech...
...I believe we recently ran into that on a farm outside of Columbus OH.  The bunnies there were literally "dynamite".
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <07-19-18/0914:57> »
I hope we get another 4 years out of fifth edition, at least.
If it unfucks the Matrix and gets TMs out of the cell with Bubba the Love Troll, I'm good with 6E dropping YESTERDAY.

Which can be done with Kill Code (although I have a baaaad feeling about that one  ::)) and a relentless balancing fix to the core rules, though. If it´s not just 20% of the latest errata and some pictures swapped, but an actual update to the rules, I´d love to see a 5E.

(Oh, and an update to the Archetypes would be fine!) 
« Last Edit: <07-19-18/0918:19> by Finstersang »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <08-04-18/2319:28> »
I'd prefer a 6E I think.  There are so many mechanical problems with it its past the point I want to house rule it.  No guarantee they would do better in a 6E, but I have a hard time running 5e without ignoring swaths of it.  Not a fan of the mechanics of Anarchy either, though at least its supposed to be more narrative so its rules are designed to be ignored more.

Edit to add, I kind of think they need a reboot of the setting.  a lot of recent products kind of go too far in tech/magic.
« Last Edit: <08-05-18/0000:58> by Shinobi Killfist »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #19 on: <08-05-18/0518:11> »
If it unfucks the Matrix and gets TMs out of the cell with Bubba the Love Troll, I'm good with 6E dropping YESTERDAY.

Which can be done with Kill Code (although I have a baaaad feeling about that one  ::))

I think the title has a meaning... and not the one people think.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

DragginSPADE

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <08-06-18/1930:00> »

Unlikely.  No edition of shadowrun has ever succeeded at unfucking the matrix.  And it's been one of the stated major design goals of at least one.  ;D

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #21 on: <08-06-18/1955:13> »
I think the title has a meaning... and not the one people think.

Yeah I had been considering that issue. Kill Code. For me I learned Kill Code as an added line into looped code structure in case you screwed up loop conditions and turned out to be infinite.

But I suspect that its not what they intend.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #22 on: <08-06-18/2033:28> »

Unlikely.  No edition of shadowrun has ever succeeded at unfucking the matrix.  And it's been one of the stated major design goals of at least one.  ;D
Admittedly, I've only played 4th and 5th, but I didn't think the matrix in 4th was all that bad. Certainly no worse than the astral for mages and spirits. There were issues, of course, but they were nowhere near the level of clusterfrag the 5e matrix was. Hell, the main concern of Hackers vs Technos was how TMs could get high-rating programs through threading, but most of those arguments were done in what I like to call 'arena-style' instead of 'campaign-style' builds. In other words, like those D&D arena fights where you take two builds that are uber-optimized for a single battle, and let them loose, as opposed to characters that are viable for a full campaign, when the down-side of taking Fading and Matrix damage directly to your brain becomes more pronounced.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #23 on: <08-06-18/2041:24> »

Admittedly, I've only played 4th and 5th, but I didn't think the matrix in 4th was all that bad. Certainly no worse than the astral for mages and spirits. There were issues, of course, but they were nowhere near the level of clusterfrag the 5e matrix was. Hell, the main concern of Hackers vs Technos was how TMs could get high-rating programs through threading, but most of those arguments were done in what I like to call 'arena-style' instead of 'campaign-style' builds. In other words, like those D&D arena fights where you take two builds that are uber-optimized for a single battle, and let them loose, as opposed to characters that are viable for a full campaign, when the down-side of taking Fading and Matrix damage directly to your brain becomes more pronounced.

Its a matter of perspective really.
The matrix from 4 to 5 is worse for some options, that is very true.
The matrix from 1-3 to 5 is a massive improvement by all measures!
I have talked about this before, so I won't repeat myself. But if you want to understand the difference, get your hands on an old 3e CRB and read up. Just have a dustbin close by to catch exploded grey matter...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

drjmoriarity@gmail.com

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <08-06-18/2120:30> »
Hopefully the next edition fixes alot of the problems with the game... i spent a month learning the rules, played the game with my group and they all were so frustrated with the combat and learning the rules that we all just moved the game over to hero system and used the shadowrun books as lore and econamy and equiptment and critter guide...

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <08-07-18/0047:44> »
Its a matter of perspective really.
The matrix from 4 to 5 is worse for some options, that is very true.
The matrix from 1-3 to 5 is a massive improvement by all measures!
I have talked about this before, so I won't repeat myself. But if you want to understand the difference, get your hands on an old 3e CRB and read up. Just have a dustbin close by to catch exploded grey matter...
Ssssssh... Making sense is forbidden around here!
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #26 on: <08-07-18/0200:19> »
Hopefully the next edition fixes alot of the problems with the game... i spent a month learning the rules, played the game with my group and they all were so frustrated with the combat and learning the rules that we all just moved the game over to hero system and used the shadowrun books as lore and econamy and equiptment and critter guide...

Despite the wishful thinking of several folks in this thread, 5th is here to stay, and will be with us for a good while to come.
If you swapped to heroes thinking you would avoid complexity you made a mistake lol.
Pools and limits are easy, just take the time get used to it. You will get used to formules very quickly.  5th SR is reasonably intuitive once you understand the logic of the system.

Compared the static and combat dominating nature of the heroes speed chart SR, is much more dynamic. At least everyone will get to go before your fastest player goes 3 more times lol.
« Last Edit: <08-07-18/0206:57> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

prophet42

• Newb
  • Financial Prognosticator
« Reply #27 on: <08-07-18/0246:06> »

Compared the static and combat dominating nature of the heroes speed chart SR, is much more dynamic. At least everyone will get to go before your fastest player goes 3 more times lol.

Speed 8 ftw, man. 
2-3, 5-6, 8-9, 11-12
If its not fun, then why are you doing it?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #28 on: <08-07-18/0813:38> »
Despite the wishful thinking of several folks in this thread, 5th is here to stay, and will be with us for a good while to come.
I give it another year, maybe two. That puts it right in line with most editions of the game for 'length of service'.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <08-07-18/1245:43> »

Good for you!

As long as you are having fun, that is all that matters.  And at least you can say you actually gave them a try.

Me, I'm still holding out hope for an edition of Shadowrun that is worth spending money on.  I've not paid into a franchise that had such a bad track record over multiple editions before.  I'm hoping 6th will fix that, whether is comes this year or five from now.