NEWS

Dwarf Street Sam, need tipps on build completion

• 4 Replies

Seras

• Chummer
« on: <10-08-18/1718:39> »
This is a character I am building for someone who is new to shadowrun. I told him his basic options and he went for Dwarf Fighter with tech skills. Bodytech, not an Adept.
He wanted an ex military, tech kinda guy.

We are also playing as legal hired muscle,bodyguards, detectives,security...that sort of thing, so no hidding in the shadows. Legal and Restricted gear only.

Attributes A, Race B, Money C, Skills D, Magic E

SIN: Allied german states
Technical improvisation

BOD 7(10)
AGI  4
REA  3
STR  6
WIL  6
LOG  4
INT   4
CHA  3
EDGE 5
ESS 3,9

Stun: 10 Boxes
Physical: 12 Boxes

Skills: Ground Vehicles 4, Small arms 6, Automatic weapons 4, Vehicle mechanic 6, Bare hands combat 2,

Bodytech: Datajack, Skilljack Level 4, Skillwires Level 4, Bonelacing Level 3, Smartlink and Zoom, retractable Claws

Gear: Taurus Omni, 2 Clips, Armoured VEST

We did a basic short run and the Food fight scenario and he stopped a baseball bat with his head  :). He likes the character so far.

I still have some money left and I am wondering on what to get him. I am also looking for ideas to flesh him out.

« Last Edit: <10-08-18/1739:55> by Seras »
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-09-18/1232:39> »
Right now he's mostly a tank. He can soak damage well but he's going to have difficulty dishing it out.

He doesn't have anything to boost his Initiative, unless he's on drugs and we don't know it. That limits how often he can act. Similarly, his Reaction and Intuition scores are middling.

His Agility is also middling so he's going to have a hard time connecting with an attack.

I'd shift some attribute points around. You probably don't need Body 7, as Body is mostly just for soaking up damage. Better to avoid it in the first place. Similarly, Willpower 5 is probably sufficient, and you might even be able to spare a point of Charisma if he's not going to be the type that talks much. How much melee is he doing? If the answer is "not much" then maybe drop a point of Strength too.

Here's your priority for boosting attributes: Agility first, Intuition second, Reaction third. Agility helps with sneaking and attacking, while Intuition helps with Perception, Initiative, and dodging, while Reaction is good for Initiative and dodging.

If you have money leftover, consider Wired Reflexes 1 and/or Reaction Enhancers. Muscle Replacement (cyberware) or Muscle Toner (bioware) would also be good investments. If you can't afford something that boosts Initiative, consider picking up a drug habit. His Body and Willpower scores will help him avoid addiction.

Leftover money has lots of uses: more guns, more ammo (different types), more armor (for different situations), more chips for your skillwires, more safehouses, more fake IDs, more more more. Trust me, the money will be gone before you know it.

Does he have any Qualities yet, positive or negative? If not, get qualities. Those go a long way to fleshing out a character.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-09-18/1318:02> »
5 EDG allows liberal usage of the Blitz initiative rule, and that can take the place of init augmentations for chargen.  If you can squeeze/move around the resources for a tricked out cyberarm, that in turn can get you around the low AGI for most combat purposes since his skills appear to say he fights all with one handed weapons.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #3 on: <10-09-18/1338:06> »
I think Tecumseh covered the big points well, and SSDR gave some other good options.  I'll just pick up on a few small things and some options to think about.

- There are some names that don't line up with the english 5th edition rules.  I'm guessing you are translating from German 5th edition? (if using an older edition, please tell us!)

- Bonelacing increases his unarmed combat damage and makes the damage physical (instead of stun).  I think this makes the claws not really needed, unless the player really wants them for flavour reasons.  But check the availability on bone-lacing 3; I don't have my books in front of me so I could remember this wrong, but I think the availability is 3xrating, and standard availability maximum at character creation is 12 --> max rating 2 at character creation.

- His unarmed combat is too low to hit very often at all right now (total dice pool of 6).  Generally skills that have an opposed dice pool (like combat skills)will tend to need at least 8 dice to even bother rolling most of the time.  He doesn't have a lot of skill points to work with, so it is a challenge.

- But, he has automotive mechanics 6.  This is a cool skill, but not one that will get used very often AND he has skillwires which could give him that skill at four when he needs it (as well as the other mechanical skills).  Would the player be willing to use skillwires for all of his mechanical skills, and then increase his unarmed combat and driving?

- Also he has small arms (Pistols skill in the english book) 6, and automatics 4.  Automatics covers everything from machine pistols to assault rifles, so he could probably survive with just that skill (taking it to 6) which would also free up skill points (could take unarmed combat up to 6 with just the savings from that).  Again it depends on what the player wants, and given the description of the game I could understand wanting pistols as a main skill.

- Edge is super useful for any character.  But it is a little bit less useful for characters running skillwires, as you can't use edge on rolls that depend on the skill wires.  Possibly look at the options if you were to drop Metatype (Dwarf) from B to C.  You could then either have a lot more money (to buy wired reflexes, etc), or if your game allows sum to ten you could go CAECC (attributes A, magic E, everything else C), which would give two skill group points and another half dozen skill points.  He has skillwires to cover a lot of things, but having some skill in stealth and etiquette, for when you don't have time to change which skill you are slotting, might be good.

- Don't forget to buy the skill chips he wants and needs!

- He should have a commlink.
« Last Edit: <10-09-18/1341:48> by Beta »

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <10-20-18/1544:46> »
Thanks for the feedback
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(