NEWS

[IC] Umbrae Europae (Chapter 2) - Running Coyote

• 358 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #240 on: <03-23-17/0515:05> »
[spoiler]
Are we surprised, or can we react before the root strikes?

If yes, Rex tries to protect the car with a mana barrier against the dual natured root

Ini: Ini: 10+1d6 12
Mana Barrier F8: 12d6t5 3
Drain resist: Drain resist: 21d6t5 5
1 Stun damage
[/spoiler]

Rex saw the strike coming, but without the improvement of his spells, he was just too slow. Even as the root descended he, tried to weave a powerful web of arcane energies to absorb the blow.
« Last Edit: <03-23-17/0700:32> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #241 on: <03-23-17/0554:15> »
[spoiler]
No surprise, let's roll initiative
Spirit initiative : Mohange animated Giant Roots Initiative: 2d6+18 26

So Rex will not set the barrier up before the giant roots attacks, but Waywaker can still try to dodge (-2d due to the road bad condition) and may act before the attack too.
[/spoiler]

Haywire

• Omae
« Reply #242 on: <03-23-17/1709:13> »

Waywalker sighed in relief when the road stopped trying to kill them.
He was not so surprised when a giant root tried to smash the van.
"I knew I should had stayed in bed this morning..."
"We do not need to kill it, only to pass! I'll have my drones distract it."

[spoiler]Initiative: 5d6+5 15
defense: 19d6t5 7
defense (post-Edge): 12d6t5 1
Drone initiative: 5d6+3 21
drone #1 suppressive fire: 9d6t5 3
drone #2 suppressive fire: 9d6t5 3
[/spoiler]

«Never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.»

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #243 on: <03-23-17/2011:12> »
Waywalker deploys his drones and order them to lay some serious suppressive fire, while attempting to dodge the roots attacks. Sadly, the later fails, and one of the giant roots stomps violently on the van...

[spoiler]
Attack: 19P, AP -9

Reminder:
As most vehicles are a bit less squishy than metahumans, they have a Condition Monitor equal to 12 plus half their Body (rounded up), they ignore Stun damage (though electricity-based attacks are considered Physical Damage to vehicles), and any attack where the modified DV does not exceed the Armor of the vehicle does nothing.

Animated giant roots resist the suppressive fire lay by Waywalker drone (#1]: 18d6t5 4
Animated giant roots resist the suppressive fire lay by Waywalker drone (#2]: 16d6t5 5
[/spoiler]

... but, on the bright side, even if they dodge most of the bullets, and does not appears suffer any damage, the roots does retreat under the heavy fire. However, as the tentacule-like construct retracts into the building's ruins, on, the border, of the road, a huge tree, which grew insanely, inside what used to be a fuel station, suddenly bends over the road, with all branches animating, like a giant vegetale squid trying to catch the van.

[spoiler]

2nd pass, Mohange's spirit goes on 16 and attempt to Engulf Waywalker vehicule (with a malus of -4d due to the vehicule speed and -2d due to the suppressive fire)

Large tree bends and tries to catch the van: 11d6t5 5

Darn! 5 hits on 11 dices - I am sorry guys, I'm rolling quite well today - but of course the attack needs to pass throuhg Rex's barrier first, if Waywalker can't dodge it.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <03-23-17/2324:59> by belaran »

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #244 on: <03-23-17/2323:49> »
[spoiler]
@Waywalker I just realized that, because you have only two passes, this pass needs to be your "control vehicule test" - unless you prefer to spend one point of edge ("Zen Control", see Rigger 5). Do also note that, as you are "bolting thru" the city as fast as possible, there is a (secret) threshold for this test (so one hit might not be enough), but (on the brigt side), the van will reach the end of city center (and hopefully the end of the area protected / control) by the spirit.
[/spoiler]

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #245 on: <03-24-17/0510:49> »
[spoiler]
Ouch. I hope the van has enough armor to not be crushed at once.

For the engulfing attack at least the barrier will provide a cushion, preventing the attack from actually reaching us, no matter if the shield holds or breaks (you have to waste an attack on the shield no matter what)

But since we are a moving target and the van is independent of Rex, the intersection rules are up, before the spirits second attack is resolved:

Toxic SpiritIntersection: 18d6t5 8
Rex' ShieldIntersection: 16d6t5 11

Boom, Motherfucker! The spirit's stun track is filled up completely!

Now let's just hope that Waywalker roles well for his van!

By the way: Defense tests don't need a separate action - they are included in the one control vehicle action per combat round. Also, there is full defense for vehicles if you have 10 ini to spare.

[/spoiler]

The strike against the car was murderously strong. Rex was glad that he had used the seat belt. But when the second attack came, his shield was ready, while the van moved forward, carried by it's momentum. Immovable object met unstoppable force - and unstoppable force won!
Rex howled in excitement as he felt his shield holding against the unbelievable powerful spirit.
talk think matrix

Haywire

• Omae
« Reply #246 on: <03-24-17/1322:21> »

Despite Waywalker's best attempt to evade the attack and a stunt involving a 180 degree spin, the root hit the van with the force of its corruption. The van suspension absorbed part of the damage, and Waywalker bled a little from his nose and ears, but the engine was still running. While the drones kept the root at bay, the van roared through the exhaust and ran through the tree branches in a blaze of glory!

[spoiler]
pilot groundcraft (jumped in): 12d6t5 6
drone pilot #1: 9d6t5 0
The drone spend its pass doing the same thing - i.e. shooting at the root, and then should follow the van
drone pilot: 9d6t5 3
drone pilot #2: 9d6t5 3
armadillo resists: 14d6t5 6
Armadillo takes 13 P damages on 19 boxes
Waywalker resists 7P of biofeedback
biofeedback: 10d6t5 4
Waywalker takes 3 P damages on 10 boxes and has -1 D
Next turn piloting with the malus
pilot groundcraft (jumped in): 11d6t5 4
[/spoiler]

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #247 on: <03-24-17/1810:14> »
Rex saw his chummer bleeding and asked him <<Give me a quick readout from your bio monitor>>
After studying the data for a second, Rex put his head on the man's thigh and concentrated, forcefully rerouting the errant chi. He had to drop the shield as this needed his full concentration.

[spoiler]
F3 Heal spell: -1 BC -3 Missing Essence Heal: 8d6t5 3[10d6t5=5, 3, 5, 1, 1, 4, 6, 2]
Drain Resist: 21d6t5 2
No Drain
[/spoiler]

With some amount of joy he realized that he had in fact managed to get it right on the first try. "Rawuff!"

That done, he quickly re-erected the shield.

[spoiler]
Mana Barrier F8: 13d6t5 4
Drain:
Drain Resist: 21d6t5 6
No Drain
[/spoiler]
talk think matrix

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #248 on: <03-25-17/0700:29> »
If the giant roots stomped on Waywalker's van hardly, the battered vehicle is still holding in one piece - one fast piece of battered metal still speeding through the ruins of Mohange. Despite the harsh conditition and all the feedback damage taken by the rigger, Waywalker still managed to, barely, slips through the bending tree trying to grab the smashed van. The condition of the road is still a nightmare, but between the Kami helps, protecting the ride against "surnatural" accident and the skillset of Waywaleker, the van finally leaves the city center, zizaging between the numerous cracks, holes and even debris blocking their way.

As the van escape the urban madness that have become Mohange, the runners can see the giant roots, bending tree and other threats somehow receding - either knocked out by Rex's spell or simply appease by their hasty departure. Regardless of the reason, both runners, quite exhausted by the encounter are certainly happy about it. If nothing else, their van is certainly appreciating not being used as a punching ball...

With danger being left behind, Waywalker returns to his numerous AR monitor and can pay, finally, attention to the upcoming meeting point. He then realizes that they just got a message from Racer:

>>> REX ENTITY, WAYWALKER ENTITY.... THE SHELL HAVE REACHED THE RENDEZVOUS POINT, BUT COULD NOT LAND. SHELL HAS BEEN RELOCATED HERE. PLEASE COME QUICKLY, OTHER ... ENTITIES / OPPENENTS (???) ARE CIRCLING OUR POSITION.

Attached to the message is a position, a bit father north than the previously agreed on. Sadly, the radiation level is higher than expected also, but it is only a few kilometer from the van current position, and given what Waywalker's sensor can gather, there is a road of somekind almost up to the meet point.

[spoiler]
@Jack_Spade sadly the newly picked location point has a background count of 3
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <03-25-17/0702:08> by belaran »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #249 on: <03-25-17/0924:53> »
<<Acknowledged, Racer. Meanwhile, we have found an exit way from the zone. We'll meet you momentarily.>>

Rex gritted his teeth as he felt the background count rising and the power of his shield waning. Even more problematic was, that he felt his chosen form flicker. If the shape changing spell he'd be wrecked again by pain. Besides, they were likely heading again into a combat area.

With heavy heart he thought: 'Oh Son of the Eastwind, you have proven yourself beyond all expectations and I thank you for all your works. I release you from our bargain and bid you fairwell.'

Again he concentrated and called and for an old "friend".

[spoiler]
Don't know how many services were left for the Air Spirit, but it can't have been many.
Drop Shield:

Channeling F8 Spirit of Men while we are still in low level BC
Summon R8 Spirit: 13d6t5 6
Spirit Resist: 8d6t5 2 [8d6t5=5, 2, 3, 2, 4, 5, 1, 3]
Drain resist: 21d6t5 8 [21d6t5=6, 1, 3, 3, 6, 6, 3, 6, 1, 6, 1, 2, 2, 6, 2, 5, 1, 3, 4, 1, 5]
4 Services
Powers: Shape Change, Increase Reflexes
Increase Reflexes F8: 13d6t5 6
Drain resist: 16d6t5 8
Shape Change F6 : 13d6t5 4
Drain resist: 16d6t5 6

Rex casts: Increase INT on himself:
Increase Intuition F8: 11d6t5 7
Drain: 21d6t5 5
No Drain
Spending 1 Karma to Quicken

Form of a Mountain Lion with
BOD 6(10) AGI 6(10) REA 6(10) STR 6(10) WIL 5(9) LOG 2 INT (5)9 CHA 8(12)
Ini: INT 9 + REA 10 + Spell 6 + 4d6= 25+5d6 (one extra dice from Great Cat form)
Bite/Claw: 13P AP -1
Once the BC rises by 2, this will be reduced to 19+4d6 

For Waywalker: Increase Reflexes F6: 13d6t5 6
Quicken with 1 Karma
Resist Drain F6: 21d6t5 8
No Drain
Gains +6 + 3D6 Ini
Once we are in BC 3 this reduces to +4 +2D6 Ini

[/spoiler]

Once again, Rex opened certain gates inside himself and called to the Kami known as the Great Hunter. He and the Beast were foe and brother, friend and rival, bound in an eternal struggle - which made Rex feel a certain turmoil inside him as his patron realized whom Rex had invited.
'This is a strange place to hunt. The kamis are wrong and not worthy of being prey.'
'I greet you Great Hunter. This may very well be, but where we are going there will be prey enough. Please, lend me your strength and guidance. Transform our body into the hunting beast and give swiftness to our limbs. For we are about to hunt the most dangerous game.'
'Mortal folly, to hunt in the blighted wilds, but never be it said that I feared to hunt at any place.'

Rex released his hold on the spell he maintained for his dog form and felt as his features transformed into the lithe body of a mountain lion, filling up the fabric of his K9 protective suit, while the micro actuators on his straps and flaps adjusted for the size increase.

<<Whatever we do, we can't stay there longer than five minutes. I have a spirit inside me now and I can't risk it turning toxic. It's bad enough that I called it at this place. I just hope that my body will give enough shelter to its essence to prevent it from turning.

Oh and before I forget it: Keep still, that might feel weird for a moment.>>

With that, he moved his tail, close to Waywalker's face an concentrated, granting him to the increased reaction speed, he himself was enjoying.

« Last Edit: <03-25-17/0942:26> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

Haywire

• Omae
« Reply #250 on: <03-25-17/1240:38> »

Despite the signal blocking the VR acted on his brain, Waywalker could still feel the warmth of Rex's healing spell.
"Thank you mate, at this rate you will have soybeer for your lifetime!"
The message in AR did not make Waywalker flich: often a meeting point is exactly where you will meet, just not the original one.
"I hope our suits will protect us enough to meet Racer...or at least that our payday will cover the medical expenses."

[spoiler]pilot groundcraft (jumped in): 14d6t5 4[/spoiler]

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #251 on: <03-25-17/1812:53> »
<<You keep me alive and I keep you alive and maybe we get out of this alive.
But yes, radiation is nasty. Hopefully there is enough lead in these suits.>>

Rex anxiously stared out of the window while they hurtled towards the new meeting place. Just in case it was necessary, he put the shield back up again, even though the background count would be chewing away on it.

[spoiler]
Casting Mana Barrier when BC hits 2
Mana Barrier F6: 12d6t5 3
Drain resist: 21d6t5 10
No Drain

[/spoiler]

talk think matrix

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #252 on: <03-28-17/2130:58> »
After the chaos, back in Mohange, it is, at first, refreshing for the runner to found out that the meet location agreed on with Racer is pretty isolated. Indeed, a small clearing, in a patch of trees, on top of one of the small hills, so typical of the region, just a few hundreds meter away from the remants of a road, is certainly "low key", even by SOX standards.

As the van get closer and closer, slowly ascending - and shacking, on the few stripes of asphalt left on the road, an eerie silence starts to surrounder the runner. Like in many other part of the SOX, wilderness has claimed back this part of the land, but in a twisted and rather disconcerting fashion. Radiation level are high here, and this can be seen quite clearly on the shape, or strange glow, of the local vegetation. Of course, those are not the only one affected by the radiation - as for instance the two-headed deer catched by Waywalker sensor array, for just a second, before the mutated Bambi jumps backs into the wood.

On the bright side - sort of speak, the weather is working well into their plan. A very thick fog seems to be covering the hills, and topped by a gloomy, dark skies. The runner can feel the tension in the air rising - confirmed by Waywalker sensor array: a storm is building up, and soon it will crack and pour rain, and thunder, on them. That will not make the exchange nice, nor comfortable, but it will make the jobs of their opponent, on their tail, that more difficult.

Once on top of the hill, Waywalker van goes off road, crushing the one meter high grass, and navigating between twisted trees to get to the clearance. The runner are happy to see that Racer has already parked the VTOL in, and, as they arrived, the AI is also invite them to MARK the device to open the rear door, leading to the cargo area holding the engine. Almost immediatly, Waywalker parks the van and deploys the Ares Mule he secured a while back...

Everything is going according to plan, for once, but the gloomy skies, the emptiness of the place and the eerie silence is certainly not making Rex and his partner in crime relaxed.

[spoiler]
Reminder: Radation level are now up to 3, so is the background count. Your radiation suit are protecting you from the effect of the radiation.

OOC, You do need to go in (or send someting with "hands") to unstrap and move the engine onto the mule. Also, what about Bernie ?
[/spoiler]

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #253 on: <03-29-17/0257:22> »
Rex opened a conversation: <<Hello Racer, glad to see you could make it. This is my friend Waywalker, he has brought some drones for you, but first we have to transport the engine into our car. We came in through a relatively unprotected part of the wall. Waywalker can jam the sensors there, so you can go through too.
Is that OK for you?>>

Rex didn't want to get out of the car. The radiation felt wrong to his mag senses, like red hot pins that someone flicked against his skin. At least he thought he felt that. Hard to say with the oppressive background count. He didn't want to think what it would feel like if he didn't wear the comical gimp suit.

To loosen the straps, he prepared the magic fingers spell. No need for Waywalker to get out there.

[spoiler]
Magic Fingers F6: 11d6t5 1
Drain resist: 20d6t5 10
Drop Spell.
Try again
Magic Fingers F6: 11d6t5 5
Drain resist: 20d6t5 5
No drain.

using Magic Fingers to open the straps.

[/spoiler]
talk think matrix

Haywire

• Omae
« Reply #254 on: <03-30-17/1546:43> »

"Here we are."
Waywalker scanned the surroundings to be sure nobody followed them.

[spoiler]EW throught the sensors: 21d6t5 7[/spoiler]