Shadowrun Missions Living Campaign > Living Campaign Discussion

May I Suggest Cribbing From Pathfinder Society

<< < (2/3) > >>

Spanner:
Bull, if your stated goal is to make Missions as close to a home game as possible, then I think you've got your work cut out for you.

Firstly, many of the missions GMs that I've encountered have been afraid to stray from the "script" of the Mission. You would need to re-iterate, very clearly, in each of the Mission introductions that the GM is allowed to adjudicate when needed, and that their changes are valid for the Mission, and for the Shadowrunners when they have a signed cert. These adjudications could include bonus payouts for cleverly negotiated solutions, additional NPC contacts when interactions call for it, extra Karma for unforeseen circumstances, etc.

Secondly, as you know, we have the current 4/1 downtime ruling which of course is the very opposite of a home game.

Additionally, there's the prohibition against "optional" rules in the book even when those rules serve to add balance to the game.

Please understand, I don't doubt your good intentions, but frankly, I don't think you can merge a "home tabletop" feel with a living campaign. I believe one embraces either one or the other and accepts the consequences of that decision.

Wasabi:
I dont see why SRM's can't become the standard FOR a home game.Sure, every GM has their own way of doing things but some things are just out of whack and need to be corrected for. If the SRM Coordinator has a line to Catalyst, give them a gamer/GM's perspective on what had tpo be changed for balance and why and then let Catalyst errata the game to make the SRM houserule implemented to balance SRM's become a standard rule.

If the standard rules are used for typical house games and become more balanced in this fashion then the game improves over time. Those GM's wanting modification can and would still be able to change things since all I'm suggesting is balancing RAW.

Its not the responsibility of missions to make the game better but its as close to a test condition environment as the CGL Demo Team will find.

TranKirsaKali:
I really like the loot and go that we have now.  But then again I have never run into a problem with people fighting over gear.  It has always gone to either the person that needed it most or the one that really wanted it.  Heck I have had gear foisted on me.  Here have more we don't want to bother selling it. 

Deacon:

--- Quote from: KarmaInferno on ---I dunno who'd you have to bribe for the author rights, but having a Claudia Tyger cameo would make my day.

--- End quote ---

Claudia's dead and gone.  She got blown up in the very end of Virtual Seattle.

The problem with the way Pathfinder handles gear is, they're still on the concept that magic items are rare and special.  In Shadowrun, gear is easily obtainable.  Get a Face at your table, and watch the high-Availability gear fall out of the sky, like manna from heaven.  (I play a Face in our Missions tables.  I've acquired some rather 'rare' items fairly easily.)  All you have to do to obtain gear is, make that Availability threshold and pay the nuyen.

If you scoop up some gear during the mission, fine and dandy.  But if one person nabs the modded Ares Alpha, that doesn't mean someone else can't nab that bodyguard's custom cybereyes (what?  he can get new eyes).  It's realistic that way.  And Shadowrun is a game partially based in reality.

-Deacon

Spanner:

--- Quote from: Deacon on ---
--- Quote from: KarmaInferno on ---I dunno who'd you have to bribe for the author rights, but having a Claudia Tyger cameo would make my day.

--- End quote ---

Claudia's dead and gone.  She got blown up in the very end of Virtual Seattle.

The problem with the way Pathfinder handles gear is, they're still on the concept that magic items are rare and special.  In Shadowrun, gear is easily obtainable.  Get a Face at your table, and watch the high-Availability gear fall out of the sky, like manna from heaven.  (I play a Face in our Missions tables.  I've acquired some rather 'rare' items fairly easily.)  All you have to do to obtain gear is, make that Availability threshold and pay the nuyen.

If you scoop up some gear during the mission, fine and dandy.  But if one person nabs the modded Ares Alpha, that doesn't mean someone else can't nab that bodyguard's custom cybereyes (what?  he can get new eyes).  It's realistic that way.  And Shadowrun is a game partially based in reality.

-Deacon

--- End quote ---

I will point out that, per the FAQ, both of your paragraphs are illegal (buying gear at the table and looting cyberware from dead enemies). Logical, but illegal nonetheless. I was trying to post a suggestion that works within the rules we have now. If those rules were thrown out...well...that's a different story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version