NEWS

Need help with how Technomancers works

• 1 Replies

Edward11

• Newb
« on: <01-19-20/1139:49> »
I am a fairly new player and I have some doubts about technomancers, my first and actual character is a Decker so I have certain similarity with the Matrix. I wanted to make my first character a technomancer but DM saids to step back because its to hard, by what I've read on the books I really enjoyed it but there a few things I dont understand.

I know that Complex forms are like decker actions in matrix (e.g. data spike and resonance spike), but what about sprites ? they have their own skills, what does this mean ?? how does their powers work I mean, technically, I already know what they do, but not the DP works. reverse phone lookupnba redditpcpartpicker And how does keeping sprites work ? When I register a sprite it stays on the Ressonance or it automatically spawns in the matrix ?
« Last Edit: <01-19-20/2304:24> by Edward11 »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-19-20/1145:28> »
First question: Are you asking about 5th edition, or the brand new 6th world edition?

But some generalities apply across editions:

Technomancers can do all the same matrix actions that Deckers do.  Of course, since they don't use cyberdecks then they can't do the cyberdeck-specific things like swapping ASDF values or run cyberprograms, etc.  But, if you want to throw a Data Spike, for example, the task is resolved the same way whether you're a decker or a technomancer.

Where Technomancers differ from Deckers (other than not using a cyberdeck) is they have access to Resonance powers.  These parallel, more or less, the rules for magic.  Complex Forms are basically "spells you can cast in the matrix" and Sprites are basically "Spirits that live in the matrix".  The rules nitty gritty of course begins to get slightly different, depending on which edition you're playing.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.