NEWS

[SR5] Street Grimoire - reprinting?

• 122 Replies

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #45 on: <08-03-16/0457:47> »
I'd long mumbled about not liking reading pdfs, so I snapped up a copy of the new paperback version of the Grimoire, to have both a paper copy and the errata incorporated. I just checked a few items, and it doesn't look like they made it into the paper version any more than they did into the pdf.  At least the pdf can get re-issued again.

At least I can now mark it up by hand, which is looking more and more like the surest way to have the errata on hand ....  ::)

In the Quality biz, this is what we'd call a critical non-conformance, the sort of thing where '"we promise we'll do better next time" doesn't really cut it as a corrective action.  Catalyst needs to look at a major change of processes, or how they resource the role responsible, because clearly a key activity of the company is routinely failing.  It is the sort of thing that, in other businesses at least, contracts (and jobs) get lost for.

A critical non-conformance that is the main common issue across nearly everything published in the SR5 range since release.  Like I said, I don't know what's going on at Catalyst, but something between the editorial and publishing stages is failing QC and not getting caught.

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #46 on: <08-03-16/0530:42> »
The original price of the SG was $50...down $10 to $40 (before discounting). It is updated to incorporate errata/edits and the PDF will be revised as well.

Maybe I'm just too naïve, but when AJ Carrington passes along this type of information I wanted to believe it.

Fool me nine times...
I'll be the first to agree that Catalyst has a communications problem, but that has nothing to do with AJ's efforts to keep us appraised of what's going on.

I pass along the info get... :-\
And you are greatly appreciated. For all my criticism of Catalyst and their business practice, I for one would just like to know that none of that extends to your efforts here. As someone who doesn't use the tumbler or Facebook, your information is what keeps me up to date on what's going on in the 6th World, so thank you for that.

It was not my intention to shoot the messenger, and I'm sorry if you got that impression.

I specifically mentioned information passed by AJ as it's usually 100% accurate, and like everyone else here I truly appreciate AJ's efforts in keeping us updated.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <08-03-16/0849:20> »
Does anyone have a physical copy of the second printing yet?

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #48 on: <08-03-16/1316:57> »
Yes (hence my earlier comment that at least now I can mark up errata by hand)

I checked drain/range codes (first table in the errata) and those were not in.  neither were the corrected wording for the shapechange spell, several instances of  object resistance threshold versus the revised wording.  Didn't check everything in the errata document, but none of the errata that I checked were in the physical copy.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <08-03-16/1349:34> »
Come on, Catalyst, you can do better than this.

I'm not sure if they need to hire people, or fire someone, but they need to do SOMETHING before they end up driving away their customer base with this bulldrek.

I have the patience of a saint, but even my tolerance is being stretched thin. Which is sad, because I LOVE Shadowrun. I'd hate to see it ruined by the drooling incompetence or deliberate sabotage of the people who own the rights. :'(
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <08-03-16/1607:44> »
Thanks Beta. Not what I wanted to hear, but needed to know.

I've passed this along as well.

adzling

« Reply #51 on: <08-03-16/1649:12> »

Mephisto

• Newb
« Reply #52 on: <08-03-16/1910:19> »

Their track record would indicate otherwise.

I too want to believe, but there's a P.T. Barnum aspect creeping into this whole thing. I too love Shadowrun, down to my core, and it kills me to see it (not to mention they're customer base) (mis)treated this way.

At least I hear there's now an index. I figure we'll only have to buy 5-6 printings to get the book we should have had 1st time around.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #53 on: <08-03-16/1920:38> »
this

fire someone

This assumes someone CAN be fired...

My limited amount of research into InMediaRes/Catalyst shows me that there is very few people in the company as a whole, and many of them are shareholders/limited partners.

Meaning, actual employees numbers are small. And this is supported by their use of freelancers for most of the artwork and writing.
Catalyst's assets are also small, and the fact that they are dealing with a licensed material places them in a hard spot, as a portion of revenue must go back to the license holders (in some cases, as high as 75%. Although I have no idea what Catalyst's agreement states).

In short, its easy to say shit without knowing anything, and once you know something, then  suddenly options dry up.

It could be a very real case of being between a Rock and a Hard Place for catalyst.... And given how many studios that publish PnP material have turned to dust in the last few decades..... very hard for Catalyst to just 'hire' someone..... or even 'fire someone'....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

tytalan

• Newb
« Reply #54 on: <08-03-16/1943:14> »
We never had this much problems with FanPro but than they cared about the game

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #55 on: <08-03-16/2005:34> »
You mean other then the mess 4e was? (Hence the 4eA book that corrected a lot of those issues.)

Or the fact that FanPro broke their contract for non-payment of royalites?

Or the fact that FanPro dropped plot scripts and didn't pay some writers?

FanPro had MANY issues, just not as many people whined about it back then.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #56 on: <08-03-16/2055:40> »

I too want to believe, but there's a P.T. Barnum aspect creeping into this whole thing. I too love Shadowrun, down to my core, and it kills me to see it (not to mention they're customer base) (mis)treated this way.

At least I hear there's now an index. I figure we'll only have to buy 5-6 printings to get the book we should have had 1st time around.

They have the ability to do better, they just haven't, either by choice or some other reason. Which is what makes this even more irritating.

Hell, my future brother in law's dream is to one day have the money to buy the rights to SR and FIX THIS DREK

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #57 on: <08-03-16/2249:26> »
Good luck with that.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #58 on: <08-03-16/2305:37> »
Never said it was a realistic dream.

Mephisto

• Newb
« Reply #59 on: <08-04-16/0229:33> »

They have the ability to do better, they just haven't, either by choice or some other reason. Which is what makes this even more irritating.

Hell, my future brother in law's dream is to one day have the money to buy the rights to SR and FIX THIS DREK

I have the same dream (unfortunately involving the lottery...) and have posted about it on the Shadowrun subreddit.

I'd get all the licenses (PnP, video game, Earthdawn, etc.) back under one roof, as well as other plans, and give them the respect they deserve.

Excuse me, alarm is going off, time to wake up...
« Last Edit: <08-04-16/0235:34> by Mephisto »