NEWS

Ally spirits, need some clarifications.

• 15 Replies

Dayman

• Newb
« on: <05-23-15/1007:47> »
The subject recently came up in my missions group and one of the players would like to explore the possibility of getting a ally spirit.
At first I thought they weren't allowed but my google-fu turned up a response from Bull confirming that they were indeed allowed. However there is one complication, you need a formula for the spirit. Now you are not allowed to "craft" stuff in missions so that would indicate that you can't make the formula. However you can get the formula by going on a metaplanar quest. Now I am not sure if metaplanar quests are allowed in missions or not or how long they would take if they are. The book also points out that an initiate can locate a formula that matches her needs.
The way I would tackle this in a home game if I didn't want to play out the metaplanar quest would be to simply allow the player to go on the quest, find the formula and write it down and have him cut one week of his lifestyle. This is assuming he has already initiated at least once. This could also be grabbed as part of an initiation.

So my question is simple, how do players go about getting the formula for a allied spirit in missions? (I realise the answer may not be as simple as the question)
« Last Edit: <05-23-15/1009:34> by Dayman »

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1 on: <05-23-15/1642:42> »
That is a damn good question.  I'll get back to you.  I forgot about the Formula.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-23-15/1908:09> »
Hmmm... just as a suggestion, there's already in the FAQ rules for The Nine Paths of Enlightenment to lower initiation cost. Perhaps as a place to start is 'Must complete X Paths, where X is the Force of the Ally spirit Formula"
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Dayman

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-05-15/1713:42> »
So, any word? did this slip through the cracks or have you guys just been too busy what with all these cons and new books?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-05-15/2017:14> »
So, any word? did this slip through the cracks or have you guys just been too busy what with all these cons and new books?

Dunno why you're expecting to hear anything before the next FAQ update...
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #5 on: <07-05-15/2143:24> »
LOL, lighten up.  4 posts, he's new.

It'll probably be a while, friend, your assessment is correct about how busy everyone is :)
That's just like... your opinion, man.

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #6 on: <07-05-15/2334:20> »
Otoh, with Gencon and the new books, it may get answered soon.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Dayman

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <07-08-15/1655:23> »

Dunno why you're expecting to hear anything before the next FAQ update...

I would like to refer you to the first of the special rules in the  missions FAQ and kindly ask you not to talk to me like an idiot, in turn I will do the same for you. Here are some ways you could have said the exact same thing without breaking Wheaton's Law.

"They usually put this in the FAQs so you'll probably just have to wait for that."
"There has been a lot of stuff going on so they're probably just busy with that."
"Your probably right about them being busy what with all these cons and books."

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #8 on: <07-09-15/1609:29> »
Per a recent Critical Glitch episode, Ray Rigel has brought together a team to review the Missions FAQ. Work on it is progressing right now. I can say that your question has been passed on for consideration. Stay tuned!
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Dayman

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <07-10-15/0825:57> »
Thank you.

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <07-11-15/0236:40> »
If Ally spirits are allowed and the formula available.. it's on and crackin'. 

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #11 on: <07-13-15/2322:10> »
A quick update from the Missions FAQ committee. We're looking at this , but it's not going to make the (hopefully) pre-GenCon FAQ update. It's in the queue of items we'll be addressing after GenCon though. Thanks in advance for your patience - we're plowing through the new material and outstanding questions as quickly as we can.

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <07-19-15/0941:00> »
Under getting the formula it says that the player can research it or hire someone to do it for him (though it hints this isn't a good idea).Is there a reason you can't just buy the formula like any other formula for a spell, preparation, or foci?

Just curious since it is in there if it was being overlooked or had been forbidden.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #13 on: <07-19-15/2356:34> »
The short version is that creating the formula for an ally spirit costs the creator karma.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #14 on: <07-20-15/0540:42> »
The short version is that creating the formula for an ally spirit costs the creator karma.

If that ends up being the case, it needs to be spelled out in the FAQ.  There's no formula that requires Karma to research/learn in either the BBB or Street Grimoire--just skill and time.  The formula tells you how much Karma you need to spend to use the formula, but not just to learn the formula.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)