NEWS

Changelings and Drakes

• 16 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« on: <09-13-10/1105:45> »
Let me prefix this by mentioning that to me, personally, it can be a blast playing the weird, but the weird is most definitely not acceptable at all tables-- I do understand that many a GM will not allow a character with either trait, let alone both, if it does not fit the play style they have in mind.

That said, the question:
I would like clarification on whether SURGE attributes carry over when a drake shifts-- both good and bad.

Example: A human has the Western Drake alternate form, and the SURGE qualities Shiva Arms and Celerity, also Striking Skin Pigmentation and Third Eye.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-13-10/1130:27> »
I'd say that there is nothing in RAW against it (Surge carrying over)
BUT....as a GM I wouldn't allow such a Char.
a Drake is supposed to be unique,rare and "Surging" him is over the Top kind of Munchkinning
(ImO  & no Offense meant)

it can be a blast playing the weird,
yes It can, I'm playing Hobbits and Nartaki Elves myself ;)
but Surge is one weird factor and a Drake another one too.Both would be (ImO) way (WAHAY !!!)too Much

with WAHAY too much dancing
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-13-10/1603:49> »
Would pretty much be the same for me, one or the other, but not both.
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #3 on: <09-14-10/0027:38> »
I'd say that there is nothing in RAW against it (Surge carrying over)
BUT....as a GM I wouldn't allow such a Char.
a Drake is supposed to be unique,rare and "Surging" him is over the Top kind of Munchkinning
(ImO  & no Offense meant)

/signed
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-14-10/0031:10> »
Agreed.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #5 on: <09-14-10/0418:44> »
Meh, drakes are a sucking point waste from a munchkining standpoint.

SURGEing a drake can't possibly make up for that fact.

Therefore, the choice is a RP choice.  Some people might want to keep that weirdness from twisting their game away from the preferred style, but that's a personal choice.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-14-10/0442:47> »
Anyway, "by the rule", there's only the mention that you choose your standard metatype before the drake advantage. It may mean that SURGE does not carry over the shapeshifting. It's also said that the drake commonly keep something from it's metahuman form (color of the eyes, and so).
So, what I'd say : you may carry over some attributes from your metahuman form, but it's purely esthetic. Third eye, why not, but you won't get any modifier from it, striking skin pigmentation, no problem, shiva arms, no way.
But your metahuman shiva arms may shift into the wings since you've chosen a western drake.
« Last Edit: <09-14-10/0739:38> by anotherJack »
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #7 on: <09-14-10/0813:09> »
I tend to see this in the same light as an old player of mine who liked to max out cyber, and then pile on the bioware in a 2nd Ed game back in the day. Sure it may be technically legal, but it kind of takes all of the fun out of things because it's a bit on the...too much side.

If you wand wierd, you can get that in other ways. I used to play an old style Rigger who had a bad cerebral booster installed. Didnt really "do" anything in game terms, but gave me an excuse to have multiple personalities. Some of my favorites were the WWII RAF pilot, the Redneck NASCAR Driver, the Stoner Pizza deliery boy, the Indian Cabdriver, the Jewish grandfather from New York (reitired to Bocaof course), and the soycaf swilling-caffine addicted hyperactive, smoking teen who lost his license. Rolled a D6 every adventure or when I took any kind of head trauma.

Good times.

Point is, you don't need "rules" to be wierd.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-14-10/0830:09> »

Therefore, the choice is a RP choice.  Some people might want to keep that weirdness from twisting their game away from the preferred style, but that's a personal choice.

Have to agree with this.  Drakes make for super fun characters, but they are far from being over the top munchkin. 

On the other hand, I would make them take negative qualities that actually manifest in both forms if they wanted the bonus in both :p

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-14-10/1042:29> »
I tend to see this in the same light as an old player of mine who liked to max out cyber, and then pile on the bioware in a 2nd Ed game back in the day. Sure it may be technically legal, but it kind of takes all of the fun out of things because it's a bit on the...too much side.

If you wand wierd, you can get that in other ways. I used to play an old style Rigger who had a bad cerebral booster installed. Didnt really "do" anything in game terms, but gave me an excuse to have multiple personalities. Some of my favorites were the WWII RAF pilot, the Redneck NASCAR Driver, the Stoner Pizza deliery boy, the Indian Cabdriver, the Jewish grandfather from New York (reitired to Bocaof course), and the soycaf swilling-caffine addicted hyperactive, smoking teen who lost his license. Rolled a D6 every adventure or when I took any kind of head trauma.

Good times.

Point is, you don't need "rules" to be wierd.

True.  However, I had a concept that I wanted to see if it was supported by the rules. I'm a bit of an extreme example, but what one person may see as fun, another might see as 'meh.' Many people push the envelope of character possibilities in different directions; exploring the possibilities of magic, cyber, bio, or metahuman potential. I've found it interesting and fun to play something strange and fun in a world where its only accepted on the Trid. Along the line, something else will undoubtedly inspire me to explore other roleplay areas.

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-14-10/1046:20> »

Have to agree with this.  Drakes make for super fun characters, but they are far from being over the top munchkin. 

On the other hand, I would make them take negative qualities that actually manifest in both forms if they wanted the bonus in both :p

Ayep.  I'm not that good at eking out that 26th die for the skill of doom. Surge III and a drake eats up some 80 build points between the two.

I probably should note that the negative qualities I chose could easily manifest in both forms. ;)

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #11 on: <09-14-10/1051:16> »
I'm about to prove how happy(Blissful) I am. RAW is which book?
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-14-10/1055:40> »
I'm about to prove how happy(Blissful) I am. RAW is which book?

RAW is often used for Rules As Written.
RAI represents Rules As Intended.

Hope that helps!

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <09-14-10/1127:08> »
Of course, RAI can probably often considered as "Rules as I want" :-)
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #14 on: <09-15-10/2335:04> »
In some cases I've wondered if RAI = rules as imagined.  ;D hehehe
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP