NEWS

Cyber weaponry: what's the point?

• 36 Replies

welldressedgent

• Chummer
« on: <07-16-15/1523:45> »
No pun intended, but why? They're detectable. They're common. You'd think every rent a cop would know by now search the thumb for a monowhip and the wrist for a cyberspur.

-wdg
wdg

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-16-15/1556:37> »
They do, doesn't make them any less useful on the streets.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <07-16-15/1557:03> »
Are they?

And, are they?

How many people in the world have a cyber-limb? How many of those would put a weapon in one?

Don't confuse a shadowrunner's SOP for that of everyone. The vast majority of police call outs are for the same crap as today, 98% are people acting badly, and 2% are violence related.

Of that 2% I doubt that cyber weaponry makes up a large percentage.

As for why?
It's a concealed weapon that is not easily found, nor easily disarmed, meaning you have a better chance of getting it past security then a light pistol (or the assault rifles many builds like).
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-16-15/1758:37> »
No pun intended, but why? They're detectable. They're common. You'd think every rent a cop would know by now search the thumb for a monowhip and the wrist for a cyberspur.

How do you detect them even if they are present? Search every finger of every person that comes into a building? Not likely and not really feasible. You run them thru a (MAD) scanner and then the SR rules apply for detection.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-16-15/1820:18> »
-10 Concealability for Smuggling compartments and Fingertips.  I don't recall the number for Cyberweapons but I presume it's similar.  Basically, you're not going to find it.  Maybe a full body strip search gets you an outside chance.

So either a MAD or a Cyberscanner.  A monowhip should coast on past an MAD, as well as a few other specific weapons.  Remember kids, insist on Titanium claws!  : )  Even then a weapon implanted inside a cyberlimb should be nearly MAD proof as "Yes, officer, my arm is metal."  Unless the MAD gets a pile of hits and is sensitive enough to detect specific metal outlines *inside* a metal container.   

Cyberscanners are really the only thing that is likely to spot an implanted weapon, and they need enough hits to detect the Cyberware and in some cases more to I.D.  the sub-systems.  "Again, yes, my Arm is Cybernetic, thank you officer, is there anything else?" 

Chemsniffers can spot the ammo, but if the ammo is sealed in, it's unlikely, but its about the best chance.

RAW a Deltaware Fingertip compartment is going to get you and your monowhip pretty much anywhere.  Ditto a Deltaware limb and a Smuggling compartment/implanted weapon.  Best scanner is rating 8 with 3 extra dice from modifiers so 11 dice.  Any Delta ware needs 5 hits just to spot, and potentially a sixth to get info on the sub systems.  Very unlikely.  For around 50k you can have a Monowhip and SMG pretty much anywhere.  Delta Fingertip Monowhip, Delta Lower Leg and Smuggling compartment, throw in a MAD proof H&K Combat SMG.  'gratz!  You're about as lethal as the Adept or Mage that don't need silly guns or knives.   

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-16-15/1853:36> »
Ohhh man... Deltaware Arm with a cyber-modified Streetline Special.. yaknow, that holdout designed to get past MAD scanners?

Sure they don't do much, but load them EX-Explosive, ADPS or some inventive Capsule rounds and they can sill be pretty dangerous in a situation no one is expecting someone to have a gun.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

LordGrizzle

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <07-16-15/1919:12> »
Yes but standard grade implant weapons are still detectable which brings me to the question: How COMMON are cyberscanners and mad

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-16-15/1920:36> »
Yes but standard grade implant weapons are still detectable which brings me to the question: How COMMON are cyberscanners and mad

As common as the GM needs them to be.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

LordGrizzle

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <07-16-15/1929:34> »
I talked about this topic a while ago on these forums and someone told me that I was doing it wrong if not every school had at least MAD scanners, every stuffer shack, every everything outside of the barrens of whatever metroplex you are in has like at least mad scanners. Is that a good interpretation or is that a bit too much what I got told back then

adzling

« Reply #9 on: <07-16-15/1945:17> »
Given the prevalence of 'ware and weapons I'd have to agree.

LordGrizzle

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <07-16-15/1952:10> »
Which would put us back to avarage implanted weapons, especially at the beginning of a campaign, being terrible

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-16-15/2025:41> »
Depends on the area, too.

For example, the Barrens? Law enforcement almost never goes there and, when they do, it's in big loud screaming trucks with dozens of guys. The rest of the time, you fend for yourself, and having a pop-out set of deathblades in your arm's only a positive. Bop around teh scuzzier sections of teh normal city, keep 'em hidden unless you *need* 'em, and you'll be fine.

Once you move up to middle class areas or downtown, you'll start running into places where being teh baddest man on the street will stop you from going in, and teh fancy places,like private schools, will have scanners set up. The litle mom-n-pop run by a Dwarven couple wants you to buy or get out "This isn't a library, punk!" but they're not going to shell out for a scanner, so you can always go get you a little fruity soyda when you're down.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <07-16-15/2035:24> »
I talked about this topic a while ago on these forums and someone told me that I was doing it wrong if not every school had at least MAD scanners, every stuffer shack, every everything outside of the barrens of whatever metroplex you are in has like at least mad scanners. Is that a good interpretation or is that a bit too much what I got told back then

Definitely seems like a bit much. If you have a little shop with a MAD scanner, every time it goes off, which could be very often, you would have to check their licenses to see if what they have is legal and/or you need to get people to check all weaponry at the door since many people would carry weapons legally, and then you would STILL have a problem with anyone that had a cyberlimb (which is completely legal). Way too much hassle for the average shop.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-16-15/2039:23> »
A lot of it is going to come down to game style.. a Pink Mohawk game isn't going to bother much about this unless it's for the added challenge of the crew being limited to what they can smuggle in.

For a deep shadows mirrored shades game on the other hand, yeah, you can probably expect that sort of thing being a lot more prevalent.

There really isn't a be-all-to-end-all answer to this kind of thing.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <07-16-15/2109:26> »
Ohhh man... Deltaware Arm with a cyber-modified Streetline Special.. yaknow, that holdout designed to get past MAD scanners?

Sure they don't do much, but load them EX-Explosive, ADPS or some inventive Capsule rounds and they can sill be pretty dangerous in a situation no one is expecting someone to have a gun.

HK Urban Combat SMG immune to MAD (Run and Gun p. 36) and a Large Smuggling compartment, conveniently will fit in a partial leg.  Or just build the SMG into an Arm with the new Cyberweapon rules from Chrome Flesh.  Carry a Monowhip and SMG, just about anywhere, for around 50k, 3 or 4 runs in, give or take.  The Deltaware is easy, the SMG is actually the toughest to get.   

The Ammo is more likely to give you away to chem sniffers than the cyber or gun.