NEWS

[SR5] Help my first shadowrun character! (missions)

• 5 Replies

Nacho Grande

• Newb
« on: <11-09-13/2041:06> »
This is my first ever shadowrun character. It will be for missions only so it has to be very square on the rules. I probably made some mistakes, so please check my math if you can and any helpful suggestions would be great!

I was inspired by a new pokemon actually, Chesnaught,( if there are any other pokefans), so i made a troll tank, a running, spiky juggernaught. I've read some other forums where there are a lot of troll tank hatred. it is not my plan to be OP or ruin others' fun so if i am close to doing that, let me know!  also since i am new, it is an easier concept for my first character...so no magic or decking planned.

here he is: Porkpie (like porcupine but easier to say)

A:Troll [5]  (all points to edge)
B: Attributes [20]
C: Skills 28/2
D:nuyen 50k
E: magic resonance 0

Attributes:    Body: 9 (11)       Agility: 5     Reaction:5    Strength: 9     Will: 5    Logic: 1   Int:  3   Cha: 1   Edge: 6     ( I bought 2 points of int with karma later)                                 
                      Essence 5.0

Skills:
Outdoors group 2
Automatics 3
Throwing weapons 3
Unarmed 5
Archery 4

Running 4
Gymnastics 3
Sneaking 2
First Aid 4
Intimidate 1

Knowledges: Smuggling routes 3, Parazoology 3, Aztechnology (street) 2. 

Qualities: Bilingual (5) english and spanish, High pain tolerance (2 ranks) [14],  Negs- distinctive style (5), moderate allergy:bees (15).
      The rest of gained karma was spent on raising intuition to 3 and 1 point to 2k nuyen,

Contacts: armorer 2/2, cartel member 1/1

So 52k nuyen total?   
Low lifestyle 4k  (double for trolls), Aluminum bone lacing 18k, Armor Jacket- (shock frills, non conductive 5, fire resist 5) 2750? 3750?,
contacts (rating 3) smartlink, flare comp, image link (2875). earbuds (rating 3)- audio enhance 3, sound filter 3 [2400], transys avalon commlink (6) 5k,
helmet 100, ballistic shield 1200, silencer, spare clipsx5, 2 medkits [rating 5], 200 rounds reg ammo,
2 fake SIN rating 2, 10k. 5 fake licenses rating 2 2k (i'm sure i need em),
ares crusader II 830, ares lightfire 75 1250, survival knife 100, 2 flashbangs 200, 2 frags 200

i got to play one mission already as a pregen, so i have 14k more to play with and an additional 7 karma. i would like to raise my logic and charisma at least once, maybe twice...would like to be smarter than a devilrat :) also bonespurs are a must for next session

any help is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: <11-09-13/2219:27> by Pork pie »

Nacho Grande

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <11-09-13/2047:09> »
In case you were curious, i like the idea of him being nicaraguan/costa rican for some reason (metal gear peacewalker probably) so aztlan nationality. so he is used to jungle living. He has done smuggling to UCAS and spent a lot of time in Denver until he found out about the abounding opportunities in chicago. So he went there for good work. He is allergic to bees, so it should be funny to see if I run into any bugs in chicago, if those bugs are the same as regular bees that is..and if a stinger can get through his thick skin, then i deserve the penalty! lol

it's pretty vague, but i have a few ideas bouncing around, any ideas for this would help too, as my only knowledge of SR universe is from the neo anarchist podcast and some stories about chicago

SavarWallk

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <11-09-13/2140:59> »

Outdoors group 1
Firearms group 1
-pistols 1
-auto 3 (specialization machine pistol+2)
-longarms 1

I don't know if you can Specialize in a group ?
unless you use Karma and brake the group
No trees were harmed in the sending of this  message...however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Nacho Grande

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-09-13/2155:16> »
i was confused about that, i put two skill points in auto, then specialized in machine pistols. is that illegal?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-09-13/2201:33> »
You can't break skill groups with skill points, only with Karma expenditures:
Quote from: page 88 (Step Five: Purchase Skills)
In addition, skill groups cannot be broken up in this step, so individual skill points cannot raise the ratings of skills purchased as a group. (Note that skill groups can be broken up in Step Seven: Spend Your Left Over Karma (p. 98).
Your skill point expenditures seem a bit confusing anyway: you seem to have 28 skill points invested into basic skill levels, and then 7 specializations (which also cost a skill point each, or 7 Karma if done in Step Seven), putting the total at 35, not 28, skill points.

Nacho Grande

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-09-13/2216:23> »
i thought i read somewhere that specializations cost points, but i did a quick glance through today and thought i read it was free. but you're absolutely right, i looked harder and it's on page 88. I'll edit my skills up there then. and fix the firearms skill.   

made it outdoors group 2, and got rid of all specializations
« Last Edit: <11-09-13/2220:01> by Pork pie »